• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Best Combat Optics

For a 6.5 Grendel carbine, which optical sight do you think is best suited for engagement distances which vary from CQB to 600 meters or more? Please give the reason(s) for your choice.

Elcan 1.5-6x Specter DR is nice. The dot is bright enough for CQM/CQB, and the glass and reticle are great for distance.

For longer distances, I would go with higher magnification in a compact tube, like the NightForce 2.5-10x24.

Comment

• cst
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

there is no such animal that will do everything perfectly... depends on your budget too... I'd get the NF 2-10 and mount a mini redot like Dr.optic\trijicon at 45degrees.2x will do great for fast 50 to 150 yards. the 10 would be great for target ID and less than Minute of man sized targets out past 600. the mini reds wont be as fast as a full size red dot but practice makes perfect.

If u can only get one...look at the Vortex 1-6x razor....but I dont think its bright enough in daylight....I wish Trijicon would make the 1-4 accupoint with 1-8 with the same bright fiber optic with tactical turrets....I guess thats what the Vcog is for

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Stanc are we talking about for your basic grunt, a DMR, or for a SHTF weapon.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The 1-6x24 Razor HD has a more than daylight visible red dot. With the new reticles, I would throw it in there too with the VMR-2 MRAD reticle:

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

I just got the Razor Gen II 1-6x24 MRAD from Scott at Liberty Optics in the last week for my 16" Lilja I'm building. I assure you the dot is plenty visible on a bright day. I'll post pictures when I get some range time with it.

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
              Stanc are we talking about for your basic grunt, a DMR, or for a SHTF weapon.
              As per currently for US Army infantry riflemen armed with M4A1 carbine.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

A corollary to this question is: Is there any reason US GIs can't have a one-power red dot in something like a compact ACOG, and then, with the flick of a lever or the twist of an eyepiece cup, zoom to 4x for longer range? I'm not an infantryman so don't have firsthand knowledge of what's required, but having an extra red dot mounted on a variable main scope seems clumsy.

Is it possible to have one optic?

John
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                  A corollary to this question is: Is there any reason US GIs can't have a one-power red dot in something like a compact ACOG, and then, with the flick of a lever or the twist of an eyepiece cup, zoom to 4x for longer range? I'm not an infantryman so don't have firsthand knowledge of what's required, but having an extra red dot mounted on a variable main scope seems clumsy.

Is it possible to have one optic?

John
                  You mean like this?

Already standard in SOPMOD Block II program. Has been for several years already.

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

I'm not a big fan of eotech after there recent practices of confiscating military surplus optics. However, I think the HHS I could be the best option for an optic for a Marine Grunt carrying an M4 Grendel. That being said I'd like to see them develop a 6x or 5x magnifier.

The ability to rapidly switch between 1x and 6x with little effort and the ability to have flip up iron sights ready within seconds if a malfunction of the exps3 occurs is very appealing.

I'm with lrrpf52 on the nF 2.5-10x24 or maybe the new x42 for the DMR.

Comment

For Joe tentpeg in an AOR with average engagement distances well within 300m, Eotech or Aimpoint is all that is needed on a carbine.

Switch the AOR to mountainous terrain, desert foothills, or any terrain where average distances are over 300m, and then we drop in a heavier ratio of magnified optics or variable power on the carbines.

DM's need magnified optics in both AOR's, with the 1-6x, 1-8x, and 2.5-10x scopes being preferred. All magnified optics should have a Mil reticle or scale in them to get everyone in the Team, Squad, and Platoon on the same sheet of music when communicating target location and corrections for shot placement to each other.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2014, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

What I've understood about variable optics that start with 1x is that the Binden concept (both eyes open, red dot from a 4x optic is superimposed onto the field of vision) is better in theory than in practice, particularly at short range panic mode clearing buildings and rooms.

So I've assumed that guys don't necessarily like having a 1x in a tube-type optic, but prefer to reserve them for EOTech's and such. But then one has to add the zoom-power magnifier which, again, seems like a clumsy solution.

John
                        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          You mean like this?

Already standard in SOPMOD Block II program. Has been for several years already.
                          Is that the Elcan 1.5-6x Specter DR you mentioned in your first post?

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                            What I've understood about variable optics that start with 1x is that the Binden concept (both eyes open, red dot from a 4x optic is superimposed onto the field of vision) is better in theory than in practice, particularly at short range panic mode clearing buildings and rooms.

So I've assumed that guys don't necessarily like having a 1x in a tube-type optic, but prefer to reserve them for EOTech's and such. But then one has to add the zoom-power magnifier which, again, seems like a clumsy solution.

John
                            I've owned an exps2 with magnifier (the gen before the latest), I felt like the magnifier operation was very smooth. I sold it intending to buy the HHS I, but ended up getting a good deal on an ACOG TA31F. That and the engineer/prepper in me didn't like being reliant on an electronic/batteries for a long term optic.

If eotech or anyone would develop a 5x or 6x magnifier with a milspec ranging reticle for the eotech's I'd sell this acog in pick that up in a second.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2011

pf15@pf15.com for special pricing.
                              "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                              X