sitting still. a physical still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sitting still. a physical still

I just spent the day sighting in grendels and doing a little hog hunting with a fellow forum member. Once we got up in our climbers , he got still. The sun beat down, it got humid and the wind died. It rained on us, the bugs sucked our blood. His wife txed him. My wife txed me. Deer come by. Turkeys came by. We ran out of food and water. It got too dark to shoot. He sat still all time and never moved. He knew what he was doing..he was hunting hogs. He never made a sound or moved till I came down from my stand. I havn't had a hunter hunt with me in 10 years who was able to just sit still and hunt. That's probably a more important physical skill to a hunter then the ability to hit out to 1200 yards. Thanks for the hunt CC. And the berrys you brought are great.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

My ability to sit still sometimes seems directly related to what my trail cameras have revealed. It's a bad habit, as the cameras catch only a small portion of reality.

And when I can see long distances from a stand, it seems easy to get lazy and careless with movement, only to get busted by game at close range.

The art of sitting still is as much mental as it is physical, and maybe even more so.

Glad y'all had a good day.
    Drifter

Comment

• GMinor
      Warrior
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
      I just spent the day sighting in grendels and doing a little hog hunting with a fellow forum member. Once we got up in our climbers , he got still. The sun beat down, it got humid and the wind died. It rained on us, the bugs sucked our blood. His wife txed him. My wife txed me. Deer come by. Turkeys came by. We ran out of food and water. It got too dark to shoot. He sat still all time and never moved. He knew what he was doing..he was hunting hogs. He never made a sound or moved till I came down from my stand. I havn't had a hunter hunt with me in 10 years who was able to just sit still and hunt. That's probably a more important physical skill to a hunter then the ability to hit out to 1200 yards. Thanks for the hunt CC. And the berrys you brought are great.

Yo Doc, I don't think he was hunting, I think he was sleeping... He probably needs some motrin and water.

Tree stand hunting doesn't sound very much like hunting, we don't do that very much out west.

Comment

• customcutter

Originally posted by GMinor View Post
        Yo Doc, I don't think he was hunting, I think he was sleeping... He probably needs some motrin and water.

Tree stand hunting doesn't sound very much like hunting, we don't do that very much out west.
        Nope, no sleeping until I got home at 10:30. If you learn where the game moves, what they are eating, watering and bedding down, it's easier to let them come to you. We don't get many shots at 100 yds or more around here. You'll have a hard time walking up with in 30-40 yds of game and not spooking it and running it off. I'd love to try spot and stalk, but it doesn't happen around here. It was a great day.

Clark, glad you liked the berries.

Comment

I got a couple of pictures of coming in a couple of days. One of a memorial turkey hunt; but no turkey, just a Grenel hog. And new one of an incredible monster snake...but I don't think snake boots would help you with this guy.

Comment

• customcutter

Just saw them in the hunting section. Another couple of good reasons to be up a tree!

Comment

• Fredman
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

About ten years ago I went to Buffalo WY. for a mule deer hunt, visit a buddy, and see if he could fill his elk tag.
              We had an in on a ranch. The owner said, walk out to the stack of hay and climb up. Pick out the one you want, and shoot.
              Being from VT, I thought ya right! Well, that is exactly what we did. And the next morning We went back and my buddy shot one.
              This is a true story told only to pick on GMinor. I honestly have never seen so much game at one time. There had to be at least 100 large game animals in sight. I can't even guess the hours I have spent in Vt in a tree stand without seeing even one deer.

Comment

• Vmaxed
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Fredman View Post
                About ten years ago I went to Buffalo WY. for a mule deer hunt, visit a buddy, and see if he could fill his elk tag.
                We had an in on a ranch. The owner said, walk out to the stack of hay and climb up. Pick out the one you want, and shoot.
                Being from VT, I thought ya right! Well, that is exactly what we did. And the next morning We went back and my buddy shot one.
                This is a true story told only to pick on GMinor. I honestly have never seen so much game at one time. There had to be at least 100 large game animals in sight. I can't even guess the hours I have spent in Vt in a tree stand without seeing even one deer.
                Living in Wyoming and hunting public land pretty much my entire life, I can tell you, your experience is the exception, not the norm.
                Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.

Comment

Working...
                X