Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

best automatic powder dispemser?

I am looking to buy a powder dispenser but everything i read is that they are not reliable, or that your cell phone or slight vibration will mess them up. Can anybody recommend a really solid one? i dont mind paying more for the best.

Thanks, Gene
  • bigbear_98
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

I like my RCBS chargemaster. I havent noticed that my phone effects it, but I keep my phone across the room so I don't get distracted. It is a little finicky about throwing a tenth of a grain or two over with varget. I haven't tried it with anything else, but my cousin has been using h380 and says it does very well. I have a rangemaster sitting right next to it to check any charges I think are questionable.

Comment

• Kikn
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

I bought a hornady auto dispenser a month ago only used it once. Verified weights on another scale and it worked fine. I had my cell close by me but away from the electronics. I set the speed down yo the slowest speed which was still faster than I could reload at. The slower it goes the more accurate it will be. It throws an error if it over dispenses the charge which only happened once or twice out of 100 rounds loaded.

All in all best money I have spent in a while....besides an auto brass trimmer doing it by hand sucks!!

Comment

• Michael
        Warrior
        • Jan 2012

Chargemaster. Maybe had one out of 100 or so charges .1 over...scale picks it up. Plug it into a good quality surger protector, don't use cell.
        I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
        - Voltaire

Comment

• wheelguner
          Warrior
          • Oct 2011

You asked a question almost as volatile as which is better Ford or Chevrolet!!!!! I have attached two links that you may find useful:

ANY ELECTRONIC MEASURING DEVICE will be effected by electronic interference, drafts and vibrations. I personally use a Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Scale Dispenser:

I use an Ohaus - TAJ Carat Series Scale for other measuring tasks. I chose both because of their features. I minimize errors due to the aforementioned electronic interference, drafts and vibrations by placing both scales on a 18" x 24" x 2" Granite Surface Plate which is placed on 1/4" thick dense foam sheet and plugging both into a Tripp-Lite filtering line conditioner and adding ferrite filters to the power cords. Both are never powered off and I calibrate before each use.
          There is an old parable that states a man with one watch knows what time it is and one with more than one is never sure. I do not compare measurements between the two.

Comment

• MikeGideon

Chargemaster here. It has been flawless.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

I use the charge master, it has worked very well for me.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Chargemaster!

Comment

• GMinor
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2013

The best is a Prometheus...

6mmBR.com is the best guide for 6mm BR Benchrest precision shooting, complete with 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Shooter Message Boards, Reader Polls, and Photo Gallery. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Equipment reviews (.243 bullets, 30BR cartridge, 6mm Norma Improved, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, 1000yd ranges, ballistics, component sales, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Thanks fellas. I think I see a charge master in my future.

Comment

I have been using the Hornady for 3 years and 6000 rounds without a complaint!

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post
                        I am looking to buy a powder dispenser but everything i read is that they are not reliable, or that your cell phone or slight vibration will mess them up. Can anybody recommend a really solid one? i dont mind paying more for the best.

Thanks, Gene
                        Gene:

If you intend on using ball powders, you don't need one. About any powder measure will dispense ball powders as good as any of the common automatic dispensers.

Other than that, I have a Lyman that works as well as the RCBS and probably any other common automatic dispenser on the market. They are good for the larger grained extruded powders but the smaller the grain size you go, the more likely a regular measure will dispense just as accurately.

Expect to spend an extra half hour or more letting the auto dispenser zero and settle down before loading. The Lyman takes a half hour just to zero itself. Once zeroed, all of them will drift but all you do is press a re-zero button and they are fine. Expect to hit that button every four or five loads. They work but if you can avoid using one, you will save a huge amount of time.

To speed things up some, you can use a regular measure for most of the charge and the auto measure to complete the charge.

I have timed myself using a regular measure with a regular electric scale (dumping back any charge that varied more than .1 grains) against the auto scale and found it to be about 30% faster just to use the measure and regular scale. That was with Varget and 8208. Ball powders meter so well you don't need anything but a regular measure.

LR1955

Comment

• GMinor
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2013

Run a clean power source (voltage regulated and EMI/RFI protection) and your zero will not drift nearly as much.

I'll probly be picking up a charge master sometime soon, although the dandy trickler can throw a Grendel charge of CFE in just a few seconds, it is actually kind of amazing.

Comment

• Longshot_34

I picked up a Chargemaster around Christmas time. I am impressed with it's performance. our of the 100 or so rounds I've loaded with it using Varget and IMR4064 I found one charge to be .1 over. It wights more accurate than I can shoot.

Comment

• babue
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

I have had a Chargemaster for years. Always been very accurate. As LR1955 said, for ball powders probably not needed but for stick powders it will be much more accurate but also a lot slower. I do not use mine for ball powders, mostly for Varget loads.
                              Also RCBS's service is great. I had mine for 5 years and last year I started it up, it flashed once and died. I expected the repair would cost more than buying a new one and I was just going to get a new one but decided to call RCBS. The lady that answered said to send it back with a check for $45 and they would take care of it. They sent a brand new one, you could not ask for more than that. So a big A+ for RCBS and the Chargemaster from me.

Comment

Working...
                              X