• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calshipbuilder

Originally posted by GMinor View Post
    Bummer dude.

Well, we can rule out the shooter.

That's a bummer and that is unacceptable. A 1.5 moa rifle isn't worth your time brother. How many rounds do you have through it yet?

It could still be seasoning in.
    I have some load development to do, should get around to it next month. I'm also gonna slap my nightforce on it (known good scope) to see if its a scope issue.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

When I started my Lilja barrel break in, "as they recommend" I had a lot of copper fouling. As I continued cleaning after every shot the copper fouling became less and less. I had one particular land and groove that held the copper fouling longer than the others until around the 9th shot and cleaning. I could see this land and groove fouling on my cleaning patches. This could have been a very small rough spot that retained copper which could effect accuracy.
      I would try their barrel break in method and see if this has a positive effect on your accuracy.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

Ladder Test

Just completed a ladder test with the lilja (20" 740 profile) barrel build. Hope this helps someone else working with their new barrel.

Switched scopes to a 10-50x60 Sightron, testing done at 200 yards.

Disclaimer: This post contains load data that is over maximum book loads, I take no responsibility for your use of this data, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Load Details:

AA Brass, CCI BR4 Primer, 8208 XBR, 107gr SMK, 2.260 OAL

Test Setup:

Loaded 28 rounds, Started from a cold clean bore. 6 sighters at 29.8gr, and 22 rounds for the ladder. Went from 28.6gr to 30.6gr in .2gr increments, 2 rounds per charge weight. ~ 45 seconds between shots. Collected Velocity and POI for each of the 22 rounds in the test and velocity for the Sighters. Shooting Chrony set up at 10 yards.

Observations:

Grendel Ladder Test.pdf
        grendel ladder.JPG

Normally, loads will climb as charge increases, however, this did not happen during this test, the hottest loads were clustered lower, with the exception of #22.

Looking at the clusters, rounds 2,3, and 4 shot into a tight group less than 1/2 moa. I undercharged the first round, as shown by the velocity. SD also looks good for those three shots. However, 28.7gr (2546 FPS) isn't exactly maximizing the capability of the cartridge.

rounds 5-13 created a shotgun pattern

edit: Just saw another node at shots 9-12 (~29.5gr) but SD is poor (19 fps)

15 through 20 grouped up, with 14 sneaking in there close as well. Shots 15-20 fell into ~1.3 inches (sub 3/4 MOA@200), showing a node at 30.2gr (2673 FPS). SD for those 6 rounds was also good, at 12 FPS.

21 and 22 patterned outside the group.

Next steps:
        Load 10 at 30.2gr and 10 at 30.3gr, shoot for groups, then mess will seating depth if necessary.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2014, 02:35 AM.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

Shot 4 groups of 5, all were around 1.5 MOA. Immediately after I was done with the Grendel, I shot a 1/3moa group with my rem 700. I'm gonna tear down the upper and see if anything is loose. If not, this barrel and bolt are going to gunbroker.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
            Warrior
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by calshipbuilder View Post
            Shot 4 groups of 5, all were around 1.5 MOA. Immediately after I was done with the Grendel, I shot a 1/3moa group with my rem 700. I'm gonna tear down the upper and see if anything is loose. If not, this barrel and bolt are going to gunbroker.

Try something besides a bore snake. Those things are not tough enough to get under the copper, and if there is copper in your barrel its going to mess with your grouping. You can get a bronze brush for $5 and screw it onto your cleaning rod.

I recently built a 300 WM on a Rem 700 and my first 'bore' sighting was damn near perfect center of the target. My next three shots were 1/2 MOA and then it started to get outta whack pretty quick from copper stripping. A quick check to see if you've got copper build up: If you have any abrasive solvents that are good at attacking copper, leave some of that in your barrel for 10 minutes and then run a patch through, if it comes out blue try the above link.

Comment

• lilharcher
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

Was thinking the same thing regarding the bore snake vs. bronze brush. I hope this fixes your problem once you confirm that your upper and barrel are square.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

all right, I'll clean the crap out of it and give it another shot.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by calshipbuilder View Post
                  all right, I'll clean the crap out of it and give it another shot.
                  Well don't clean the crap out of it!! What you want is a nice layer of powder fouling between the bullet and the steel, acts kind of like lube. :P Good luck, if you have any questions that the article can't answer feel free to PM me.

Comment

• GMinor
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2013

Bro... Come over to my house. Bring your upper and we will get it spotless without brushes or anything.. Then you can go retest.. AND you can check out my super sweet Grendel...

Comment

• calshipbuilder

Sounds like a plan. I'll shoot you a text

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by GMinor View Post
                        Bro... Come over to my house. Bring your upper and we will get it spotless without brushes or anything.. Then you can go retest.. AND you can check out my super sweet Grendel...
                        What!?

You're not going to share your secret?
                        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• GMinor
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2013

Patch-Out, its no secret.. its my #1 bore cleaning product.

Also a 50/50 mix of kroil and butches bore shine is pretty freaking amazing..

Comment

• Drifter
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Initial results with my black-nitrided Lilja 16.5" barrel have been favorable. Here's a 5-shot 100-yard group using Hornady factory Amax:

Drifter

Comment

• lilharcher
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2013

Very legit Drifter.....nice work!

Comment

• Tedward
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                                Initial results with my black-nitrided Lilja 16.5" barrel have been favorable. Here's a 5-shot 100-yard group using Hornady factory Amax:

Wow, maybe it has something to do with the shooter too. I hear people ask , "will it shoot 1/2"MOA?". I guess the answer is yes with the right person behind the trigger.

Great job! Also what scope, trigger and anything else to help identify the help you got to achieve that. Experience is in there we know....Again, awesome....

Comment

Working...
                                X