Liberty Barrel Group Buy Build Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XcountryRider

Looks like feedback then should go to Frank at Maxim.

Comment

• Walter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2013

Mine when together well. Is this just a case of the first time someone put together a bolt. Before we get to far someone should take measurements.

Comment

• kg4kpg
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2013

I thought I responded in this thread as well, but my bolt fit fine and the BCG cycles without any issues. As for how it is when firing, I won't be able to report on that until the 20th.
        If you are an Iraq or Afghanistan veteran please visit this site, you've earned it.
        http://www.outwardbound.org/course-f...ran-adventures

Comment

• FlatsFlite
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
          Has anybody had any difficulties inserting their bolt into their bolt carrier? I could not insert by bolt until I noticed that the extractor tail measured .015 inches above the rest of the bolt surface. I lifted the claw up to lower the tail and it slid in.
          Same here, but I thought it was the gas rings. Mine measured .002 larger than my 5.56 nd 6.8 bolts. Stil not close to firing mine ... awaiting parts.

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

I put my Maxum bolt together and it works fine. Tight fit is good and it will loosen as it wears together. The tightness on mine is the rings which you want tight. Once you get the bolt into the carrier the extractor may rub but not sure if that is how they all are or not.
            Last edited by Tedward; 01-12-2014, 12:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Sputnik
              Warrior
              • May 2013

Originally posted by Walter View Post
              Is this just a case of the first time someone put together a bolt.
              Ouch! Please nobody tell my CO, that in my 25 years in the Corps, I can't put together a bolt

No worries! I think the common observation is very tight gas rings, which I acknowledged and others have verified. My observation was that my extractor does not look like all others I have seen; as the image clearly shows the spring end of the extractor is not flush with the rest of the bolt. Anything to worry about? Uncertain. Should everyone be aware? definitely!

Comment

• Tedward
                Banned
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
                Ouch! Please nobody tell my CO, that in my 25 years in the Corps, I can't put together a bolt

No worries! I think the common observation is very tight gas rings, which I acknowledged and others have verified. My observation was that my extractor does not look like all others I have seen; as the image clearly shows the spring end of the extractor is not flush with the rest of the bolt. Anything to worry about? Uncertain. Should everyone be aware? definitely!
                I think I figured out why your seeing it the way you do. How many Grendel bolts have you looked real close at? I'm being sarcastic because I just realized that what your seeing is correct and the head space being .010 deeper lets the extractor close further toward the center of the bolt letting the extractor heal stick out. I never looked so close but I think that is what your noticing. So your not crazy, its a GRENDEL thing....

I just compared an AR-Stoner (used one in my Grendel), a new Maxium and new LBC Bolt. All the measuremnts work out so that is what I'm seeing.

I also measured the OAL of the Grendel bolts and a 223, the Grendels are 2.810 and the 223/556 are 2.800. As it was brought up in the past, they added .010 to the OAL of the Grendel Bolts for the firing pin protrusion.

Comment

• customcutter

I assembled mine and no problems that I was aware of. However, I will say this is my first build and first time I've assembled a bolt. So with that said I wouldn't know if there was a problem unless it jumped up and bit me. Still waiting on mags and a scope and thread protector/muzzle device. I did look to see how much firing pin extended past the bolt face and noticed it was very little, so not worried about punturing primers.

Comment

• Sputnik
                    Warrior
                    • May 2013

Understood, and I agree with you. It was just strange to see both of my other Grendel bolts "heel" be flush with the bolt surface. And this one stick out .015. It obviously rubs the inside of the carrier as the heel tip's finish is now shiny. Just an observation that I wanted to throw out there. Thanks!

Comment

• Tedward
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                      I assembled mine and no problems that I was aware of. However, I will say this is my first build and first time I've assembled a bolt. So with that said I wouldn't know if there was a problem unless it jumped up and bit me. Still waiting on mags and a scope and thread protector/muzzle device. I did look to see how much firing pin extended past the bolt face and noticed it was very little, so not worried about puncturing primers.
                      I had a few other manufacture of bolts earlier this year from Tactical Ammunition and R-Guns. Those 2 I don't have now but did notice the firing pin issue of it protruding further. I did measure the bolt face (.135) but didn't think to measure the Bolt OAL. One of the 2 of them had less firing pin protrusion so must have been shorter (modified 223/556 bolt). I never knew there was a difference in length till Maxum told me they compensate (made the bolt tail longer) for the deeper head space to keep the firing pin in the correct place.

