Opinion on ProChrono?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on ProChrono?

Midway has this chronograph for sale. Would you buy this or some other unit? And by other unit I want to stay in this price range.

For that price range, I wouldn't expect much. Economy Optical chronographs are temperamental at best. The headache incurred with them isn't worth the low entry cost, but they are better than nothing.

Oehler has been the gold standard for optical chronographs, but they are substantially more money. The Magnetospeed chronograph uses a different approach to showing velocity, as do some of the newer instruments. I'm personally looking at LabRadar.

When shooting over optical sensor chronographs, you have to have ideal lighting conditions, or create them artificially, and have perfect alignment of the bullet over the optical windows on the base unit. You will get different error codes if the bullet only passes over one sensor, or no sensors, for example, which can be frustrating when doing charge weight specific load development.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

+1

I can't say why, but my Shooting Chrony will also occasionally read an odd number if the shooter on the adjacent lane is popping off a large magnum caliber. Very annoying, since it often overwrites the reading I had not yet recorded. (No, I do not have a printer, and mine does not allow me to scroll.) This is clearly part of the risk of going with low cost equipment. The LabRadar is definitely on my radar, once they go into production.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• acourvil
        Warrior
        • Dec 2013

I have a ProChrono, previously had a Shooting Chrony. They can be sensitive to lighting, but the Pro Chrono is MUCH better than the Shooting Chrony. Far fewer errors.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

+1 for '52's' LabRadar... I've got my eye out for that.

Just thought I'd share this for a laugh. The LCD screen from my first chronograph.

I keep it as a memento... It reminds me to pay attention.

Don't think I could get a more accurate shot if I tried!

Comment

• Torf
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2014

Quite frankly, it is one of the better choices in that price range. I have found that it isn't too finicky about lighting. Only occasionally does it miss a shot, and that's when the light is iffy to begin with.

I like the fact that I can click the unit off and review the strings later and record them into my load development spreadsheets.

It's lightweight, so on windy days with skyscreens installed, it can blow over, especially when on unstable ground.

Good unit for the price. If you have trouble with one, send it back and they should take care of you.

Comment

• babue
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

I got a ProChrono last fall to replace the PACT chrono that died. It has been excellent much better than the PACT. I am sure there are better but more expensive options but for the money the ProChrono has been well worth buying.
              Short rant on the PACT, they claim to have a life time warranty but would not fix mine because it was to old and there offer to buy a new one directly from them was more than I could buy one retail. Terrible customer service and attitude. Feel better now, those people really pissed me off.

Comment

Working...
              X