More Evidence that the Grendel is inadequate for hunting :rolleyes:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Evidence that the Grendel is inadequate for hunting :rolleyes:

This is my last week of hunting with 123SST out of a 18" pipe. Everything was DRT!

• waveslayer
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

Nice. Did you recover any of the bullets to show us their expansion? Reloading? Nice shootin'

Comment

All through and through. I suspect the bullet from the spotted boar is actually lodged in another hog that I didn't recover. I do reload. This is a pretty mild 27 grains of 8208 2.24" oal

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

When you say "DRT" you mean BANG, flop, or some kicking and stop within 10 yards or so?

Comment

• customcutter

Yes, you need something bigger. The grendel just isn't getting the job done.;-)

Comment

• hill.brandonj

That mild 27g of XBR is the best load I've ever had. I go higher and it falls apart. Good to see it killing stuff all I've killed with that load is paper so far

Comment

• Overwatcher

Awesome! Nice kills.
              Love the thump sound it makes when the Grendel hits fur!

Comment

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                When you say "DRT" you mean BANG, flop, or some kicking and stop within 10 yards or so?
                I mean BANG! FLOP! It amazed me on the doe (probably 115-120 lbs), I shot her double lung/heart. She tried to turn and run and just clumped up into a pile instead. The black boar in the back of the truck actually ran about 20 yards but there was blood at eye level on the branches of the tree he fell under. Nice big exit wound but I did stretch the truth just a little. I have mostly taken head-shots on pigs because their heads are fairly stationary but I do not get a consistent exit wound that way. I have been trying to line up a double the last few times so I am shooting through both shoulders. It has surprised me that they have still been hitting the ground so hard and I am getting a nice exit wound. (I've not taken any measurements because I typically quarter them in the field.)

The Grendel has been excellent on wild pigs in my experience with only a handful running and only 2 that I can recall not being able to recover. I have built uppers for two of my friends and they have had similar results.

Comment

cool pics! looks like that load gets the job done

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
                    I mean BANG! FLOP! It amazed me on the doe (probably 115-120 lbs), I shot her double lung/heart. She tried to turn and run and just clumped up into a pile instead. The black boar in the back of the truck actually ran about 20 yards but there was blood at eye level on the branches of the tree he fell under. Nice big exit wound but I did stretch the truth just a little. I have mostly taken head-shots on pigs because their heads are fairly stationary but I do not get a consistent exit wound that way. I have been trying to line up a double the last few times so I am shooting through both shoulders. It has surprised me that they have still been hitting the ground so hard and I am getting a nice exit wound. (I've not taken any measurements because I typically quarter them in the field.)

The Grendel has been excellent on wild pigs in my experience with only a handful running and only 2 that I can recall not being able to recover. I have built uppers for two of my friends and they have had similar results.
                    Well done sir. That is a more humane death/ratio than most get. Pigs are definitely tough!

Comment

• Blacklab
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2012

Sweet!!! Those foxes are truly foxy,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol great pics
                      Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

Yeah, I was wondering about those foxes, too. Classy-looking animals! We've only got your standard red foxes here in Minnesota.

John
                        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

That's just your run-of-the-mill gray fox around here. They have really nice coats this year because of the colder winter we've been having. I've killed quite a few foxes (they reek havoc on the landowner's garden and also the turkey population) and these two were the prettiest I've seen. I think foxes are super cool, gray foxes, however, are pretty dumb.

Also, I find that, for the most part, hogs are just like any other animal. Mature boars have a shield protecting the front of their chest but an ear shot or a well placed shot through the shoulders is going to kill them quickly. I try to kill anything as humanely as possible.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

PigOps, nice work this season-last week was a bounty. As Hanka stated we only have the red fox here, in the southern tier., Yet up north where I hunt- I've seen every color of fox under the sun!
                            White-gray-brown-red- mixed colors , etc.

I had one run thru My yard in June, almost looked like a chupacabre. We determined -it had mange-poor bugger.

Keep up the good shootings, of oinkers. Man, I need to head down south someday..

Comment

Working...
                            X