• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rebelsoul
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Bama deer vs. Gendel

Luvin' my Grendel. No recoil and I'm just as deadly as I was with my old 30-06. Three whitetails and a bobcat so far. I'm an aggressive spot and stalk hunter, so things happen pretty quick for me. Most shots are on the run. I have a 20" barrel, Simmon 3x9x50 on Burris PEPR mount, Dueck Defense offset BUIS, and Mountain Stalker sling. This rig has caused my Remington 760 to sit on the bench. My girls have 16" rigged the same way. My 16 year old daughter had a swing and a miss on a young buck this season(she swung 3 times, continuing the metaphor). Hope to get her first kill next year. My first 8 point(last year) standing broad side at 80 yds.; 123 amax pass thru just below spine-DRT. Next 7 point runinng wide open at 40 yds.; 123 sst double lung pass thru; I followed the red carpet 50yds to claim my trophy. 8 point quartering toward me at 30 yds.; 123 sst thru the armpit NO EXIT...missed my follow up shot. NO BLOOD TRAIL. found him 60 yds away. Deer seasons over, coyote time...
    Attached Files
    "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".
  • Buster
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

VERY Nice..good job!!

Comment

• tackdriver
      Warrior
      • Feb 2013

Any chance you have pics of the "no exit" bullet?

Comment

• customcutter

Nice deer. Hope your daughters get one soon. Work on those coyotes, they take a lot of fawns.

Comment

• Michael
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

Nice deer. Good luck with the 'yotes
          I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
          - Voltaire

Comment

• rebelsoul
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

Found the naked copper jacket, it had pierced the diaphragm and landed against the inside wall. The boiler room was a mess and I could only find small lead slivers and nothing that resembled a bullet. Hoping for some help from the HORDE on ammo selection. I don't reload, so what is the best out of a box. I like the end of the story from Hornady, but I need a blood trail. 50 yds. equals a mile in the ruff terrain I tread. I'll give my brass to you locals if you teach me to spell.
            "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• explorecaves

If you are around 100 yards or less, and do not want to reload, I personally would direct you to a different round. The factory loads at this time mostly will be going too fast at that range and more likely to explode on impact rather than expand. You could try the 120 gr load from Precision Firearms and see if it holds together better. https://secure.wf-api.com/www.precis...mmunition.html

Now if you were to reload, you could take advantage of the 100 gr or 120 gr Barnes ttsx which should give you nice expansion AND passthrough.

Comment

• customcutter

You must have hit some pretty heavy bone to break up the SST 123, from what I've read. (Just built my first 6.5 Grendel so no experience with it yet). I've tried hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle before where there was little or no blood trail. Unfortunately, I didn't find the deer, but was able to track him a little farther.

Edit, hadn't thought of velocity and consequences.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2014, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Nice buck!
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• rebelsoul
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2014

Thanks for the replys, the 8 point (middle picture) was running quartered toward me. The entry wound shattered TWO ribs, exploded is a accurate discription of the sst.
                    Last edited by rebelsoul; 02-03-2014, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Great post. For more premium bullets that hold together well at close ranges:

You could get the 120gr TSX load from AA.

AA 130gr Swift Scirocco

There is also the 130gr Nosler Accubond load from Precision Firearms.

6.5 Grendel 120 Barnes TTSX LEAD FREE, 6.5 Grendel 120 Barnes TSX LEAD FREE, 6.5 Grendel 100gr Barnes TTSX LEAD FREE, 6.5 Grendel 100 gr. Nosler Ammunition, Custom AR-15 Rifles, Custom Uppers, Custom Lower, 6.5 Grendel, AR15, AR 15, AR-15, AR15 upper, custom upper, Lilja, DPMS, Precision, Precision Firearms, Precision-firearms, percision firearms, custom upper, custom ar, custom ar15, barrels, rifle barrels, Shilen, CAA, Command Arms, Yankee Hill, Yankee Hill Machine, 204 ruger, .204 ruger, 223 wyld
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2014, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2014

Nice advice from you all. Any kills with any of the rounds suggested? I'm an aggressive spot and stalk hunter; I listen for deer and then go to them. I light up a cigar for a wind gauge and plan my attack. This style changes my suroundings and shooting distance constantly. I need performance from 0-350 yds. BTW how far can I push a 20" barrel for whitetails? Any long range whitetail kills to share? I want ethical kills on my part.

Comment

• explorecaves

You should really pick up and read Volume 2 of the grendel reloading handbook. Lots of great information for hunting with the grendel in it.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                            You should really pick up and read Volume 2 of the grendel reloading handbook. Lots of great information for hunting with the grendel in it.
                            Books are cool, thanks. I welcome anyone to join Cory and help this jock with my homework. I'd like to here from some barbarians that get down and dirty in the brush and briars like I do.

Comment

Originally posted by rebelsoul View Post
                              Books are cool, thanks. I welcome anyone to join Cory and help this jock with my homework. I'd like to here from some barbarians that get down and dirty in the brush and briars like I do.
                              90% of my hunting is brushing it... I love to stalk and find sitting in a blind very boring. I use 123 SST exclusively BUT I load my own and find that a lower powder charge is more effective on game at ranges of 100 yds or less. I get gaping exit holes on deer and, more times than not, on hogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X