Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricsmall and Sneaky one joint testing on 105 GMX

hey guys

Ive been pretty scarce lately because of holiday travel and work but finally found the time to squeeze in a hunt or two.

Got a shot with the 105 GMX that sneaky one made up for several of us, and I am impressed with the terminal performance and accuracy so far. The shot was 230 yards, broadside, at the neck/shoulder juncture, so I didnt get any organ damage other than the spine and the carotid artery. DRT, no tracking involved here. IMO, the best shot one can take other including a neck shot, which can sometimes go wrong with a little error in shot. I wish I couldve gotten a raking shot through vitals to show more damage but I took the shot I could at the last possible second of available light.

Hopefully I'll have at least one more kill shot with the GMX before the season is out to show you all. Enjoy.

First pic is internal, second is entrance, third is exit. Good blood at site of kill, chest cavity was full of blood, and I feel there would have been a significant blood trail if needed, but I dont like tracking, so.....

Richard
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM.

Congrats! Looks like that load worked just fine.
    Good luck on another one this season!

Comment

Very nice, I'm in agreement with the DRT shots, I hate it when they run away. Congrates.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Looks like sneaky's 105 GMX is performing very well, especially for a 230 yard shot . Hope you get another shot for more testing.

I have been told some of the best trackers are the worst shots, LOL .

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Nicely done RS. Rock star status- a plus plus! I never get to shoot that far!
          Montana- I agree w/ you on the shot placements. The idea here is to get some interest in a better hunt pill, besides the 100 Barney unit.. in the mono pills.

I have shot- researched this Gmx pill since 2009.

No, I am not employed by Hornady- wish I was- yet I grew tired of a many family, & hunt teams otherwise, complaining of lead in the venison they carve up.
          Yes- I am a Meat eater.

I have blasted thru a many media to see what works best. I have done the side tweaks on all these. I have all the ideas here ready to send.

INTEREST , is key to getting a major manuf. to adopt a few new bullets , into their realm of sales -is it worth it for them = Big business. We'll find out-hopefully on Tuesday-Wednesday from the Shotshow.

ALWAYS THINK OF THE FUTURE+ the use of lead based pills will fade away soon enuff.

I started on my lead free path -5 yrs. ago, to stay ahead= current.

If there is interest in a certain wt. of Gmx- let me know.
          Last edited by sneaky one; 01-14-2014, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

When's Hornady going to offer the 105 GMX?...
            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Maybe after I convince them-? Re- read ====

Comment

I spoke with Hornady, and one of their main guys who deals with the Grendel, and they are looking at a monolith for the Grendel already. They need to adjust the alloy to get the expansion threshold where they want it.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

Any details on expected weight - what can you pass on from the conversation?
                  http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                  Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I will chat with Hornady, to give them all my results from all my tests from the past years-the secret is in the...

Comment

Sneaky what did you do to create the 105 Gmx? It's a modified factory billet?

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Bullet. You are correct.

A Clausing vertical end mill, Morris 2 taper draw bar-model 8520 was used. My prototype machinist pal tweaked a certain collet to hold the bullet-so that there is zero runout. Blade thinks it's the first one made.

The machine is way old, yet in perfect shape. I'll take a pic next time I'm at Blades house. Not of the collet tho,,,

I like this collet so much, I may apply for a patent on it. I'm going to help with Hornady to get a decent GMX, or 3, for us all., as I only want to tweak a few pills per year.

It gets old , in the garage-on the end mill nite, after nite.... I have done the GMX research I needed to, now it's time to pass it along.
                        Last edited by sneaky one; 01-18-2014, 08:16 PM. Reason: found the data sheet

Comment

• rasp65
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

S1 I have a drill press and a mill bastard file will one of your collets work for me.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

No.

Comment

• rasp65
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

S1 If neither of you guys are in Colorado how can you do joint testing legally?

Comment

Working...
                              X