Ricsmall and Sneaky one joint testing on 105 GMX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Overwatcher

Big shout out to sneaky and the joint effort on these bulkets,can't wait to try some "top secret" bullets on some pelt.
    I will keep you posted buddy,and give you some reports.

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
      Bullet. You are correct.

A Clausing vertical end mill, Morris 2 taper draw bar-model 8520 was used. My prototype machinist pal tweaked a certain collet to hold the bullet-so that there is zero runout. Blade thinks it's the first one made.

The machine is way old, yet in perfect shape. I'll take a pic next time I'm at Blades house. Not of the collet tho,,,

I like this collet so much, I may apply for a patent on it. I'm going to help with Hornady to get a decent GMX, or 3, for us all., as I only want to tweak a few pills per year.

It gets old , in the garage-on the end mill nite, after nite.... I have done the GMX research I needed to, now it's time to pass it along.
      Sneaky -

Thanks for putting in all those nite after nite because afterall without you doing that this thread wouldn't exist.

I look forward to testing them out as well come Spring.

BB

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
        Warrior
        • May 2011

Ive shot several of sneakys bullets on game and in H2O testing...should be able to find the data/pics....ive killed deer and coyotes with them so far as well as some mean paper : ) anxious to try some more of the GMX's

Comment

Whats the difference in 105 grn GMX and a 100 grn Barnes TTSX other than the obvious slight weight difference?

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Last edited by sneaky one; 01-26-2014, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for educating me on what your doing. I would love to see a factory load with a green bullet in the lighter weights, the Barnes are devastating on deer. I know Hornady will never load a Barnes bullet though. Thanks for all your work!

Comment

100 gr TTSX 1.15" by my mic.

I'm of the opinion that the softer the better in monos however Sneakys photos show that bullet hardness isn't the end-all-be-all. The GMX must have a larger nose cavity cause they show beautiful expansion at modest speeds. And he shot them through soft stuff like water and animals not dry paper or wood.

The Gilding helps prevent barrel fouling that pure copper can cause especially in rough bores, like Savages .

Beautiful bullets Sneaky, love those long VLD BTs.

Personally I'd prefer the lighter weights both to hit an untapped market and for more velocity/less recoil but it's your baby.

Good luck w the Hornady rep, hope to see them on the market.

Comment

• dmsims21
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2012

We do need a mono bullet for the grendel speeds.
                  Something that will still expand at 1800fps. I don't think a 100gr TTSX will be going fast enough at 300yds out of my 18" barrel. The field I hunt is that far to the corner.
                  www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
                    We do need a mono bullet for the grendel speeds.
                    Something that will still expand at 1800fps. I don't think a 100gr TTSX will be going fast enough at 300yds out of my 18" barrel. The field I hunt is that far to the corner.
                    It is, and it does.

Comment

If you look at the Terminal Ballistics chapter in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Handbook, the 100gr Barnes TTSX showed a minimum expansion threshold somewhere between 1847fps and 2021fps. At 2021fps, it still opened up to .410", and penetrated 29" into the Perma-Gel. At 1847fps, there was no expansion. (page 49)

For the hunter who is restricted to solids, or prefers them for penetration and expansion, I do think that the market will respond well to a bullet closer to 100gr specifically engineered for the Grendel. Sneaky one has done a ton of legwork in this regard as many of you know, and he is quite talented at modifying these pills to work really well in the Grendel.

Looking at the Barnes 100gr TTSX for comparison as a currently available bullet, then looking at velocities from Western Powders and forum members using 20-24" barrels, I see speeds from 2600-2765fps. With an expansion threshold at 2000fps, we're basically limited to 300yds, which is plenty for most situations, but as dmsims21 points out, even in the South, there are plenty of open farm fields that present the hunter with an opportunity to make shots that might involve a very savvy buck or doe that like to poke their heads out of the woodline, sneak into the field for a bite, then head back into the woods.

A lot of farmers place feeders for convenience, which is often near the treeline, leaving a lot of space between the hunting position.

With the optimum metallurgy on a new solid, and a higher BC, a 105gr GMX could extend the expansion range out to 475yds or more.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        With the optimum metallurgy on a new solid, and a higher BC, a 105gr GMX could extend the expansion range out to 475yds or more.
                        Got my attention.

Begs the question tho. Whats the expansion threshold of the GMX?

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Thanks for poppin in, B foot!- Yeah, You ,Jasmith , RS., and I are on the same mindset for short range work. Thanks. We have not found the lower wt. yet, at the safe minimum to take Med. class of game=thru the Grendel., RS is on a mission to try the 70 grn. Gmx class that I sent down southward., on a deer or 2. Hopefully something will a happen. Size of game=smaller in size in the south, huge in the north, Even larger in Northern Canada.

Jas thinks that the 85 grn. monolithic class of pills is fine for most med game in USA. I tend to agree, yet what are the shooting conditions? etc. Short range is where most of us shoot, at game. It will,be fun, as to a reply= if I get one from Hornady=?

Let's keep this nice, nice for hunting reasons.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Thanks for poppin in L-52-nicely stated. I will chat w/ Horn this wk.
                            The pill as it is , now- is designed for the larger bolties. - it needs the tweaks- to soften it up a bit- coolness will follow!
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 01-26-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah I figured that Northern Whitetails being half again (or better) the size of coastal Blacktail might partially explain the 105. Heck you can gut and cut the hooves off a Blackie, wrap your orange vest around him and carry it out of that thick, nasty rainforrest on your shoulders. Those lighter weights you just mentioned sound like just the ticket.

Thing is if I'm looking to hunt big stuff like Elk or Moose I'll use a 120 TTSX or possibly the new LRX.

But, I haven't yet hunted Mulies on the dry side of Oregon. Shots can be extremely long there. According to LRRPF52 your 105 sounds real good for that, done any lower velocity expansion testing on em yet?

Comment

• sneaky one
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

No, its a comin though. The guys are putting things in place.

Yeah, you are using a .260 Rem, not a Grrr.

The TTSX 120 in the Grrr sucks bad. LRX looks great! -Kinda...
                                Last edited by sneaky one; 01-26-2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X