Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

I'm no soldier, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn once!

3Gun games, which are probably as close as you can get to the abuse any soldiers optic will get, show that the variables have an advantage.

Then it come down to just what reticle works the best in a given situation. I'm waiting for someone to give us a good 2nd Focal plane reticle that is effective at longer ranges for estimating distance, with a usable short range dot or circle reticle. If the reticle was calibrated to give us point blank to 2-300 yards, and then hashed to give us 300-600 ranges, it would be ideal in my mind.

I've seen and played with the new Steiner, Kahles, Vortex, Leupold, Bushnell, and IOR options, and each has some great ideas, but none are ideal to me. None of the more expensive models have enough advantage to make me sell my Vortex 1-6 yet.

The Kahles has a very interesting reticle, but its still not perfect from my viewpoint.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
      ...I've assumed that guys don't necessarily like having a 1x in a tube-type optic, but prefer to reserve them for EOTech's and such. But then one has to add the zoom-power magnifier which, again, seems like a clumsy solution.
      I came across this video, which at least partially addresses your concerns. Background music is annoying, but I found the comparison testing informative.

Comment

Originally posted by stanc View Post
        Is that the Elcan 1.5-6x Specter DR you mentioned in your first post?
        That's the 1-4x. It has a lever on the side that switches from 1-4x when you throw it.

The 1x magnification is very usable, and quality tubes have very little FOV distortion. Combined with a daylight visible red dot, and you have a combo RDS/magnified optic that works in both roles well.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          For Joe tentpeg in an AOR with average engagement distances well within 300m, Eotech or Aimpoint is all that is needed on a carbine.

Switch the AOR to mountainous terrain, desert foothills, or any terrain where average distances are over 300m, and then we drop in a heavier ratio of magnified optics or variable power on the carbines.
          Once upon a time I tried shooting my Steyr AUG at a steel plate of about 18" diameter, distance ~400 meters (a quarter mile, as measured on the odometer of my 4x4). I didn't expect much from the 1.5X sight with its donut reticle, but I actually hit the target with three out of three shots.

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Elcan 1.5-6x Specter DR is nice. The dot is bright enough for CQM/CQB, and the glass and reticle are great for distance.

The features do look good, but weight is listed as 700 grams. If I converted correctly, that's nearly three pounds. Seems pretty heavy.

Comment

Glass quality trumps magnification, but 400 meters is iron sight territory as well. For the Special Operations Target Interdiction Course POI, the first block of marksmanship training was shooting with the Palma sights on the M24 at...400m. If you couldn't group within 1.5 MOA, you would get some more one-on-one training to fix it. I was surprised at how well I could group with irons and that rifle with M118.

Eotechs are popular on carbines in SOF units because of profile, FOV, and such a small aiming point in the center of the reticle. Clip-on magnifier units are a no-go from an infantryman perspective because of the snag hazard factor, at least for me.

One little optic I like is the 1-4x GRSC, but it does not have daylight visible illumination by any stretch of the imagination. The reticle is great though.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

1 kg = 2.2lb = 1000g

700 grams = 1.54lbs
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

.. Clip-on magnifier units are a no-go from an infantryman perspective because of the snag hazard factor, at least for me...
                  Valid point. However, if I'm running a 1-x optic, I'm likely running 45 degree offset iron sights or maybe an rmr. The 45 degree front sight seems like it'd present more or equal snag hazard than the clip on magnifier.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by cory View Post
                    Valid point. However, if I'm running a 1-x optic, I'm likely running 45 degree offset iron sights or maybe an rmr. The 45 degree front sight seems like it'd present more or equal snag hazard than the clip on magnifier.
                    Of course you can spend the three bills and get one of those flip out 45 deg can't irons.

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                      1 kg = 2.2lb = 1000g

700 grams = 1.54lbs
                      Thanks. I thought I had to be doing the conversion wrong. Somehow I latched onto 15.43 grams = 1 ounce.

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                        Of course you can spend the three bills and get one of those flip out 45 deg can't irons.
                        At the moment I'm running magpul buis on a couple weaver 45 degree offset mounts. Just over $100. Now I would prefer the $260 diamondhead 45 degree offset sights.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                          The features do look good, but weight is listed as 700 grams. If I converted correctly, that's nearly three pounds. Seems pretty heavy.
                          700 grams is closer to 1.5 pounds, but still substantial.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                            I have several cant mounts that I have flirted with the idea of throwing a red-dot on. But yhea, for me the diamond ones for me are CAN'T irons. : ) Even if I won the Warren Buffet March Madness billion dollar sweepstakes I am still not sure that would be what I would prefer, but for me the snag issue is unlikely to ever be of life or death significance.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

You could get a 4x Acog with the DR. sight on top.

I wouldn't say this is optimal since the DR is mounted so high up but it will get the job done.

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

One little optic I like is the 1-4x GRSC...
                                Discontinued. http://www.grscinc.com/crs.html

Comment

Working...
                                X