• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rebelsoul
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Who's got the longest one?

Whitetail kill, that is. I want to know how far down range I can expect an ethical kill. How far and what bullet/barrel were you running. Any botched shots that I shouldn't try? Does the old rule of thumb of 1000 ft.lbs. stand. I like exit wounds for better tracking. I've been looking over PA_allen's shoulder and taking notes (I want to grow up to be like him). I want to know about bullet performance when hitting hair,hide and bone... Does anybody wrap their ballistic gel in these components or analog?
    "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".
  • 81police
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

Texas whitetail @ 175-180 yards with factory hornady 123gr sst. Quartering towards me, ran approx 10 yards and folded. Full bullet pass thru, large exit wound, lots of blood. I'm a believer.
    John 11:25-26

Comment

Originally posted by rebelsoul View Post
      Whitetail kill, that is. I want to know how far down range I can expect an ethical kill... How far and what bullet/barrel were you running... ...Does the old rule of thumb of 1000 ft.lbs. stand...
      These questions and more are answered in Volume 2 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook (http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ading-Handbook)

Expanding slightly, the longest range for attempting a shot will depend on a number of factors:
      1. the size of game and the bullet weight,
      2. the maximum range the bullet will reliably expand at,
      3. the shooter's abiity to place a bullet in the vital zone, and
      4. other extenuating factors like wind, game movement, etc.

The 1000 ft-lb rule of thumb can be misleading because it says nothing about what is really needed to bring down a game animal quickly.

Lest anyone get the wrong idea that this post discourages further contributions to this thread, please don't get the wrong idea!!!

Everyone's experiences add to our understanding of the way things work. I know that the bullet recommendations in the handbook are viewed by some as being over conservative. There are also a few who view them as optimistic, especially on the larger animals.

Threads like this one help to tell us what adjustments we have to make in the future!

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
        These questions and more are answered in Volume 2 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook (http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ading-Handbook)
        This advice sounds eerily familiar…. LOL

Comment

• rebelsoul
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
          This advice sounds eerily familiar…. LOL
          EC, let's get it on... I'm wearing my cup this time.
          "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• rebelsoul
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

Thanks JA. Let's start with Hornady 123sst and a 20" barrel.

Comment

If you do a search in the hunting section using the Custom Search Engine, you will find some very recent longer distance white tail and Kodiak Island deer kills. They ranged from the mid 300's, to 498yds IIRC.

Comment

Thanks JA. Let's start with Hornady 123sst and a 20" barrel.
                Page 50 of Volume II gives a recommended max range for a 16" barrel. The graph on page 33 of Volume I indicates that you can expect to see a tad under 100 ft/sec to the muzzle velocity, which will add 75 - 100 yards to the already impressive long range.

That range is based on gel tests to assess the minimum opening velocity of the 123 gr SST and on straightforward ballistics calculations.

Don't forget the other factors in deciding your max 'ethical' range. It really does depend as much on the shooter as it does on the rifle and cartridge.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  If you do a search in the hunting section using the Custom Search Engine, you will find some very recent longer distance white tail and Kodiak Island deer kills. They ranged from the mid 300's, to 498yds IIRC.
                  Thanks lurp, I'll continue to dig around. I'm searching for factory ammo. I don't plan to stuff my on anytime soon. I've got two Hornady 123sst whitetail kills; one no exit shot
                  that made me ask these questions. I also have another whitetail at 80yds. and a bobcat at 100yds. with Hornady 123amax. I have plenty of both.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by 81police View Post
                    Texas whitetail @ 175-180 yards with factory hornady 123gr sst. Quartering towards me, ran approx 10 yards and folded. Full bullet pass thru, large exit wound, lots of blood. I'm a believer.
                    Nice. What bullet path?

Comment

• Kikn
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2011

I Shot A Doe This Year With Factory 123SST loads. The Shot Was At 238 Yards On A 110# Doe. She Was Broadside and The Shot Was A FUll paSs Through Double Lung That Broke Ribs On The Way In And The Way Out. She Fell Like A Sack Of Well You Know.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
                        I Shot A Doe This Year With Factory 123SST loads. The Shot Was At 238 Yards On A 110# Doe. She Was Broadside and The Shot Was A FUll paSs Through Double Lung That Broke Ribs On The Way In And The Way Out. She Fell Like A Sack Of Well You Know.
                        Thanks for sharing. What barrel? How far would you push it? For now disregard the variables.

Comment

• Kikn
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2011

Thanks for sharing. What barrel? How far would you push it? For now disregard the variables.

The shot was from a 16" barrel. I'm confident I could have shot out to 300-400 yards with my setup and still be able to put the shot where needed provided the animal remained static.

At the time I was shooting into a mild head wind

Comment

Where is the "752-yard-speedgoat" thread? IIRC, it was done with the AMax as well. The read and recovered bullet tell a lot. This guy did his prep work and practiced in the same conditions.

I know my skills aren't up to that level of shooting.
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• 81police
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2013

Nice. What bullet path?
                              I hugged the inside of the front shoulder, exit wound was just behind ribcage on opposite side. Barrel length 18"
                              John 11:25-26

Comment

Working...
                              X