Denmark Selects M60E6 over HK121 for new GPMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denmark Selects M60E6 over HK121 for new GPMG

Janes | The latest defence and security news from Janes - the trusted source for defence intelligence

The M60E6 is the latest generation of the M60, first adopted by the US Army in 1957. The US weapon was selected over the Heckler & Koch HK121 I ('Infanterie'), a squad support variant of the German HK121 general purpose machine gun, following a trial programme.

The delivery of the first M60E6 MGs, to be called LMG m/14 in Danish service, is expected by the end of 2014.
    I would have never guessed that to be the outcome. Kind of a shocker, really.
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

Maybe they just want an open bolt full auto only set up I can't think of any other reason to pick the 60 over 121
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

They must have had one product improved M60, WOW!

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

The M60E6 was chosen for the benefits it holds over the current M/62 MG3 which has been in use with the Danish Army since 1962:

- Weighs 9.35 kg, approx. 3 kg lighter than the M/62, with better weight distribution
        - Better control of alternative shot positions, such as kneeling and standing
        - Lower ROF of 550 RPM when compared with the M/62′s 1200 RPM, which improves shooter accuracy, reduces ammunition consumption, and significantly minimizes the risk of collateral damage
        - Single shot capability
        - Reduced recoil
        - Picatinny rails allows for the addition of accessories such as tactical lights, lasers, etc.
        - Stable adjustable stand
        - Fast barrel change is possible without the use of gloves

Approximately 700 LMGs have been purchased, which are scheduled for delivery starting late 2014.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/03/11...ement-program/

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Looks like a big improvement, thanks for posting stanc.

Comment

Working...
          X