• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on where the ideal balance point should be on a rifle?
    To me it would be right at the base of the HG so it carries in one hand well.
    Many have said "the delta ring".

I tend to agree, more so for shooting, but works well for carrying too.
    Drifter

Comment

• dmsims21
      Warrior
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by burkew23 View Post
      Looks great, how did the Vltor logo still show up after the paint job? I like it, just curious if you had to tape it off or if it just showed through.
      I looked at the upper a little closer and realized that the paint actually covered the white color. You can still see the logo because the texture of the logo is rougher than the rest of the upper, so it makes it makes it stand out.
      www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• dmsims21
        Warrior
        • Nov 2012

2014-10-25 0.56.jpg
        I have been doing some shooting and load development with my rifle.
        My shooting and loads have been steadily improving. I started out at just under 1 MOA with 0.9" groups. Then I got into the 8s then the 7s and then a 0.64" five shot group.

I really need to focus on my technique since my rifle is fairly light.

Well today I broke into the 5s. I shot at 0.56" group. I measured it at 0.59", but OnTarget measured it at 0.56. I pulled the bottom shot a little. I think there is still room for improvement.

Load Data
        123gr A-Max
        1 Fired Lapua
        31.2gr CFE-223
        2.25 OAL
        2517 fps (faster than Factory 123 SST in my rifle)

I really like CFE-223. It is accurate, clean, and it meters very very well. That load is a little over gassed though. I get ejector swipe, FTF, and failure to lock the bolt back on the last round. I guess I should get an adjustable gas block.

I my rifle also likes 28.0gr of 8208. It spits them out right at 2500 fps.
        My velocities with 8208 are very consistent.
        I shot 107gr SMKs over 29.6 gr of 8208, 2.26 OAL.
        Average was 2647 fps with an extreme spread of 6 fps.

Comment

• usmc1371
          Warrior
          • Aug 2011

Wow nice group.

Comment

• Sputnik
            Warrior
            • May 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Excellent build and KG Gun Kote job. I really like how this turned out for you. That Rock Hollow handguard looks sweet as well. He's a fellow forum member that you all can find in the Industry Section.
            I tried to order a 12 inch vented HG from Rock Hollow, but was refunded. Any word on what is going on or when/if he will be back at making HG's?

Comment

• dmsims21
              Warrior
              • Nov 2012

I don't know for certain, but the issue may just be with the vents.
              When I ordered mine, I asked about the vents. He responded that he could not find an economical way to machine them and wasn't offering a vented version anymore.
              If the vents aren't a deal breaker, you may be able to get one from him.

Comment

• Sputnik
                Warrior
                • May 2013

I have a feeling you might have had good timing. He said he wondered how I got to make the order as he took the site down a few months ago.

A message back to me stated he was having supply problems as his supplier is retooling and won't be making any for a while.
                I told him I liked the look and they were priced right. I am now focusing on the AP Custom carbon Fiber, but there aren't many around. I believe they are making a higher priced version now....tactical. I think I found one at Trop elite. Anyway, good looking firestick, it is a shooter!

Comment

• dmsims21
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2012

Sputnik,

I have another option.
                  After looking at the RHT carbon fiber handguard, I figured out a more rigid mounting method.
                  The RHT CF HG has steel lock rings glued into it. You use an OD threaded barrel but to install the barrel. Then thread on the HG and use a third lock ring to tighten and time the HG.

I have a better idea, but it requires a little gluing by the end user.

1. Purchase 2" CF tube in 6ft lengths and cut into multiple HGs.
                  2. Buy a standard free float barrel but. I used Nordic Components, but ATI will work.
                  3. Machine an aluminum adaptor. It has ID threads to match the barrel but. It also has an internal lip to tighten up against the barrel nut.
                  4. Tighten the adaptor slave onto the barrel but.
                  5. Glue the HG onto the sleeve.
                  6. Get a few people to do this, and you can have your own CF HG for around $100.
                  I already have a drawing for the adaptor.
                  I will post a pic later.

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
                    Sputnik,

I have another option.
                    After looking at the RHT carbon fiber handguard, I figured out a more rigid mounting method.
                    The RHT CF HG has steel lock rings glued into it. You use an OD threaded barrel but to install the barrel. Then thread on the HG and use a third lock ring to tighten and time the HG.

I have a better idea, but it requires a little gluing by the end user.

1. Purchase 2" CF tube in 6ft lengths and cut into multiple HGs.
                    2. Buy a standard free float barrel but. I used Nordic Components, but ATI will work.
                    3. Machine an aluminum adaptor. It has ID threads to match the barrel but. It also has an internal lip to tighten up against the barrel nut.
                    4. Tighten the adaptor slave onto the barrel but.
                    5. Glue the HG onto the sleeve.
                    6. Get a few people to do this, and you can have your own CF HG for around $100.
                    I already have a drawing for the adaptor.
                    I will post a pic later.
                    Innovation, I love it. Looking forward to the pictures.

Comment

• Sputnik
                      Warrior
                      • May 2013

I bet you could get into the "business" with a concept like that. Patent it! Are you going to take orders? Heh..Heh! Sounds strong and solid!

Comment

• dmsims21
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2012

I started a new thread on the handguard here:

I mentioned my idea for a new style of Carbon Fiber Handguard on another thread, and some guys showed some interest. I thought I would start a new thread to see if there is any interest in me making a limited run of these. I had a CF HG with threaded rings glued into a carbon fiber tube. It was then threaded onto a free float

Comment

Working...
                        X