• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

Group Buy Lilja Reloading Document

I didn't see a thread about this yet. And since we have so many people that bought into the Lilja group buy, that Cory graciously set up and worked on for us. I thought it prudent that since Lilja barrels were so close in spec that we might make a thread about reloading for these barrels specifically.

Cory's post about max COAL/OAL
    The first thing I did once I unwrapped my barrels(on once I left my trance) was measure the max OAL for all the bullets I have that I'll be reloading these barrels with. I'm betting I'm not the only one that has done this. I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread with this information for those that bought one of

Include Items

Barrel Type- (Example: Lilja 319, Lilja 318, Lilja AR24, ect.)
    Barrel Length-
    Barrel Twist-
    Case Trim length-
    Primer Type-
    Brass used - (hornady, lapua, wolf, ect.)
    Bullet Type/Ballistic Coefficient <Specify g1 or g7>-
    Bullet seating depth- (Add Jump to lands if you have that information)
    Powder Used- (Start Load) (Max Load)
    Velocity- (Start Load) (Max Load) <Suppressed or not/type of suppressor>

Shots Fired/Group Size/Yards -(Example: 5/.4"/100) <See Post 4 from JASmith for Directions in calculating Group Size)
    <http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post89466>

Weather Conditions::
    Altitude-
    Temperature-
    Wind/(Direction of wind in relation to your shooting)-
    Barometric Pressure-
    Humidity -
    Results- (With Photos if you have them)

And a written summery if you have one.

If I've left anything out let me know and I'll update the main page.

If we get enough info myself or someone else can create a spread sheet that can be downloaded/viewed more easily and posted at the top.
    Last edited by Kikn; 03-14-2014, 07:22 AM.
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

Reserved for common strands of information and specifications that are similar to give common starting and reference points.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Thanks for starting this Kikn. I emailed everyone a link to this that bought a barrel.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Can you include an optional block for group size and number of shots that went into the group along with the range? Group size is the largest center-center spacing in the group. Can get the center to center by measuring outside to outside and subtracting .264" Weather conditions might also help.

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

Awesome that will get things going.

Originally posted by cory View Post
          Thanks for starting this Kikn. I emailed everyone a link to this that bought a barrel.

Changes Made.

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          Can you include an optional block for group size and number of shots that went into the group along with the range? Group size is the largest center-center spacing in the group. Can get the center to center by measuring outside to outside and subtracting .264" Weather conditions might also help.
          Last edited by Kikn; 03-07-2014, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• Kikn
            Warrior
            • Nov 2011

Just started on my first reloads

Lilja - 319 barrel 1/8 twist

Primers - WSR

Brass - hornady

Powder -- Hogdens IMR8208XBR
            bullets-- Hornady 123SST & 123 NOSLER custom competition

Brass Trimmed to 1.518 +/- .002
            COL 123SST -- 2.27/-.005
            COL 123 CC -- 2.26 /-.005

Jump - .01-.015

Loads 27.0 - 28.0 (.2 gr. Incriments )

Hopefully I can find time to go shoot in the next couple of weeks. I will update this post and link back to it when completed.
            Last edited by Kikn; 03-14-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Kikn View Post

bullets-- Hornady 123SST

Coal 1.518 +/- .002
              OAL 123SST -- 2.27/-.005
              OAL 123 CC -- 2.26 /-.005
              I finally got time to measure my COAL on about 7 projectiles with 4 different barrel manufactures. The Hornady SST 123gr in my Lilja read 1.768 which is more in line with Cory's #'s.
              The question I have is if your loading these to 1.518, is that considered a lot of jump to the lands? Will these barrels be as accurate with that much jump?

When measuring these projectiles for the Lilja Barrel the cannelure is well forward of the case end so it seems as if they will need set backward like your doing. I also noticed the 2nd cannelure on the Barnes TTSX and TSX 120gr pills is exposed. Is that an issue?

Will there be an issue of too much jump or free bore because the Lilja has a + difference in COAL of .009 to .078 than my AA barrel and .059 to .108 than my Liberty depending on projectiles. On average of my 7 projectiles, that is more than .054 more than my AA Barrel, which lets factory 123gr A-max, SST and AA Scenro 123 ammo fall out fine after being locked in with a bolt.

Measured: SST-123gr, SST-129gr, SST-120, V-Max-95gr, Sierra Spitzer-120gr, Barnes TTSX & TSX-120gr

Comment

• Tedward
                Banned
                • Feb 2013

bullets-- Hornady 123SST

Coal 1.518 +/- .002
                OAL 123SST -- 2.27/-.005
                OAL 123 CC -- 2.26 /-.005

Jump - .01-.015
                How can the jump be so little if the COAL to the lands is like mine and Corys measurements which is around 1.768 to 1.765? That seems to me it would be .248 jump unless I'm just not getting this....
                Just looking for explanation to learn.

