Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maverick5582

Dry Firing

Now that I have my new Geissele Match trigger I would like to know if it is necessary to use a "snap cap" or anything when "dry firing" the AR-15?

You can dry fire it with the upper on, but don't if your testing the trigger with just the lower. Stop the hammer with your finger or a rag. The hammer will run into the lower without the upper attached and can damage the lower.

Comment

• maverick5582

Originally posted by Allen View Post
      You can dry fire it with the upper on, but don't if your testing the trigger with just the lower. Stop the hammer with your finger or a rag. The hammer will run into the lower without the upper attached and can damage the lower.
      I found that out today that the rag is better choice. The hammer spring is strong. Ouch!

Comment

• GMinor
        Warrior
        • Sep 2013

Yes. Dry firing is a good thing. Employ it often.

Comment

Dry fre device

There is a dry firing device for the AR platform. It is plastic (probably delran) that inserts inside the bolt carrier to block the firing pin from being struck. It also prevents the hammer from going very far so all you have to do to recock is barely move the bolt back. Makes dry firing very painless on you and the rifle. Believe you can get these through Sinclair Intl.

Comment

• GMinor
            Warrior
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by sarge19_8 View Post
            There is a dry firing device for the AR platform. It is plastic (probably delran) that inserts inside the bolt carrier to block the firing pin from being struck. It also prevents the hammer from going very far so all you have to do to recock is barely move the bolt back. Makes dry firing very painless on you and the rifle. Believe you can get these through Sinclair Intl.
            I have this. It is stupid. The AR-15 is capable of being dry fired thousands upon thousands upon thousands of times with no I'll effect.

The ONLY benefit of the dry fire device is a shorter pull to reset the trigger.

If you are worried about "pain" for your center fire rifle during dry fire you are uninformed.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Let me guess - not enough coffee?
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• GMinor
                Warrior
                • Sep 2013

That, and a new diet. I'm doing this Advocare 24 day challenge. Yesterday was crazy, but today is going to be great.

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by maverick5582 View Post
                  I found that out today that the rag is better choice. The hammer spring is strong. Ouch!
                  Too funny, that was worth your pain

These work great if you are testing triggers on a regular basis or buy a kit and it is worth saving the nail on your finger. http://www.plastixrevolution.net/pro...-trigger-block

Comment

• maverick5582

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                    Too funny, that was worth your pain

These work great if you are testing triggers on a regular basis or buy a kit and it is worth saving the nail on your finger. http://www.plastixrevolution.net/pro...-trigger-block
                    Yes. I did not make that mistake again. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                    X