• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 81police
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

Grendel VS Texas HOGS: Part V

Here's a few pigs we've taken with Grendels recently. This caliber is a GREAT choice for hog hunting for anybody considering.

The first picture are 3 hogs (180lb boar, and 2 shoats) downed with 123gr. SST's. I'm back using 120gr. Barnes TSX's again. I still think the SST's are a great choice for a hunting bullet, but I just prefer the Barnes personally

The boars below were shot with 120gr. Barnes TSX's. The first, a 260lb tan boar, was hit dead center on shoulder broadside at 120 yards, full pass through, and ran approx. 10 yards before falling. He never got up.

The 2nd, a 220lb black boar, was hit high shoulder just very slightly quartering, and dropped in his tracks.

Last edited by 81police; 01-28-2014, 04:15 PM.
    John 11:25-26
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

He's got some nice cutters. Definately not a shortage of big pigs in your area...

Comment

Did you actually weigh these? (Your figures are realistic as compared to many I see on the interwebs.)

Comment

• 81police
        Warrior
        • Feb 2013

we weigh pigs using heart girth measurement

Comment

Pm'd... Thanks!

Comment

Awesome. A buddy of mine just got back from hog hunting in Texas as well, and shot several, including a large sow. When they walked up on her, fat was oozing from a large exit wound in her neck. He also feels the Grendel seems like a purpose-built hog-killer. They were using 123gr A-MAX. The piggies had 4" exits on one of them.

Nice harvest, and great pics. Your carbine looks sweet BTW.

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Very nice. I was just talking to a guy here at work who is interested in the Grendel. He has the 270 and Win Mag but said to much gun. I said you need a Grendel, pulled up your pictures and he is sold.

He was impressed with the placement of your shots, and wondered how far you were when taking the little pigs, the little tan one has a blaster of a hole and his lil brother got a gut shot. So we take it you popped all 3 of the family at once? Went out for a stroll and never came back....nice job once again.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2014, 04:52 PM. Reason: snipped quote

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Have grendel. Will travel!!!
                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• 81police
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2013

Tedward,

The boar and 2 piglets were actually part of a much larger group that were sunbathing on a bank of the Colorado river. I was in a stand on a cliff above them. I don't know the exact range but i'd guess around 100-120 yards when I fired on the boar. When that happened they all ran for cover against the cliff. By the time I made my way down the cliff, 20 or so piglets were back out sunbathing again in the same pot...they actually startled me. I shot the tan one at approx. 15 yards and swung on the brown one as he was running for cover. More of a lucky shot than anything believe me.

Hey, tell your friend I used to hunt with a 270Win (Browning BAR). I'm still a big fan of the 270Win, but after hunting with the Grendel I'll never go back.

Comment

• ejkoechling
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2014

Awesome. My time is coming soon, I hope!
                    BTW, What hand guard is that, and whats the red under it??
                    Last edited by ejkoechling; 01-29-2014, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• 81police
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2013

The whole upper is JP Enterprises. I believe the model of handguard is called "rapid configuration" and the red under it is their thermal dissipator system.

Comment

• Slappy
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2014

Nice bunch of pork!! BANG BANG!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X