X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Barrels and Chambers

The thread pertaining to possible chamber issues has become impossibly complex, and has wandered quite a bit. This thread shall serve as a continuation with a hopefully brief condensation of the previous thread.

The whole issue seems to have occurred because some members of a group barrel buy from Liberty barrels, a subsidiary of Satern Machining, found through their measurements that the chambers/throats appeared to be short. They were unable to chamber factory ammunition, most notably factory Hornady. Unfortunately, there is a wide variance in measurement tolerances and techniques, and even with some attempts at standardization, it is difficult to be sure if everyone uses a consistent method. The actual problem appears to be in the throat and the fix is modification of that area.

Satern was contacted, and they stated that their reamers were within proper SAAMI tolerances, and that they had contacted their reamer maker and were confident in their statements. They later published a statement on their website, which can be viewed here: http://saternmachining.com

It is their contention that the ammunition may be at fault from their statement.

Never the less, they agreed to check the barrels, and recut the chamber to make sure that the chambers could accept factory ammo of all types. As I understand it, owners were expected to pay shipping costs. The procedure, referred to as "scraping" would be performed at no cost. From all descriptions, this leaves a chamber closer to an LBC 264 chamber vs. the compound throat of the Grendel SAAMI chamber.

This left many people unsatisfied, as they desired the proper SAAMI chamber.

In light of this issue, multiple other chamber issues have been brought to light, and yesterday a member measured an AA chamber, and believes it may also be short throated. His measurement technique highlighted the difficulty in chamber measurements undertaken by multiple different members.

Bill Alexander responded by offering to review the barrel in question.

We have many respected barrel manufacturers building Grendel barrels at this point, some cut rifled, others button rifled.

We have had essentially 2 standards for chambers for several years, the Grendel SAAMI chamber, and the LBC 264. Both chambers easily digest factory ammunition, and properly hand loaded ammunition.

If you have a concern that your barrel is not cut to the specification you desire, you should have it inspected by a local, knowledgeable gunsmith, and if that is not satisfactory, you should return the barrel to the manufacturer, after consulting with them regarding the proper way to do so.

Debating and arguing on the forum is useless. It neither helps the offended member, nor helps resolve the situation through the manufacturer.

BEFORE bringing the issue here, PLEASE discuss it with the manufacturer or seller of the barrel.

IF you do not get satisfaction, then a simple, to the point explanation of the situation should be posted, should you feel the need.

We appreciate all our members and look forward to continuing to serve you!

Please feel free to post and correct my statements if there are errors above and I will make adjustments here as necessary.
    Last edited by bwaites; 02-25-2014, 05:40 PM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Lilja has confirmed that they are using the SAAMI chamber.And Mark Hostetter at Precision Firearms confirms that they are also.

We are using the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI spec reamers.

I know ours are the same as AA as we sent Dave the license from AA back when we needed it and he sent me the same reamer they send to AA. We reorder the same dimension reamer each time. I do have a 264 LBC reamer too but the throat is shorter and is .295
    instead of 300. The liberty barrel I have here is definitely shorter than either. I will try to take some pictures.

Obviously ours is correct as our barrels are definitely not short throated.
    I can easily see the taper on the throat portion of the reamer.
    Really this is the responsibly of the reamer manufacturer to make sure they
    are making the reamer to SAAMI specs unless the customer sends in a drawing
    requesting differently.
    Last edited by bwaites; 02-28-2014, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Reserved for History

Comment

• Walter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2013

It should be stated that the problem is with the throat. A go/no go gage will fit fine. It should also be stated that Mark at PF has stated that in the case of my liberty barrel the throat was short. Mark also said it could be fixed if the barrel was reamed again with a SAMMI spec Grendel reamer. (ie not a Grendel ll reamer.)
        Last edited by Walter; 02-25-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• FlatsFlite
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          Never the less, they agreed to check the barrels, and recut the chamber to make sure that the chambers could accept factory ammo of all types. As I understand it, owners were expected to pay shipping costs. The procedure, referred to as "scraping" would be performed at no cost.
          I sent both my barrel and bolt in for inspection. The barrel was scraped. And the bolt is being replaced because it was also out of spec. At no time was any other option offered or made available.

Shipping was approximately $18 to Satern and Satern charged a flat $20 for return shipping. The bolt will be shipped separately at no additional cost. My total cost to date is a little over $278.

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          From all descriptions, this leaves a chamber closer to an LBC 264 chamber vs. the compound throat of the Grendel SAAMI chamber. This left many people unsatisfied, as they desired the proper SAAMI chamber.
          I'm not sure what kind of chamber is going to show up at my door step any day now and yes, I am not thrilled with the solution.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

New information above.

Comment

Working...
            X