Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any reason why a chamber & throat "go" gage cannot be made by machining a solid or fluted piece of steel to the SAAMI chamber specs (including the compound throat)? Most of the dimensions could be verified with calipers or micrometers, so that should keep skeptics happy.

I suspect that the gage would need to be some amount smaller than the minimum SAAMI dimensions, but this needs to be left up to someone with more smarts and machining experience than me. In fact, if the specs are entered into a CNC machine, several of these could be made quickly and sold to those who want to use them on chambers. I am sure that they would fetch more money as presents for Grendel afficionados (you know who you are ). Think paperweight * ... but I digress

Of course, a chamber reamer could also be used, but I do not know if would be as easy (and inexpensive) as gage above.

Barring a better idea, ink or dykem could be applied to the gage which is then put in the barrel. If it does not bottom out properly, it could be gently spun to determine where the largest defect is.
    How can all of the defects be found with one gage? Damned if I know, but someone else might.

No-go gages could be made as well, but the details of the compound throat might pose a problem for a single gage.

- Jim

* Or earrings for someone with really, really strong ears.

Comment

Wouldn't want to spin a steel gauge in the chamber. Brass would be an option.

Comment

Surely one of our forum members has access to a lathe capable of turning to batter than .0005" tolerances?

Make one and see how many offers at what price, then we'll know whether the market will support making a bunch. Barrel makers might want them to be sure their reamers are still in spec after sharpening -- unless they have optical measuring equipment.

BTW, we should consider making a SAAMI 6.5 Grendel and a .264 LBC Throat gauge set. If the Grendel fits, but the .264 Doesn't, then it is probably a Grendel or a tight throat version.

Comment

• tangodown
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2018

Ok to start I get All my Reamers from Dave at Pacific Tool And Gauge. He has told me there are 3 specifications people go with. The semi auto SAAMI spec. The bolt gun SAAMI spec and their own idea of SAAMI spec. I just buy reamers for all my calibers from him and re ream my chambers after I clean and polish them before I put them on a receiver.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by tangodown View Post
            Ok to start I get All my Reamers from Dave at Pacific Tool And Gauge. He has told me there are 3 specifications people go with. The semi auto SAAMI spec. The bolt gun SAAMI spec and their own idea of SAAMI spec. I just buy reamers for all my calibers from him and re ream my chambers after I clean and polish them before I put them on a receiver.
            What? Is this true? That the proprietor of PTG believes there are two distinct SAAMI specs for this calibre; 'semi auto' and 'bolt gun'. I get that the third scenario is a bespoke reamer so a non-issue but your post implies the customer talking to PTG and both agreeing to alter what is a single standard industry spec based on their expectation of the type of action it's going into.

Who are you and what is your business name?

Comment

• tangodown
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2018

Yes, just ask Dave about semi auto spec and bolt gun spec. Semi auto has to be at the top of SAAMI spec ( loose) to be loaded and extracted over and over again at a fast rate. Bolt gun spec is loaded with you cramming the round in by hand and its going to be tight. To tight for semi auto. So its going to be at bottom of SAAMI spec. Now there are some companies that take it upon themselves to do different run outs, throats, or lead. Thats from the neck of the case out to the groves and landings. That's where it gets Fu$%# up. Some companies give you no room, some give you a lot. That's where this device comes into play.
              Attached Files

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Unbelievable.
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by tangodown View Post
                  I personally will go to Manson or JGS instead, or one of the European tool makers.
                  Last edited by LRRPF52; 04-12-2018, 03:59 PM.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tangodown
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2018

So has anyone ever ordered custom reamers and sizing dies at the same time from a manufacture? If so did they ever ask you what u wanted on the lead and the dimensions? I have made my own wild cat cartridges and I had a say in the entire print from start to finish. In the end I had reamers, sizing dies, and case gauges all made at the same time off of the same reamers they made for my chamber. Just wondering? I know you guys know what you are talking about. Just seeing how far you have gone in doing so. NO DISRESPECT INTENDED!! That's for all the hate that will follow.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                      Unbelievable.
                      Yup
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                      X