As for the extractor, I have Extractors from Maxum, not the ones from Satern. I am sure Satern got those bolts with the groves on them from Maxum but got extractors from there other bolt source. So when people get theirs, I would like to know if they notice what Sputnik was talking about.

I don't think it will matter but as Spuntnik has noted, it does make contact to indicate wear.
                      Last edited by Tedward; 01-12-2014, 01:02 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• dmsims21
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2012

Does the claw end of the extractor lay below flush?
                        It sounds to me like the extractor is pivoting in too far. It may prevent the rim from making its way into the bolt recess.
                        Since different extractors act the same in each bolt, the cutout in the bolt is probably too deep. The pin location is probably OK, or the bolt wouldn't fit in the carrier at all.
                        You may try building up the cutout in the bolt with Devon or JB Weld, or you could add some to the extractor. You could put on extra and sand it down till the extractor laid flush.
                        www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Underground Tactical
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                          I had a few other manufacture of bolts earlier this year from Tactical Ammunition and R-Guns. Those 2 I don't have now but did notice the firing pin issue of it protruding further. I did measure the bolt face (.135) but didn't think to measure the Bolt OAL. One of the 2 of them had less firing pin protrusion so must have been shorter (modified 223/556 bolt). I never knew there was a difference in length till Maxum told me they compensate (made the bolt tail longer) for the deeper head space to keep the firing pin in the correct place.

As for the extractor, I have Extractors from Maxum, not the ones from Satern. I am sure Satern got those bolts with the groves on them from Maxum but got extractors from there other bolt source. So when people get theirs, I would like to know if they notice what Sputnik was talking about.

I don't think it will matter but as Spuntnik has noted, it does make contact to indicate wear.
                          We didn't supply them the extractors for their Maxim bolts.
                          Underground Tactical Arms
                          Austin, Texas
                          www.undergroundtactical.com
                          www.facebook.com/undergroundarms

Comment

• Sputnik
                            Warrior
                            • May 2013

Whoa! we are getting way ahead of ourselves with speculations and finger pointing. I merely wanted to alert Liberty Builders I had some difficulty with inserting my bolt into the carrier, with tight rings and a peculiar looking protrusion. and the spring end of the extractor. Personally, I don't think it is the extractor. The extractor fits nicely in my AA bolt. Without detailed competent measurements and inspection, which I am not capable of doing, we need to be careful. We won't be able to "unring" alarm bells to some readers. I would be happy to mail this bolt to anyone that feels curious enough; capable enough to examine it. As long as I get it back. Mark comes to mind, since he has an interest in Maxim bolts, but he is somewhat out of the picture lately.
                            Last edited by Sputnik; 01-12-2014, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Just heard from a reliable source it was Millennium Manufacturing that built the extractors for the bolts that Satern supplied.

Comment

• Sputnik
                                Warrior
                                • May 2013

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
                                Does the claw end of the extractor lay below flush?
                                It sounds to me like the extractor is pivoting in too far. It may prevent the rim from making its way into the bolt recess.
                                Since different extractors act the same in each bolt, the cutout in the bolt is probably too deep. The pin location is probably OK, or the bolt wouldn't fit in the carrier at all.
                                You may try building up the cutout in the bolt with Devon or JB Weld, or you could add some to the extractor. You could put on extra and sand it down till the extractor laid flush.
                                Interesting observation. A new photo in my profile shows what you describe. I don't know how to post photos here. Another member posted the first one for me. The bolts are side by side and the claw on the Liberty bolt (left) goes down further into the bolt face. The AA bolt (right) follows the circumference of the outer rim. I will also add that the ability to lift the claw with the Liberty bolt is easier and allows much more travel. The AA claw is stiffer to move and travels less. It also appears the extractor bedding groove/channel goes down deeper on the Liberty bolt. Which one is good? I don't know, both?
                                Last edited by Sputnik; 01-13-2014, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X