• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
    You're telling me, man.
    Wait, Cory, you were one of the first to say you were in....you aren't coming?

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Yea I know :/. My work schedule isn't going to permit it. And that weekend I've got a wedding I'm told is more important for me to be at. :? Just bad timing.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I hear you man. I can't get away with going either. It sounds like the rest of you guys are going to have a heck of a good time though.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

More for us!!
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Plan on being at the range by 0830, Thursday. If you guys want to caravan in, we can meet in Price between 0800-0815. The range is pretty easy to find, with directions from the Highway.

From Price, drive south on SR-10 7 miles, turn right at the Hiawatha Junction, Drive for 3 miles, turn right at Wattis Junction, Follow the signs and you are at the North Springs Shooting Range.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

See you all soon. 0830 at the Lodge at North Springs, tomorrow morning (Thursday).
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                See you all soon. 0830 at the Lodge at North Springs, tomorrow morning (Thursday).
                Good luck man. I hope it all goes really well out there for you, and that everybody has a great time!

Comment

• PredatorDown
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2014

Stay safe and have fun everyone!! I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing reports from everyone!

And again, if this turns into an annual thing I'll be the first to reserve my spot for next year

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I wish I was there...

Have fun and be safe.
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

I'm really hating my life right now!!! I hope y'all are having fun.
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Day one is in the books. First, this is a GREAT facility! easily the best kept shooting secret location I'd never heard of! Very well maintained, exceptional equipment and staging.

We started in Cowboy town about 10:30 AM after we were all checked in and safety lectures were completed with close contact pistol training, using retention and close quarters shooting drills, then developing into recovery drills after being knocked down, learning shooting from the ground techniques, including draws from concealment while flat on your back. In addition we worked on lateral and retreating techniques while maintaining sight picture and proper draw and shooting techniques. The focus was on using basic skills, but developing something that worked for you, without enforcement of a "one size fits all" mentality.

Cowboy lunch of barbecued ribs, dutch oven potatoes and dutch oven corn and vegetables followed by apple cobbler a la mode.

After lunch we worked on additional concealed pistol exercises, then switched ranges with the local PD and we switched to carbines.

Using running targets and flipper targets we worked on close and short range drills, then culminated with a shoot off, eliminating the slowest shooter on successive flipper shoots.

Darkness fell, pizza was ordered, and we went back to Cowboy town. After eating, we were recharged, and about 9:30 we began low light/night exercises. For all but a few, this was a brand new experience, and there was a big learning curve. Focus was on using a handheld light, while shooting single handed, something completely foreign to me and several others. This is a skill which will need a lot of refinement, but that is necessary and very useful. We focused on light on/off evolvements with lateral movement incorporated into the process. We finally quit about 11 PM, and scattered to get some rest.

There are pictures and video, and we'll get some up, but it will not be until after we are done and back home. Day 2 starts at 0830 and will be mostly mid range and designated marksman oriented. Ranges out to 1000 yards.

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Thanks for the update, looking forward to the pictures and videos.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Day two focused on skills associated with Designated Marksmen. Morning was focused on getting good 100 yard zeros on all the carbines and rilfes. In addition to 5.56 carbines and Grendels, we zeroed AR10's in 6.5 Creedmoor and .308, as well as a bolt action Sig .308 and a 30-06. Finally some of us spent some time zeroing an Ulfberht .338 out to 1000 yards.

Lunch showed up and was a great Mexican meal that included tamales, Mexican rice, beans and salad with brownies for dessert.

After lunch, we were off to Buffalo canyon, were there were targets from 70 yards out to 800. The students took the opportunity to work their way out to the smaller buffalo steel in the canyon and then up to the big steel at 400 yards and the final buffalo at nearly 800 yards. Many of the guys were able to get hits on the buffalo, even with 16 inch carbines. A few of the more experienced guys were working from target to target with one shot hits and at least one developed a fairly sophisticated dope book.

The evening ended with low light carbine training using lights on the carbines. This was a new experience for many, again.

We finally finished up about 11:15 PM and headed for bed to be ready for the culmination exercises on Saturday.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Great report Bill. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Comment

• am4966
                                Chieftain
                                • Jul 2014

A great read!
                                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                                X