• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stanc View Post
    Perhaps ammo availability and/or cost may be factors?
    Exactly what I was thinking. Cost often beats out performance and efficiency.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Nukes
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
      The 6.5 Grendel was the first (and last) time I violated my own dictum to avoid non-mainstream chamberings. Intense scrounging and acceptance of gouging allowed us to overcome the ammo/component shortage, but I am unwilling to do that again. So, ammo variety and availability demands that our first MDR will be a .308.
      Sometimes the crystal balls works. :-) It's a .308.

To Desert Tech's great credit, they have prioritized getting suppressors to buyers before the Kenyan's July 13 NFA trust changes.

...but it looks like a 6.5 Grendel chambering is not likely this year, just .308 and 5.56 initially.

Will Keltic be the first with a 6.5 Grendel bullpup?

Last edited by Nukes; 04-28-2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

I'm sorry Kel Tec's grendel isnot a bullpup to me, it's just a crazy mutation like some of there other offerings they've had in the past. But others might feel differently than I and it's cool
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
          Warrior
          • Apr 2013

This SHOT Show 2016 video shows how to switch the Micro Dynamic Rifle forward ejection system from one side to the other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQod2mnbrw8

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
            Warrior
            • Apr 2013

January 15, 2014:
            Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
            I today sent the following letter-input to Desert Tech President & CEO, Nick Young:

"Dear Mr. Young:

"First, I'll take this opportunity to applaud your recent decision re the Pakistan arms deal. My hat off to you for taking the high road.

"It was with great anticipation that I looked forward to the unveiling of the new Desert Tech Micro Dynamic Rifle (MDR). And, I shared with others the hope --- I dare state, the expectation --- that the highly inticing statement, "Convertible between 5 calibers," meant to include the 21st Century ultra-efficient, can-do 6.5mm Grendel cartridge.

"I've been working with Bullpup rifles, since the 1970's. I think it's fair to state that the term, "Micro Dynamic Rifle," represents the essence of a compact, easy-to-carry, all-purpose Bullpup rifle. Enter: the "Micro Dynamic Cartridge," the 6.5mm Grendel.

"Using 16" barrels, I've compared the downrange Velocity (fps) and Energy (ft-lbs) values for the 6.5mm Grendel (123-grain, BC - 0.510), the 6.8mm SPC (110-grain, BC - 0.370) and the .308 Winchester (150-grain, BC - 0.314), to 600 yards (Drift, with 10 mph crosswind):

. . . 6.5mm Grendel . . . . . . 6.8mm SPC . . . . . . . . .308 Winchester
            . . . Velocity/Energy . . . . . Velocity/Energy . . . . . Velocity/Energy

0 ---- 2460/1653 . . . . . . . . . . . 2550/1588 . . . . . . . . . . 2575/2208
            100 - 2297/1441 . . . . . . . . . . . 2322/1317 . . . . . . . . . . . 2306/1771
            200 - 2140/1250 . . . . . . . . . . . 2106/1083 . . . . . . . . . . 2054/1405
            300 - 1989/1081 . . . . . . . . . . . 1902/884 . . . . . . . . . . . 1819/1102
            400 - 1845/930 . . . . . . . . . . . . 1711/715 . . . . . . . . . . . . 1603/856
            500 - 1709/797 . . . . . . . . . . . . 1537/577 . . . . . . . . . . . . 1411/664
            600 - 1580/682 (D, 32.3") . . 1380/465 (D, 45.9") . . 1249/520 (D, 56.2")

"NOTE: While the 6.5mm Grendel shares the same basic case, as the 7.62x39mm round, the Grendel's case taper is less, and doesn't require the "banana-shaped" magazine.

"On behalf of MDR Enthusiasts, who want an all-purpose cartridge, with half the recoil energy of the .308 Winchester round, your consideration is appreciated. Thank you.

"Sincerely,"

"I appreciate the fact that they are open to user feedback and they take constructive criticism seriously." ---

(http://www.gunsandtactics.com/desert-tech-mdr-getaway)

In my opinion, the Desert Tech Micro Dynamic Rifle (MDR) chambered for the 6.5mm Grendel is the combo to beat --- I hope Nick Young is listening.

Videos of MDR Prototypes:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_T7wb4iaQ)

Comment

• explorecaves
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

2-5 years out for 6.5 grendel offering..... just my guess.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                Warrior
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                2-5 years out for 6.5 grendel offering..... just my guess.
                Perhaps, there's a quicker route: Pick up one chambered for the 7.62x39mm and rebarrel to 6.5mm Grendel ---

Comment

• explorecaves
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Perhaps, there's a quicker route: Pick up one chambered for the 7.62x39mm and rebarrel to 6.5mm Grendel ---

DTA has only committed to 308 win and 5.56 for chamberings this year. Given their timetable history, I would guess 300blk middle of next year with possibly the 7.62x39 shortly thereafter (maybe spring 2 years from now). You might then be able to rebarrel.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
                    I'm excited to see the Grendel offered in the MDR. It looks like this could be the answer to the need for an AR12 for the Grendel. That is if they utilize the .308 components for the Grendel.
                    The Desert Tech Micro Dynamic Rifle (MDR) is, indeed, a short-action platform ---

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2013

Under the heading, The Desert Tech Micro Dynamic Rifle meets the PCP polymer-cased 6.5 SOCOM cartridge, I last week sent the following e-mail to Nick Young and Tony Padgett:

Link to referred-to Post: (http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?to...5737#msg135737)

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2013

New video on the Desert Tech Micro Dynamic Rifle (MDR) 5.56 - 7.62 Caliber Conversion
                        (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtKKHcI5Txc)

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

You could make a fatter Grendel mag with that mag well.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2013

New video on the Desert Tech Micro Dynamic Rifle (MDR) 5.56 - 7.62 Caliber Conversion
                            (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtKKHcI5Txc)
                            I today sent the following e-mail request to Eric Smith, ES - Tactical ---

(http://rifleshootermag.com/uncategor...ndel-evolution)

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

This with a small can on it would be pretty crazy in 6.5 Grendel:

The biggest engineering challenge for them would be to set up the ejection management system they have if 7.62 NATO covers didn't work with Grendel.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X