X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I tried flip magnifiers, and I didn't like them. I tried Dr. Optic dots on top, side, and canted. I didn't like them either. I'd try the Elcan Specter in a heartbeat if I could afford it, but I can't.

I have aimpoints on a bunch of stuff, but use two Acogs on GP guns. I have Nightforces on long range stuff.

If I had to live with one general purpose carbine, I'd keep my M150 for now. If I had the scratch I'd jump to the Elcan though.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• usmc1371
      Warrior
      • Aug 2011

I have the grms scope. Very bright for daytime. Retical works for my 7.62 NATO out to 600.

Comment

• usmc1371
        Warrior
        • Aug 2011

Grsc scope. Can't type.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

I took my TA31f to the range this last saturday and forgot my duct tape. The chevron was so bright that it covered up my 2" orange targets at 200 yards.

The ACOGs are a great compromise all around, but I think we can do better.

Eventually, I'm going to pick up an HHS I and do a direct side by side comparison.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• waveslayer
            Warrior
            • Jan 2013

How about the VCOG?

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post
              How about the VCOG?
              I started to get excited (especially with a single AA batt), but then the price smashed me in the face. It doesn't even have fiber illum. If I had that kind of scratch, I'd just suck it up and get the Elcan.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                I took my TA31f to the range this last saturday and forgot my duct tape. The chevron was so bright that it covered up my 2" orange targets at 200 yards.

Eventually, I'm going to pick up an HHS I and do a direct side by side comparison.
                I agree. I keep waiting for someone to find a way around Elcans patents (I'm guessing that's the roadblock) and offer something very similar to the SpecterDR, but at a price that us mere mortals could afford. I can't glass a whole rack of boomsticks at these insane price levels. Surely somebody can come up with something equivalent eventually?

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Glass quality trumps magnification, but 400 meters is iron sight territory as well. For the Special Operations Target Interdiction Course POI, the first block of marksmanship training was shooting with the Palma sights on the M24 at...400m. If you couldn't group within 1.5 MOA, you would get some more one-on-one training to fix it. I was surprised at how well I could group with irons and that rifle with M118.

Eotechs are popular on carbines in SOF units because of profile, FOV, and such a small aiming point in the center of the reticle. Clip-on magnifier units are a no-go from an infantryman perspective because of the snag hazard factor, at least for me.

One little optic I like is the 1-4x GRSC, but it does not have daylight visible illumination by any stretch of the imagination. The reticle is great though.
                  Have you heard anything more about the Minox 1-8X you mentioned after SHOT? You piqued my interest on that one. It'll probably be out of my price range, but I can dream I guess.

Comment

• babue
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post

Check out the Browe Combat Optic if you are looking for an improvement on the ACOG. It measures the light at
                    the target and adjusts the brightness of it's chevron or crosshairs so you have the correct brightness and do not wash out your aiming point.
                    About the same cost as the ACOG. I am really thinking about getting one for my FS2000. I am looking at
                    something like a 2-8 or 2-10 for my next Grendel. I like the FS2000 for my CQB or house gun and the Grendel will be more a DMR.

Shop now for premium quality optical systems and tactical equipment for military, law enforcement, shooting and hunting enthusiast around the world. BROWE INC produces and distributes optical and tactical solutions for defense, industrial, and commercial applications. These systems include industry-leading combat and tactical riflescopes, red dot sights, iron sights, tactical accessories, and equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                      Have you heard anything more about the Minox 1-8X you mentioned after SHOT? You piqued my interest on that one. It'll probably be out of my price range, but I can dream I guess.
                      I don't remember mentioning anything about Minox. Must have been someone else.

I didn't get to look at much in terms of optics at this year's SHOT. I had a lot of appointments with people on things related to Grendel.

My biggest issues with ACOG's are the eye relief, way too short, and exit pupil, way too small. They make great robust scopes for soldiers for general issue that take a beating, but are not preferred by trained shooters when the option of a variable power is there.

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by babue View Post
                        Check out the Browe Combat Optic if you are looking for an improvement on the ACOG. It measures the light at
                        the target and adjusts the brightness of it's chevron or crosshairs so you have the correct brightness and do not wash out your aiming point.
                        About the same cost as the ACOG. I am really thinking about getting one for my FS2000. I am looking at
                        something like a 2-8 or 2-10 for my next Grendel. I like the FS2000 for my CQB or house gun and the Grendel will be more a DMR.

http://www.browe-inc.com/categories/...tic-%28BCO%29/
                        Interesting, but I'd never pay that for these type of optics. For that price I can buy another Razor 1-6x or a little more I can get the NF 2.5-10x42. I got my ACOG in a barter where I was out of pocket $600 in cash. $600 is right about what I think these type of optics are worth, based on what else is available in the market.

Comment

That Browe is from a guy who worked at Tricon for 16 years as director of operations:

BROWE, Inc was founded in 2009 by Brian K. Browe, former Director of Operations of Trijicon, Inc. Mr. Browe has over 16 years experience in manufacturing combat and tactical optics with extensive experience in all aspects of the business. BROWE, Inc. was founded on a simple idea of building the ultimate combat optic. Two years of extensive research and development resulted in the 4x32 BROWE Combat Optic.
                          At first I was wondering how they are getting away with knocking off ACOG's, but it looks like there is more to the story.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Originally posted by babue View Post

http://www.browe-inc.com/categories/...tic-%28BCO%29/
                            That looks pretty neat, the housing is made out of Ti too.

edit---For this price range I'd rather get a nightforce compact.
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Looks like eye relief is very short, the way Rob Pincus has it set up.

Comment

• cory
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2012

I'm going to be interested to see what the reliability is for all these electronics on the browe, particularly the sensor that adjusts the brightness of the chevron.

Comment

Working...
                                X