The story of the "Ghost Dog": Wolf Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Overwatcher

The bullets did not go through,only a 1/2" entrance hole.Very happy with the minimal pelt damage.The grey went down without a hitch.I also shot a smaller coyote last weekend,was also very surprised at how well the pelt stayed in tact.Poor guy didn't even have a chance to twitch before he was flipped on his back lol

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Always stay in a forward motion, on hunt ideas.

Enjoy the past, it will always be there with, & beside you. You have achieved what a many, can't even comprehend. Wolfenstein dude! Time spent afield is well worth the effort.

Never ever quit, never ever surrender., never ever forget,,always stay on point-the mission. Tenacity rules.

Nice to see a fellow hunter have such good luck. Rock on OW.
      S1

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Well done! Are there any elk left in Idaho? I know some of the herds have been absolutely devastated, and now the deer populations may be declining as well.

Comment

• customcutter

Great story and told perfectly. I'm ate up with turkey fever, the way you are on the wolves. It's a great chess game once I hear that gobble.

Comment

• PA_Allen
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Wonderful story and great shooting! Thank you for taking the time to share.
            Best,
            PA

Comment

• rebelsoul
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

I thought I wanted to grow up to be like PA, but a 300yd. shot at a running target? Dude, I want to party with you.
              "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Great read! That begs to be published somewhere. Preferably somewhere that PETA will have to see it on a daily basis. What can I said, I thoroughly enjoy pissing off hippies.

Anyways, damn fine hunting.
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Overwatcher

Thanks guys,again like I say there is practically no way I would have got both without the Grendel.With the secenarios shooting at wolves,a bolt gun would have not sealed either of the doubles.An autoloader can help that lol.. I have had my fair share of on the run coyotes,and it takes some learning curve to whack them consistently,and usually the second or third shot.Also the size differnce from a coyote to a wolf is shocking! Again the Grendel is tough to beat,25 rounds in a lightweight autoloading platfom that can whack down a solid sized critter..I'm all ears for anything better
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2014, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                    Warrior
                    • May 2011

Congrats, we hunted about 2 weeks worth in mi and didn't get any closer than about an hour behind a pack of 6
                    Last edited by toolsofthetrade; 02-12-2014, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Overwatcher

Its really tough,wolves are circuit runners,typically 30 miles and up to a 50 mile loop.Luckily this gray was a more resident dog..once you can get that pattern dialed in,your odds will go up.I feel for the guys who can only get a weekend or a few days in..Just blind luck at that rate!
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2014

Hey ow, Thanks for post #23. I thought I might be suffering from "Low T", I don't always make it happen with one shot. I'd like to hear the play by play on those exciting shots. What scope, set on what power? How many shots and how far was your lead (or at 300yds., did you use magic). Any technique you can share for making a 250yd. free hand (out of breath) shot? What drugs can I try to get a similar RUSH?
                        "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

You da man!!! Great story and thanks for sharing it.

Comment

• Overwatcher

Originally posted by rebelsoul View Post
                            Hey ow, Thanks for post #23. I thought I might be suffering from "Low T", I don't always make it happen with one shot. I'd like to hear the play by play on those exciting shots. What scope, set on what power? How many shots and how far was your lead (or at 300yds., did you use magic). Any technique you can share for making a 250yd. free hand (out of breath) shot? What drugs can I try to get a similar RUSH?
                            Sometimes we don't get that broadside standing opportunity,wish we all could all the time! The gray was almost perfectly broadside,and he was slowly trotting.He actually crouched down when I was running full blast at him.Once he realized I wasnt going to stop,he finally got up and decided to give me an opportunity. The first shot went right over his back,thought he was further and everything happens so fast..I actually saw the splash of snow..next shot was a direct hit to the heart..He went down so fast I thought he crouched back down! As for the black she took off like a rocket at 4 o clock,she already had 200 yards plus on me.By the time I got set up she was about at the 1 o clock that sure makes a running shot a lot easier..Hit her in the spine on the 3rd shot.The Grendel really made it happen with being able to send lead and having that quick follow up shot.Luck? She was a bonus for sure!
                            As for what I have learned from 3 gun and shooting my fair share of mutts(For what its worth)
                            I always set my scope on the lowest power,never know what's going to jump over the top of you,and nothing worse then having to mess with your scope when its too late.
                            Practice! I set 8 and 10"plates and will run around and will work on breathing and relaxing while winded and making shots.Average kill zone for a coyote is a mere 8"
                            I'm the only weird guy out running around the range,however I have never shot any predator off the bags!
                            Never tense up! Being tense allows your body to fight the gun,and can lead to jerking the trigger.Typically when you are all tense this will also not allow you to breathe.By holding your breath,it actually creates a split second difference from what is really going on and what your eyes actually see.
                            I killed the first part of the LR stage at the NWMG match in Bend,OR,and couldn't hit anything on the last half of the stage!! Well come to find out with holding my breath my eyes were occilating in and out of focus and it killed me dead.
                            As for running coyotes,of course always try to get the best shot you can,and get them stopped.Some will hard charge you and can't get stopped causing a miss.Stay paitent after they cut at a 90 from you..let them get to where they are headed in an 11 to 1 o clock cone from you.Going to make your leads a heck of a lot less.This is where a lot of new callers mess up.They just want to machine gun after the first shot and the coyote will hit mach 2 juking left and right.Gotta think,odds are they have no clue whats going on,shoot i have even had ones just stop and turn out for a split second to see what the hell just happened!hitting a coyote even 100 yards plus at mach 2 on a 3 o clock run is plain luck!
                            I shot my first 2 wolves on 2.5x,and this set on 5x.
                            Hope it helps man.
                            OW

Comment

• Overwatcher

Also a good read:

Something that has really stuck with me was from an article in PX from Dustin Butler.Went something like this..
                              "There are two kinds of coyote hunters,coyote callers and coyote killers"
                              Huge difference in the two! Really made me kick up my shooting aspect of predator hunting,and will stick with me forever.
                              Do we put all this effort and work into hunting,to miss!?
                              One last thing is don't let your ego get the best of you,if your not the "dead eye" you wish you were,be willing to accept the fact and be willing to get better.
                              Don't let the guys at the local watering hole sit and tell you this or that and hear about the 100's of wolves and coyotes they have shot..Its just noise.Do what fits you,put in the time and get the outcome you strive for.You will hear nothing but crickets the next time you walk in..
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2014

Thanks OW, I'm feeling better about myself now. I enjoyed your story better than the articles in Playboy.

Comment

Working...
                                X