pass thrus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
    Every time I read LaRue's story I wonder why he doesn't build a rifle around the 6.5 grendel... Maybe he does?
    I wonder the same thing. They would sell.

It kills better than my .270 did with 130 grain bullets. Grendel 120-129gr cup and core bullets seemed to penetrate better then the plastic tipped NBTs. Super premimum Barnes and Swift Sicorocco bullets penetrate best, but who needs >20 inches of penetration once your through a hogs side plate? Bang! Thump! Time after time.
    hm2 clark, could you elaborate on this some more?

Comment

Everyone is entitiled to my opinion, so I'll be glad to elaborate. I used to hunt with a .270. The 130 gr bullets (cup and core commercial) seemed more accurate, but the hogs/deer would just run farther then when I shot them with a 150gr bullet. Then I tried an old 6.5x55 using 140gr bullets and I thought I was in heaven. I was killing hogs like I was using my 338 06 using 210gr bullets! So I started handloading 6.5 bullets. I setteled on 120-130gr c&c bullets moving 2600fps as the best compromise between recoil and killing ablity. Waaay better (IMO)then .270 using commercial loads (It took a couple seasons and a couple hundred hogs to convince me.) I think the 6.5 140gr load was better then my 30 06 using 180gr loads. So, I got to thinking about my little CZ 527 and how easy it would be to reproduce those loads. And that's how I started out with a Grendel. I don't punch paper much anymore but I still hunt. I don't shoot as far as a lot of people on this forum,250 yard or less is all I need. So I concentrate on cheap hunting bullets that penetrate a boars side plate, travels straight through heavy shoulder bone expands well, and puts them on the ground. (I have had a few close encounters where the Grendel has (probably) save my life where I would I doubt a .270 would have). I love the Hornady 129gr Spire point. I got like 10K Remington 120gr PSPs and for my purposes, they are better then the premium Barnes bullets...because I don't need that kind of extra penetration and I'm too cheap to hoard that many premium bullets. Hope that story helps

Comment

I was raised on .270 Winchester, but it collects dust now. I take it out maybe once every 2 years to have some fun, but my 6.5's dominate my shooting schedule now.

Do you think the high velocity of the .270 is blowing up too much projectile on the surface, then only giving minimal compartment intrusion with minimal remaining projectile mass? Any recovered game comparisons that would confirm or deny the hypothesis?

I think a cup and core 130gr .270 Winchester is great when it hits game at about 300yds out, but close-in performance is usually explosive. I think the 140gr SST helps tame the .270's excessive muzzle velocity, while retaining energy and reach better than the 130gr Cor lokt as the distance increases.

I'm in the same boat as you though. I'd rather have the low-recoiling, easy-handling rifle with excellent SD pills. Nice that you are getting such good performance with the 129gr Spire Point. Have you had any experience with the 129gr SST by any chance?

Comment

I shot my first deer this year with my Grendel. A full size mature doe with Factory 123 grain A max's. I had 12 deer in front of me an was actually waiting on a 2.5 year old cow horn spike to clear the bunch to shoot him. I hear a grunt a snort and look over and the old nanny is stomping at me. I moved about 15 degrees left and shot her instead. Bullet hit her midway up the body behind the shoulder. She didn't even kick. Bullet entered a 6.5 caliber hole and exited about the size of a half dollar.. I am hooked!

Comment

I tried out some of the 129gr SSTs (maybe 100 to work up a load and 50 for hunting)I shot them in AR, an Encore and a CZ. At 100 yards those groups were just a tad(maybe 1/4") bigger then the 120 BT , 123 Amax 130 Accutips and 130 Siccoros. I could see little difference at the range I was shooting between Cup and core bullets and the plastic tipped ones. And on hogs (I only shot 2-3 deer a year) the 129 SST enter the nearside plate,then seem to expand and veer off at some angle, not always giving a complete pass through. The 129 Spire point seem to pass through the near plate, then expand while traveling in a straight line to the far side and stopping in the far side skin about half the time. Things probably change as the distance opens up, I suspect the SST would be a better choice out past 250 yards.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

The 129 sst, is a great choice- yet it is just ~okay on accuracy past 200y.~ I used it as a close in slugger for a while. Bullet performance was fine @ a 1 shot at 400 yds. here.
              Complete front leg removal was quite impressive.
              I'm sure the 123 sst will do close to same as.

Shoot a many different pills to see what works. This is not a round for a poor man =,not being mean at all.
              BTW, if you own a GRRRRR you need to have an extra piggy bank to fund the deal- to load the lil bugger. Plow forward as best you can , keep it rollin- the mighty Grrr needs a bigger crowd , gang! Its time to lite this round up- so the military can finally use this to save a many countries, etc.

It's easy to reload this round. It's easy to shoot this round. It's easy to Love this round! It's easy to get this round !v So many choices now.

Bill A made this set up just about perfect, he had a free moment to dial this round in as best he could , after Dialing in the Beowulf.
              Last edited by sneaky one; 03-01-2014, 04:14 AM.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                Warrior
                • May 2014

I almost hate to reply on this thread , I am relatively new to the forum and this thread is a little older. I have recently re tooled my daughters load for deer. I went from a Sierra 120 grain Prohunter , to a Hornady 129 grain spirepoint. The reason behind this being, from her 260 I was seeing a lot of meat damage that I felt was unnecessary. I wanted a little bit tougher bullet for deer. When she was 10 I loaded down the 260 to around 2500 fps with the same Sierra bullet and had excellent results with it, little meat wasted , and lots of dead deer. Seeing that sort of results from the downloaded 260 is what pointed me in the direction of the Grendel round. Long ago I used a 25-06 exclusively, loaded with a 120 grain Speer boat tail. I don't think I ever caught more than one or two bullets in deer. Most were pass throughs. I attributed this to SD, I started referring to the 120 grain bullets as "square bullets" that meaning the SD was equal to the diameter of the bullet. I try to stay close to square bullets with everything I shoot. I get good results with everything I load. I like a hole all the way through, it means they leak out faster. Thanks for your time.

Comment

• jawbone
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

great post, RF. as an aside, if your daughter, at age 10, is dropping deer with a 260, i wouldn't be surprised to hear that at age 18 she was taking deer with a pointed stick. looks to me like she's got a good Dad, too. and i'm sure you'll both love the easy shooting Grendel.

Comment

• Hattrick
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2014

Thanks for keeping the thread alive. Good times with the kids you won't ever regret it. My best times a field have been with my daughter starting vary young and now she's in college. I hope she remembers the good times and when she gets a little free time we can get out again. Anyway I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a grendel. Thinking of going with a Persicion Arms match grade with a 18" barrel

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                      Warrior
                      • May 2014

Thanks, no need in letting a pertinent thread go to waste. She loves to hunt, being a nurse now cuts into her hunting time tho. I am proud of my kids, they have turned out a lot better than I had a right to expect. Nothing like spending time with them hunting. My oldest daughter started going with me when she was 4. We carried coloring books and went early , she'd fall asleep from about 3:30 til I woke her up when the deer came out. She still gets all excited when she see's or shoots a deer. Every man should enjoy having their kids go with them. I have one that should be ready this season to start going , she is 4 and will be 5 in November. This should be fun. She will get a 6.5 Grendel for her 1 st rifle. I need an excuse to build one , she might as well be it, but I'm not planning on any more kids . Getting to old for that sort of stuff ya know .
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Hattrick
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2014

That's a pretty good reason right there. Starting kids young is the ticket in this day and electronic age.

Comment

Working...
                        X