• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Looks close to me

IMG_0732.jpgIMG_0736.jpg

I don't know, I think we need a second opinion, looks close to me.

Comment

• peligro113
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2013

It's crazy we both shot those groups sans scopes..lol. You were even able to go a year into the future to shoot your rifle.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by peligro113 View Post
        It's crazy we both shot those groups sans scopes..lol. You were even able to go a year into the future to shoot your rifle.
        I was waiting for the replies about the wrong year. When you get to be my age you get the years mixed up, I'm lucky I remembered my way home from the range.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

sweet, you guys are getting 1/2 MOA groups. Is it consistent?

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

It was the first 5 shot group for me after I did my barrel break in. My group was good and I decided to quit since it was getting dark outside, "thought I would quit while I was ahead." I do have a scope on but I didn't bother to update my picture ,it was hard enough for me to post the picture of the target, "computer stupid". I know these barrels are good shooters and will give better reports from other distances in the future.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

good looking groups

Comment

• peligro113
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by calshipbuilder View Post
                sweet, you guys are getting 1/2 MOA groups. Is it consistent?

I've just started reloading for the 6.5G it looks like I will be able to do it with my CFE load, if and it's a big if, I do my part. The Factory load also seems to shoot really good in my rifle. I'm getting 2440 fps with 30.5g of CFE223 which seems pretty slow to me but this is also my first 6.5G so I might be wrong.

Comment

Nice group Montana . Were those hand loads or factory?

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

[QUOTE=Wynndaddy;85964]Nice group Montana . Were those hand loads or factory?[/QUOTE

I used factory Horn 123 grain A Max.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

Moved the scope back, still getting ~1.5 moa groups. I even put it in my f-t/r setup with a duplin bipod and edgewood rear bag. Although I did manage this .327 group with my .308 :-). I'm cheating bad on my grendel these days
                      Attached Files

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

Moved the scope back, still getting ~1.5 moa groups. I even put it in my f-t/r setup with a duplin bipod and edgewood rear bag. Although I did manage this .327 group with my .308 :-). I'm cheating bad on my grendel these days
                        Have you tried Fact Horn 123 grain A Max loads yet?
                        Last edited by montana; 02-08-2014, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

yes, factory 123 amax, shot a bit over 1 moa

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

yes, factory 123 amax, shot a bit over 1 moa
                            A few more questions, did you break your barrel in as Lilja recommends, is your gas block touching your hand guard at any point, are you sure your upper receiver face is square with your barrel ? It is hard to believe the barrel is the cause since your barrel came from the same lot as Peligroll3 and mine. It is obvious you can shoot good groups but I would re-check your rifle for any other problems. I cerakoted both my barrel and upper receiver which made my AA upper receiver and barrel fit perfectly. I would usually bed mine with loctite if it was any looser. I always lap my upper to check how square it is with my barrel extension. My upper and lower have zero play between them. Some hand guards have a small diameter and can touch the gas block when put on a rest or bipod. Hand guards do flex. I do know when shooting an AR plat forms it take more follow through than a bolt gun in my experience. Please let us know if you find any thing that makes a difference.

Comment

• GMinor
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2013

Bummer dude.

Well, we can rule out the shooter.

That's a bummer and that is unacceptable. A 1.5 moa rifle isn't worth your time brother. How many rounds do you have through it yet?

It could still be seasoning in.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

did you break your barrel in as Lilja recommends: no, I use one pull of a bore snake every round for the first 5 rounds, then once every 5 for the next 15, then shoot whatever else I'm going to shoot that day. Used the same procedure on the rem 700, it shot 1/2 moa during break in

is your gas block touching your hand guard at any point: no

are you sure your upper receiver face is square with your barrel: no, but its a rainier arms supermatch, I listed the specs earlier in the thread, they guarantee that it is square

It is hard to believe the barrel is the cause since your barrel came from the same lot as Peligroll3 and mine. It is obvious you can shoot good groups but I would re-check your rifle for any other problems.

I'm going to tear it down and re-build it soon

My other grendel, 18" LW , is 3/4 minute all day long
                                Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2014, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X