• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

A New Build

Part 1

I have repeatedly been asked my opinion on Black Hole Weaponry barrels, particularly once people realized that it was a local business to me. Unfortunately, my personal experience was limited to my 16" 5.56 barreled carbine. About 8 months ago I was offered the chance to purchase a new Black Hole Weaponry 16" barrel at dealer cost. This would not be a Grendel chamber, but a Les Baer .264 barrel. This barrel actually had the same profile as the 16" 5.56 barrel in my competition gun, and I thought it would be an interesting match. I received the barrel/bolt in late July and its been sitting in my safe since. I did double check that it was a Grendel spec bolt, not the shallow .125 version typically used for 7.62x39.

Late last year I began hearing rumors that Precision Firearms had developed their own billet upper and lower, and after some very enlightening discussions Mark agreed to let me buy a set, along with his lower parts kit. Mark is a joy to talk with, and very gracious in answering questions about his company, parts, and building an AR, whether its yours or his.

Mark had provided some of the parts on a previous 5.56 build, giving me great advice about a carbon fiber handguard from Lancer that I ended up using and really liking. He told me this time about a handguard from Geissele, (yes, the trigger people!) that he had been using and really liked. I asked him to send one of those along as well. http://geissele.com/15-super-modular...iii-black.html

Last week the parts arrived, and after inspecting the separately packed upper and lower, I began unpacking everything else. Once I had all the parts out, I again closely inspected each individual piece, and them started dry mating them with the other pieces I would be using.

It immediately became obvious that this was the tightest upper/lower match I had ever had the pleasure of manipulating. The two pieces fit together so well that when I closed my eyes and tried to feel the seam where they came together I could only identify it accurately by feel about 1/2 the time. The finish on the parts was impeccable, with nary a ding or lost anodizing anywhere, not even on the sharper than normal edges of the brass deflector, an area where even milspec, rounded surfaces often lose anodizing. The fit was snug enough that I could hold the upper and the lower would not fall free. Flipping it over, the upper would not fall off the lower, either. This caused some concern, because disassembly can become problematical if the match is this tight BEFORE there were pins in it. I searched in vain for tooling marks. There simply aren't any that I could find, even in the hard to reach and seldom seen places like the inside of the rail above the charging handle. No swirls, no linear marks, no nothing.

I moved on to the forearm and barrel nut. Geissele has chosen to go another route, and where many companies continue with the traditional barrel nut or some variation, Geissele has created a tubular bearing with 3 separate journals that is threaded inside to fit over the uppers threading, locking the barrel extension in place and providing several inches of support to the hand guard. The instructions say that using a small amount of lubricant might be helpful, as the fit is just .001 difference in ID of the handguard and the OD of the bearing. The instructions strongly caution that the fit should be snug, but not impossible to manipulate by hand. After attempting a true dry fitting, I put a few drops of Lubriplate FMO-AW 350-AW oil on each of the 3 journals, and the handguard slid nicely into place. I disassembled the pieces and went to work finding the rest of the parts I would need, including the proper gas block, which I had neglected to tell Mark I would need.

Once I had all the parts together Saturday afternoon, I began assembling the upper. The trial run dry fitting all the parts was very helpful, and the upper was together in little more than 30 minutes, with all the proper torque specifications. Geissele recommends using 40 foot pounds on the barrel nut bearing, but points out that AR's have been built for decades without any specific torque numbers in wide use and most of them shoot very reliably. The gas block screws were torqued to 20 inch pounds, and the two bolts securing the handguard to the 5 foot pounds recommended. These two bolts fit beneath the journal gaps on the bearing surface and mate with two nuts pressed into the opposite side of the upper before shipping.(Note to the wise....Pay attention to FOOT POUNDS vs INCH POUNDS!) Try to torque those little gas block screws to 20 foot pounds and you'll ruin the screws, the block, or both!

With the upper assembled, I pulled out a couple parts kits and grabbed the Precision Billet Lower and a Spikes tactical forged lower I had in the safe. With my adult son, we began a side by side build of the two, using Precision Firearms lower parts kits. (I've found that you can build a lower with 2 hands, but that a third or fourth hand can be very helpful at a couple steps!)

The Precision lower went together like butter, with every part fitting correctly and without binding or problem. This again confirmed Precision Firearms attention to detail, every hole was precisely the right size, with no flashing or rough areas. The Spikes tactical forged lower was almost as good, though we had a couple very minor issues with alignments. They were within spec, but just not quite as perfect as Precisions Billet.
    Last edited by bwaites; 02-12-2014, 12:32 AM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Part Two

I had previously decided that this build would have a CMC 3.5# flat drop in trigger, and it installed without a hitch. For those of you who have not tried them, this is an incredibly good feeling trigger for the money. A good friend who is a national level 3Gun Nation shooter recommended I try it, and it is beautifully efficient. You can buy them currently for $159 if you shop around. http://www.cabelas.com/product/CMC-T...er/1379139.uts (CMC's server is down currently)

However, the Spikes Tactical lower was built using the trigger than comes in the Precision Firearms kit. Looking at it, it seemed to be well made, with nicely polished surfaces. But good looks don't always equate to good function. In this case, however, they matched. This is without question the best parts kit trigger I've ever seen. It has NO creep, no rough grittiness, and breaks crisply at about 6-7 pounds. I haven't run my trigger gauge on it yet because I want it to settle in a bit to give a good idea of what its capable of, but I was VERY impressed with this trigger.

