• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sputnik
    Warrior
    • May 2013

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
    Just heard from a reliable source it was Millennium Manufacturing that built the extractors for the bolts that Satern supplied.
    I honestly think it is a bolt issue. Whether it is a big deal? Not sure, just saying it is different.

Comment

• XcountryRider

melinium mfg., also known as Lehigh Defense.

Comment

Extractors and bolts are usually made by different types of machine shops, since they are different core competencies with regard to materials sourcing, machining, and heat-treating.

The best scenario is when you have one final company doing TQM on components before they go into a rifle or upper, and this starts with that single company soliciting the various machine/heat treatment/finishing shops with a specific set of technical drawings and data packages that follow a well-engineered scheme.

It is very rare that these individualized machine shops ever want their names known outside of the manufacturing chains, and once a regular manufacturer secures long-term work with them, that manufacturer doesn't want anyone knowing who their sources are because of competition.

Extractors are usually MIM'd, but not all of them. As to an extractor dragging inside the hard chromed carrier, the chrome will usually win.

You should feel resistance from the gas rings once they transition from the largest ID of the bolt channel in the carrier, to the mid-section ID where the gas rings are compressed into the tighter ID in order to provide a gas seal, combined with the bolt tail in the smallest ID:

Comment

• XcountryRider

I'm not seeing any issues with the two i have maybe theirs something i don't understand about the issue?

Comment

• Sputnik
            Warrior
            • May 2013

[QUOTE=LRRPF52;82862]As to an extractor dragging inside the hard chromed carrier, the chrome will usually win.

You should feel resistance from the gas rings once they transition from the largest ID of the bolt channel in the carrier, to the mid-section ID where the gas rings are compressed into the tighter ID in order to provide a gas seal, combined with the bolt tail in the smallest ID:

Thanks LRRPF52, I concur! Especially during much of the bolts cycle forward and back, it has a live round, or a spent casing engaging the claw which also should reduce the other end of the extractors drag, or eliminate it.

Comment

• waveslayer
              Warrior
              • Jan 2013

Mine had a tight fit as well. Has anyone measured their overall length for their reloads with these new barrels? I did mine last night and it was quite a bit of difference between my 24" AA. Some difference is to be expected but it was well over .1 of an inch difference.

Comment

• Sputnik
                Warrior
                • May 2013

Bolt faces of Liberty bolt on left and AA bolt on right. The groove holding the extractors look different depths. Notice how the extractor on the AA bolt follows the contour of the rest of the extractor's circumference:

Comment

• Sputnik
                  Warrior
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post
                  Mine had a tight fit as well. Has anyone measured their overall length for their reloads with these new barrels? I did mine last night and it was quite a bit of difference between my 24" AA. Some difference is to be expected but it was well over .1 of an inch difference.
                  Explain please; are you talking chamber length or bolt length?

Comment

• Underground Tactical
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
                    Bolt faces of Liberty bolt on left and AA bolt on right. The groove holding the extractors look different depths. Notice how the extractor on the AA bolt follows the contour of the rest of the extractor's circumference:
                    Here is what ours looks like. I took one out of our packaging to show quickly before I fly out in the early AM to SHOT. But I think you will be fine with the Liberty bolt that you have pictured (and that one is NOT ours). When the brass is in the bolt face your extractor will be sitting perfect.

Underground Tactical Arms
                    Austin, Texas
                    www.undergroundtactical.com
                    www.facebook.com/undergroundarms

Comment

• Sputnik
                      Warrior
                      • May 2013

Thanks UTA. You confirmed my hopes. Maybe with the deeper grasp, they will hold on tighter. Good fortune at SHOT! Have you decided on a price on your bolts?
                      Last edited by Sputnik; 01-13-2014, 02:11 AM.

Comment

I put my barrel and receiver together and dropped the bolt on an empty case.

Pulled the CH and the case ejected easy by hand.

I did the deburr,polish and bevel stuff to the bolt.

Don't think mine will have a problem.

Comment

• Tedward
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Underground Tactical View Post
                          We didn't supply them the extractors for their Maxim bolts.
                          I was not refering to you guys UTA, I have no idea who supplied the bolts to Satern before you guys came along. It was just an observation, I have no clue where the extractors came from but all I can tell is that the bolt is Maxums by the rings.

XCR pointed out a source but again, XCR got info to pass along so no alarms going off here or finger pointing........
                          Last edited by Tedward; 01-13-2014, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• XcountryRider

My son pull a few boxes through his new 18in barrel at the range last weekend and had zero issues. In fact lots of smiles. Its Sooo much better for him than the old 24in he had on the rifle.

Comment

• Tedward
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2013

Your son was lugging the 24" around? Man I have one and its from the safe to the back yard. I wouldn't want to lug it to far. Yes, the 18" are super light in comparison.

Its fun to wantch people handle it and they have lots of skepticism when I tell them the range of the Grendel. People read up on it and are very interested after a week or two of reading. Then its all up to them to get one and enjoy....

Comment

XCR only thing better than an big bag of brass is a full box of loaded cartridges...thanks again for working out a deal for us! My rifle is together except for the flash hider which i plan to install tonight and an optic. My bolt and carrier cycle fine by hand....can't wait to shoot it! I hear there may be a good deal on vortex vipers this summer so I may use an old cheap optic on it till then.

Comment

Working...
                                X