Comment

• Kikn
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2011

Its possible that I am misunderstanding the term/acronym and am listing it incorrectly.

My CAOL listed is the length my Brass is trimmed to.
                  My OAL is the total length from the bottom of the case to the tip of the projectile.

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Its possible that I am misunderstanding the term/acronym and am listing it incorrectly.

My CAOL listed is the length my Brass is trimmed to. Trim to length
                    My OAL is the total length from the bottom of the case to the tip of the projectile. COL
                    I put the correct terminology for you in red in the quote. COL is the correct term for the end to end length of your loaded ammo. OAL is the length from the primer end of the brass to the ogive of the bullet. You'll need a hornady or forster comparator to measure that.

I apologize as this is in large part my fault.

This is a thread for reloading data. There's a thread dedicated to the OAL/COL of these barrels. Let's move this conversation there, please.

Let's try to keep this thread on track.
                    Last edited by cory; 03-14-2014, 04:01 PM.
                    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Tedward
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
                      I put the correct terminology for you in red in the quote. COL is the correct term for the end to end length of your loaded ammo. OAL is the length from the primer end of the brass to the ogive of the bullet. You'll need a hornady or forster comparator to measure that.

I apologize as this is in large part my fault.

This is a thread for reloading data. There's a thread dedicated to the OAL/COL of these barrels. Let's move this conversation there, please.

Let's try to keep this thread on track.
                      I will go to the other Thread but I thought, still confused apparently, OAL is from end of case to the tip of the bullet. COAL is when your using the comparator and is the Comparator Over All Length (COAL). Thats what I understand from Hornady.

The OAL will be longer than the COAL, COAL measures I thought were from the Ogive to case end. Now if I'm wrong please forgive me and all of these measuring techniques really need a sticky.
                      Last edited by Tedward; 03-14-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Definitions of cartridge lengths and component lengths:

COL: Cartridge Overall Length
                        COAL: Cartridge OverAll Length (same as above)
                        OAL: Overall Length (same thing again)

Hogdon uses C.O.L.
                        Speer uses COAL
                        LEE uses OAL
                        Lyman uses OAL
                        Hornady uses C.O.L.
                        Sierra uses C.O.A.L.
                        Lapua uses C.O.L.

Case length: length of the case only
                        Projectile length: length of the projectile base to tip

Ogive length varies with manufacturing. Comparator gauges can be used for determining distance to the lands, but there will be variance, especially with secant and VLD pills.

Hornady has no such reference to COAL that indicates a comparator. Look through any Hornady Reloading Manual and find a reference to that. COAL = COL.

Comment

• Tedward
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          Definitions of cartridge lengths and component lengths:

COL: Cartridge Overall Length
                          COAL: Cartridge OverAll Length (same as above)
                          OAL: Overall Length (same thing again)

Hogdon uses C.O.L.
                          Speer uses COAL
                          LEE uses OAL
                          Lyman uses OAL
                          Hornady uses C.O.L.
                          Sierra uses C.O.A.L.
                          Lapua uses C.O.L.

Case length: length of the case only
                          Projectile length: length of the projectile base to tip

Ogive length varies with manufacturing. Comparator gauges can be used for determining distance to the lands, but there will be variance, especially with secant and VLD pills.

Hornady has no such reference to COAL that indicates a comparator. Look through any Hornady Reloading Manual and find a reference to that. COAL = COL.
                          Ok Getting confusing info here and just read this link. Just added another acronym for measuring and hope this gets rid of some of the confusion. CBTO (Cartridge Base to Ogive) Some peoples measurements are listed as OAL when they are CBTO.
                          Cartridge Base To Ogive (CBTO) The first half of this article focused on the importance of COAL in terms of SAAMI standards, magazine lengths, etc.  There is another measure of length for loaded ammunition which is highly important to precision.
                          Last edited by Tedward; 03-14-2014, 07:31 PM. Reason: typo, reword

Comment

• Tedward
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2013

So another question is if the compounded throat for the Grendel measures different CBTO from every manufacture, Liberty, Lilja, AA, Brownells and so on, and the Ogive is all over the place, this is making factory ammo have to jump to the lands. I have different CBTO measurements on every one of these barrels. The Lilja has the longest CBOT out of all of them (SST's 1.768). The AA Barrel I have and Liberty are only .036 difference on the SST123's (AA 1.694 & Liberty 1.668).

Who is doing SAAMI???

Comment

• pds
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2012

My guess would be due to the different reamers used to cut the chambers. A brand new reamer may be ground to the +0.002" side to the SAAMI spec in the throat portion and would still be within spec. Then have another reamer that is well used and is now 0.000" to -0.001" in the throat and needs to be reground. Just a guess on my part.

pds

Comment

Working...
                              X