Lightweight Hunting Bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would a GMX weigh if it was the same dimensions as the hundred twenty-three grain SST?

Comment

99 - 105 grains depending on details of implementation.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2014, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

BFoot. The E tips loaded by Federal have grooves cut into the bullet , in house. I lit a match @ each end of the candle.

K 280, on the comparison- a 123 sst, would equate to a 104-108 Gmx. Dependant on tail choice. I have all 3 here. I'll post some pics on Fri. pm.

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          Nothin' wrong with the 120 gr TTSX -- it really penetrated in the gel tests. The only challenge is that the bullet won't go very far before it drops below the likely 2,000 fps threshold for reliable expansion.

Do you think he might be interested in the 123 gr SST? It should do well for even the biggest deer out to past 400 yards.

Yeah, I know it isn't a 'lightweight' bullet but sometimes other factors weigh in -- including those odd occasions when letting the Woukiee win is a prudent path!

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

BFoot. The E tips loaded by Federal have grooves cut into the bullet , in house. I lit a match @ each end of the candle.

K 280, on the comparison- a 123 sst, would equate to a 104-108 Gmx. Dependant on tail choice. I have all 3 here. I'll post some pics on Fri. pm.

Comment

I really like the 105 class in the gmx pills sneaky sent me, not sure how close the profile is to the 123 SST, but they are nice.

As far as the 108 scenar profile in mono dress, it's a really slick profile, and shoots well, I'd like to see the down range projections if anyone has them mocked up. I bet it would penetrate. I had 5 penetrate ballistic glass at 380 yards.

The idea that really sticks with me though is the profile of the SST/Amax, as they shoot insanely tight groups in my rifle. My first SST load shot moa or less at 400, so the combination of the SST profile and the 104-110 weight really makes the wheels start turning. I know the current gmx at 105 holds up from 80 -230 yards, can't remember mv, somewhere in the 2750 range I think. Have to look back.

Let's keep this going! Great ideas!

Richard

Comment

Found an article today on improving the 6.5mm Scenar (139) by trimming the meplat back. It still doesn't blow up.

And I like the way this meplat trimmer also turns the HP into a cone. After this you could drill increasingly larger holes in the 108 until you find the HP diameter that works for your application.

6mmBR.com is the best guide for 6mm BR Benchrest precision shooting, complete with 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Shooter Message Boards, Reader Polls, and Photo Gallery. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Equipment reviews (.243 bullets, 30BR cartridge, 6mm Norma Improved, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, 1000yd ranges, ballistics, component sales, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I'll try to find time to post a something cool on this Sat.
                  Too many things happening now for me to stay current, always. I'll explain as the item- and ??? pops up.
                  I search for the best for us all.

Comment

Working...
                  X