I did perform my standard 4-40 screw trick on the rear pin detent spring, so it doesn't take a hike when the castle nut is loosened.

So, with all the parts for the upper and lower installed, all that was left was to screw on the Seekins Precision muzzle brake to finish it off. (No Seekins isn't yet building Grendel brakes, but BHW uses a 5/8 x 24 thread and a 7.62 brake fits just great. This is the most effective 5.56 brake I've found, and because of the way its made, it is not terribly offensive to other shooters. http://www.seekinsprecision.com/part...le-brakes.html

For a video of how well this brake works, watch this video of the 5.56 version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLDin9CmQp8

Finally, I attempted to top the upper with a 1-6 Vortex scope in a Larue 1.5 mount. The only problem encountered in the entire build popped up. Picatinny rails were originally designed so that crossbolts would hold whatever was mounted on them. The spacing had to be precise, but the width of the grooves was slightly less important. However, over the years, more and more QD mounts have made use of the Picatinny lugs by mating their own lugs into the Picatinny spaces. That is the case with the Larue. However, Precision is, well...... precise. They built the rail to the most precise standard they could, which meant that for some mounting systems, including Larue and Nightforce, the gaps were too tight. They went to the minimum dimension, while most other manufacturers used a nominal dimension somewhere in the middle. The problem was easily solved in my case, I simply relieved the two lugs necessary with a file. My upper will be cerakoted eventually, so no one will ever know.

I've spoken with Mark at Precision, and they had already adjusted their machinery to be a bit more forgiving after discovering the issues themselves.

Kudos to the fine folk at Precision, and especially to Mark for his help and advice. This combo is beautiful and hopefully will shoot as well as it looks.

So now, the 16 inch Grendel requires shooting, and I'll get to that either Friday or Monday.

Pictures will be done soon, (hopefully by this weekend).
    Last edited by bwaites; 02-12-2014, 12:50 AM.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Pics or it didn't happen, buddy. HAHA
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Top of the line build all away around. I have been eying the Geissele hand guards since they came out with them. They look like one of the strongest hand guards on the market. Looking forward to your opinion on them. The rear take down pin spring screw trick is very simple and worth the time. The only concern I have is with your tight upper and lower for who ever Cerakotes them, it may be necessary to tape the upper receiver lugs and lower receiver recesses to keep the perfect fit. Looking forward to pictures. I would also like to see video of you shooting plates at 100 yards using a mirror facing up range.

Comment

Please elaborate on the 4-40 screw trick... ordered a CMC trigger myself on Monday... shot one a few months back and I loved it, out shooting the owner of the weapon with his own rifle in fact, who complained about the trigger having too much creep (bought that one from him that day as well) anxious to hear your input on the barrel and other parts, I already know about the handguards, seen them awhile back over at my old unit where they were evaluating them to replace the Daniel (garage door) Defense rails that they were dealing with. I was really set on the Lancer tube until everyone started talking about how heavy they were, then I looked at AP Customs but couldn't find them at the time. I ended up with a Fortis rail that I just know I'm going to hate because of the imperfections in the finish and the way it mounts. I am definitely going to watch this build closely because I think your taste and mine are close. I like functional parts and I expect things to fit right. The money they get for these parts is great for the quality that is given.

Comment

• explorecaves

4-40 screw trick: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=381209

Comment

Rgr, thanks, investing in 4-40 setscrews as I type this, building 25 backup lowers next week. I never want to reach for a lower again and be out of them.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Yea I just ordered several.

It may be more than I'll need, but it's still less than I'd spend if I went to the hardware store.
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                  Pics or it didn't happen, buddy. HAHA
                  Lousy pics, good cameras are put away! Colors are not permanent, the entire rifle will be Cerakoted once the permanent adjustable gas block arrives. Grip will also be changed to an Ergo Tactical.

Comment

• cst
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2014

you mean these.. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006O72M4/...I27I3YKZC0SWL5

Comment

• cst
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2014

what color are you gonna change it to? Are you going to test fire some groups before you do?

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2012

I want to see a detailed review of the scope, I was thinking about it for my Lilja build.
                        sigpic

Comment

• lilharcher
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2013

Top quality build! What cerakote color are you going with?

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

I will run some groups through it if weather permits. The Cerakote won't happen until I get the adjustable gas block for final installation.

As for color, I'm still considering. I have some ideas, but want to talk it over with the cerakoter.

Comment

• cst
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2014

burnt Bronze!

Last edited by cst; 02-12-2014, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X