• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
    90% of my hunting is brushing it... I love to stalk and find sitting in a blind very boring. I use 123 SST exclusively BUT I load my own and find that a lower powder charge is more effective on game at ranges of 100 yds or less. I get gaping exit holes on deer and, more times than not, on hogs.
    If that's the case have you thought about usinga 140gr SST or the 120gr TTSX?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• rebelsoul
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by cory View Post
      If that's the case have you thought about usinga 140gr SST or the 120gr TTSX?
      I'll look at all the rounds y'all suggested. The 120gr TTSX got a lot of votes. What about distance? I want 0-350 yds. or more. I'll have to get a better scope before I go long range. What about energy? It's got to have some STANK on it when it gets there!
      Last edited by rebelsoul; 02-04-2014, 02:59 AM.
      "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by rebelsoul View Post
        I'll look at all the rounds y'all suggested. The 120gr TTSX got a lot of votes. What about distance? I want 0-350 yds. or more. I'll have to get a better scope before I go long range. What about energy? It's got to have some STANK on it when get there!
        You will have to reload for the barnes bullets. If you are going to do that, I would try the 100gr and the 120gr ttsx pills as they should retain most of their weight even on a short distance impact.

Comment

• rebelsoul
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
          You will have to reload for the barnes bullets. If you are going to do that, I would try the 100gr and the 120gr ttsx pills as they should retain most of their weight even on a short distance impact.
          Thanks EC I won't be reloading any time soon. Bikini season is coming up and that keeps me busy. I have a lot to learn before I start stuffin my own. BTW what will it cost to get started reloading?
          "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• rebelsoul
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

90% of my hunting is brushing it... I love to stalk and find sitting in a blind very boring. I use 123 SST exclusively BUT I load my own and find that a lower powder charge is more effective on game at ranges of 100 yds or less. I get gaping exit holes on deer and, more times than not, on hogs.
            Keep drivin on PigOPs, don't let 'em rest.

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Thanks EC I won't be reloading any time soon. Bikini season is coming up and that keeps me busy. I have a lot to learn before I start stuffin my own. BTW what will it cost to get started reloading?
              RCBS has a great kit for ~$300(can be found on sale for ~$250) that has everything you need sans dies. Then you need your brass, powder, and bullets.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I like the victory cigar after a good hunt!

Comment

Keep drivin on PigOPs, don't let 'em rest.
                  Look into a RCBS reloading kit is $217 on sale at Midway. Plus powder, dies, bullets, primers brass maybe a couple, three hundred more but the initial investment and joy of making your own ammo is nothing. Ask the others there is a real pride in reloading your own stuff. Plus will save you $$$.
                  Nice deer!

Comment

• rebelsoul
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Mav714 View Post
                    I like the victory cigar after a good hunt!
                    I burn a stogie the entire hunt for enjoyment. However, it is the most important gadget I use. I hunt a small mountain with swirling thermal currents. My "wind guage" lets me slither undetected towards my prey. Two years ago I led my oldest girl on a hour long creep thru the briars that ended with a 10 yd. encounter with an acorn feeding 6 point.
                    When the deer walked into my smoke cloud, the jig was up. This was pre-grendel. My girl's MAK 90 was out of position and she had one foot in the air and a saw briar across her throat. She didn't Git-er-dun but she still talks about the RUSH!
                    Last edited by rebelsoul; 02-05-2014, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by Mav714 View Post
                      Plus will save you $$$.
                      Nice deer!
                      Most people I know say they actually don't save any money because they end up shooting more. LOL

Comment

The biggest deer my brother ever killed was while smoking a cigarette... I personally think smoke is a good cover up.

Comment

• 81police
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2013

Nice job with the Grendel! Congrats!
                          John 11:25-26

Comment

• rebelsoul
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2014

The biggest deer my brother ever killed was while smoking a cigarette... I personally think smoke is a good cover up.
                            Smoking makes me look cool too. Right?

Comment

• jluck
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2013

Cuban?

Comment

• rebelsoul
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by jluck View Post
                                Cuban?
                                Nope, I'm 'merican... My "wind guage" is Nicaraguan, 60 ring guage, full bodied, long filler with a maduro wrapper.
                                Last edited by rebelsoul; 02-06-2014, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X