• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Klem View Post
    With larger calibres I agree it takes longer for the machine to throw. With .338Lap I go round to my mates place with the Chargemaster and he sets his up as well. Then there are two machines going at once to throw the 90grains needed. Speeds things up.
    Friends who Reload together, Explode together... No - wait - that's not it. Mates who Throw Charges together, ... Oh, well. I need to work on it some more.

Either way, I've seen a few custom loading shops (UAMT, Gunwerks, etc) that have a bank of 4-5 Chargemasters running at once, and have felt quite envious. If the Chargemaster is good enough for the likes of them, it's good enough for me.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

'Mates who throw together stay together!'...Hmmm, going a bit too far do you think?

Stingy old Uncle Klem got the cheapest .338Lap going at the time, a Rem Police X for $2K. Being even stingier went halves with his mate. We don't shoot it much. Even with him being a Dealer and getting discounts and me flogging used cases from the military it's still $2.50 every time you pull the trigger. 20 shots later and you're drooling from the cheap=n-nasty muzzle brake Rem uses. And, it's not even very accurate. Needless to say we don't shoot it much.

Comment

• maverick5582

My new Chargemaster arrived today. Nice addition to the bench. I placed it on a headstone that has been leveled both ways and it is at the perfect height for me. It sure makes throwing charges a pleasure now.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Glad to hear it. As I've mentioned before, it really makes load development a breeze, as incremental charge weights only take a couple of button presses.

Don't forget that you can also change the default parameters to speed things up, too.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

I am getting a Hornady on payday, I cant get myself to buy an RCBS because my home setup is mostly Hornady but my field setup is RCBS, I teach people how to load by taking a rockchucker, a portable stand and a few Portable items with me, I use Hornady seaters because I think they do a better job but like RCBS sizers (I know, it doesn't make sense) but I like Lee collet dies and crimpers I got into Lee when I was on my Sabot kick because they were recommended by my dad who had been loading Sabots for 20 years. Just wish I could get a Sabot to shoot a .17 bullet in a 6.5 Sabot.

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

I'm not knocking anyone, just my take. I don't see the need for an automatic powder dispenser since getting a RCBS uniflow powder measurer with a Micrometer a year ago. After getting the first charge correct, I can dial in another charge with a +-.2gr accuracy. If I know what charge I left it at last assuming I'm using the same powder, I can dial my first charge in with the same accuracy.

If I'm loading ~50 rounds of the same charge, I fill them all very quickly checking every 10th throw for accuracy.
              Last edited by cory; 04-17-2014, 01:20 AM.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

If anything I'd sell it to try the Redding Match-Grade Model 3BR Powder Measure. I'm currently working on converting all of my RCBS reloading equipment to Redding. Other than the hand primer, I don't see a reason to replace it. haha I'd likely only replace the Rockchucker with a progressive(preferably Dillon) press for loading in bulk. However, the Forster Co-Ax press is interesting looking.

If the dies are an indication, there's a worlds of difference in quality for a small difference in price. I've had .223 and 45 acp dies. I've since picked up a set of Redding .223 dies and just received a set of Dillon 45 acp dies. I'm much happier with the Redding .223 dies!!!

I do have a Hornady Powder Measurer with a pistol insert and micrometer. I obviously use it for pistol. I have ZERO complaints. I would prefer the micrometer being a little tighter though.
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
                  I am getting a Hornady on payday, I cant get myself to buy an RCBS because my home setup is mostly Hornady but my field setup is RCBS, I teach people how to load by taking a rockchucker, a portable stand and a few Portable items with me, I use Hornady seaters because I think they do a better job but like RCBS sizers (I know, it doesn't make sense) but I like Lee collet dies and crimpers I got into Lee when I was on my Sabot kick because they were recommended by my dad who had been loading Sabots for 20 years. Just wish I could get a Sabot to shoot a .17 bullet in a 6.5 Sabot.
                  I've had both the Hornady and the RCBS Chargemaster. Like you, Joker, my bench is a United Nations of reloading gear, with dies from RCBS, Hornady and Crimpers from Lee. I also have both the RockChucker Single stage and the Hornady LNL Progressive. My bench has no brand loyalty. It is, instead, a place where each piece of gear is given the chance to prove itself and, if successful, stay there.

The Hornady dispenser didn't make the cut for these simple reasons: The first one was a DOA. Strike one. Its replacement (Hornady's CS is great, btw) arrived and functioned properly, but was not throwing consistent charges. Yes, know the RCBS can have similar issues, but this was on the order of 2 out of every 5. Strike two. Lastly, the small diameter of the dispenser tube on the Hornady was giving it trouble with some of the extruded powders (IMR 4064, etc.) I just couldn't make it happy with those chunky little grains. Strike three.

The Chargemaster was a bit more expensive, but has proven itself in the long run. I also like the illuminated scale. (Did I mention the 2nd Hornady's went out? Strike 4, I guess.)

No, I'm not a Hornady Hater. I love my Progressive and have loaded scads of pistol ammo, as well as hundreds and hundreds of .223. I'm just not happy with the quality and function of the dispensers I received (~ 2 years ago).

Now, if you find a way to get that .17 to shoot in a 6.5 Sabot, please let me know. That would be soooo fun!

Comment

• maverick5582

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                    Glad to hear it. As I've mentioned before, it really makes load development a breeze, as incremental charge weights only take a couple of button presses.

Don't forget that you can also change the default parameters to speed things up, too.
                    I did the straw mod and the speed mod today. I threw 25 charges of LVR that were dead on every time. I cannot see anything but a win, win, with the Chargemaster. It has simplified my loading operation immensely. It is accurate enough and fast enough to suit me to a Tee.

Maverick

Comment

• poli
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2014

Chargemaster with the straw and speed mod. Only issue was with H380 where almost every time it was overthrowing, so for this powder I removed the straw and all is good now.

Comment

I have the Lyman DPS 3, it's the only automatic powder dispenser I have ever used. I can't say it's the best, but I have had zero issues with it in the 9 years that I have been using it. As LR1955 has already pointed out, I only use it for extruded powders, I use the scale on the DPS 3 to adjust my hornady powder drop when loading with ball powders. Well worth the money spent!

Comment

Working...
                        X