Looking for a source on 9/16x24 "Levang" "Linear" "Forward Blast" muzzle brake - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a source on 9/16x24 "Levang" "Linear" "Forward Blast" muzzle brake - HELP

NOTE: I believe you MUST start out with a 1/2 x 28 TPI brake so that when you grind those threads away you are close to the diameter for tapping and threading at 9/16 x 24 TPI - I will verify this is the case when I have the brake altered. ALSO you must verify that the bore of the muzzle brake is opened up to allow for the 6.5mm projectile to pass through as most 1/2 muzzle brakes are made for 5.56 applications.

I run a Kies Master Blaster on all my semi(s).

It looks very similar to a DPMS Levang Linear Comp

and the Troy Claymore.

The objective is to direct ALL muzzle blast forward of the shooter AND hunters on the flank of shooter.

I have read in the past that Mountain Man Machine Inc. aka ARCHON was rethreading and reboring DPMS Levangs to fit on the 6.5 Grendel's barrel BUT their phone number isn't working and I can't seem to locate contact information.

I don't so much trust local machine shops -

Looking to lend on this forum's members if you are running a custom muzzle device meeting the above description - where did you get it and how much???

Thanks,

BB
    Last edited by Guest; 01-15-2014, 02:00 AM.
  • kbarnes12
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but if anyone knows of a machine shop that will rethread and rebore a .22 cal compensator to 9/16x24 please post that contact information. I got a good deal on a Kaw Valley Precision Comp thinking I would have a local machine shop convert it, but he did not have the right equipment.
    sigpic
    Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.

Comment

Originally posted by kbarnes12 View Post
      I don't mean to highjack this thread, but if anyone knows of a machine shop that will rethread and rebore a .22 cal compensator to 9/16x24 please post that contact information. I got a good deal on a Kaw Valley Precision Comp thinking I would have a local machine shop convert it, but he did not have the right equipment.
      Kbarnes - Not a hijack at all !

I too am choosing the KVP Linear Comp as the test candidate for rethreading to 9/16 x 24 .

I am hoping that when I send the muzzle brake off to someone that it doesn't ruin or damage their machinery, I read that the hardness of the steel on the KVP is approximately 60 Rockwell which is pretty tough....

You'd think they are building these muzzle brakes to withstand a bomb blast

Anyhow I chose the KVP based on it's low price (in case this doesn't work out) its smaller outside diameter (vs the DPMS Levang) and the wrench flats to do a firm install.

I plan to use a 5/8 x 24 crush washer on the install.

Thanks,

BB
      Last edited by Guest; 01-15-2014, 01:57 AM.

Comment

I too am very interested in some kind of brake that directs noise/blast forward so will be following this thread closely.

Comment

Originally posted by jfornelli View Post
          I too am very interested in some kind of brake that directs noise/blast forward so will be following this thread closely.
          Jfornelli - I added some photos to the post - I will keep you updated.

BB

Comment

Nice. I think I found all those same pics online.

I'm not concerned about the recoil, just want to reduce noise and blast in my direction and those around me.

On a related note, I read somewhere this evening that the noise won't be reduced much at all on a 16" barrel. I wonder a) if that's true and b) if that's because it's just closer to your ears...

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

What is your barrel threading? 9/16" or 5/8"? There are plenty of 5/8"x24 linear comps available. It's those with 9/16" x 24 that are having trouble.

On a related note, I read somewhere this evening that the noise won't be reduced much at all on a 16" barrel. I wonder a) if that's true and b) if that's because it's just closer to your ears...
              I have a linear comp on my 16" 5.56 and have used one on my 22" .264 LBC. They are definitely friendlier to the neighbor than either a brake or standard flash hider. Noise is noticeably less behind the scope, as well.
              Last edited by NugginFutz; 01-15-2014, 04:03 AM.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

I've got a 9/16"-24 threaded barrel.

Thanks for that info, NF. I can't wait to finish my build and get out to shoot it.
                Only need a comp (or thread protector), gas tube, carrier group, and the much despised bullet button for CA legal issues.

Comment

I mailed off my KAW VALLEY 1/2 x28 muzzle device to an individual who makes his own muzzle brakes, he was interested in what I floated to him "Grendelizing a brake".

So when I get it back I will inspect the work, talk to him about how involved the process was and if he is open to it pass his name along for others.

To be continued....

Comment

I got my re-threaded brake back today, it looks fantastic.

Fit is perfect, I did notice a few very minor burrs on the front bore opening so I FLITZ polished lightly to make smooth, you don't really want to remove any surface area after the hole has been opened up but I wanted it smooth.

How I found the guy that did the work is via my extensive muzzle brake search for linear style compensators, well while I never located someone selling them ready to go for the 9/16-24 Grendel I did keep seeing a particular gentleman's name popping up.

I am NOT affiliated with him, it was not my intent of starting this thread to market him, I am sharing the below information because he said he didn't mind if people contacted him for the same service. He doesn't have a stated fee, he just charges based on your request and his current workload.

Ross Schuler
                    261 Victor Gust Drive
                    Mountain Home, ID 83647
                    Phone (208)587-8993

Email: rem40xb1@msn.com

And here is the brake !

I will post photos of the brake on the gun in the Photos forum section.

Goodluck all -

BB

Comment

• kbarnes12
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2011

I mailed my KVP Linear Comp to Mr. Schuler last Tuesday afternoon. I received and email from him on Thursday that he had received the comp, made the modifications to it I requested, and mailed it back to me. Today, Monday, I received the comp back; 7 days from Kansas to Idaho and back, kudos to the USPS. Mr. Schuler did excellent work at a most reasonable price and had unbeatable turnaround time.
                      sigpic

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by kbarnes12 View Post
                        I mailed my KVP Linear Comp to Mr. Schuler last Tuesday afternoon. I received and email from him on Thursday that he had received the comp, made the modifications to it I requested, and mailed it back to me. Today, Monday, I received the comp back; 7 days from Kansas to Idaho and back, kudos to the USPS. Mr. Schuler did excellent work at a most reasonable price and had unbeatable turnaround time.
                        I forgot to add that you must post photos once the brake is installed

Here is mine:

Comment

I use a Schuler brake on my rifle, and love the recoil reduction but its damn loud.... fired next to my buddies 300 win mag, he complained about my GRENDEL. I agreed, fired 1 shot without ear pro and it hurt so bad that I had to stop shooting for a minute. So I love his brake but wouldn't recommend it unless you know what your getting into.

Comment

• kbarnes12
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
                            I use a Schuler brake on my rifle, and love the recoil reduction but its damn loud.... fired next to my buddies 300 win mag, he complained about my GRENDEL. I agreed, fired 1 shot without ear pro and it hurt so bad that I had to stop shooting for a minute. So I love his brake but wouldn't recommend it unless you know what your getting into.
                            The comps Bennybone aka HuntTxhogs and I sent to Mr. Schuler were not made by him. They are made by Kaw Valley Percision, but KVP does not make one in the 9/16x24 threading that AA uses on their barrels, so he and I sent the comps to Mr. Schuler to rethread and open the bore to work with the AA 6.5. Hopefully noise will not be as much of an issue, as the Schuler brakes. The following is from the KVP website:
                            A linear compensator is a muzzle device designed to collect and direct all the muzzle gases forward, away from the shooter. Unlike other types of muzzle devices, KVP linear comps actually lower the decibel the shooter experiences while shooting the rifle.
                            Here is a photo of the KVP Linear Comp.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Tedward
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
                              I was looking to get one because people said it blows all the noise away from the shooter. After reading your post that doesn't sound true.
                              I guess everything will be noisy...

Comment

Working...
                              X