500lb hog kill Just on the local news, Picture with the rifle and all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanprophet

500lb hog kill Just on the local news, Picture with the rifle and all!

I love modern sporting rifles, Then more they are associated with hunting the better.

This is about 30 miles from the farm, we already have some sporatic sightings in and around the field. I saw some scat and some rooting marks last spring, but nothing during the summer when the soy was growing. Just a matter of time and I will have the Grendel on them!
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

Now that is a big hog!!! Makin Bacon!! BANG BANG!!!

Comment

• stanprophet

Originally posted by Slappy View Post
      Now that is a big hog!!! Makin Bacon!! BANG BANG!!!
      Coming from someone in Texas that says a lot. We all know the Hogs down there are big. We use to get some big Hogs out in California, now they are moving into VA. Its kind of a situation where it is exciting, but sad at the same time. Destructive species that is almost impossible to eradicate. Good thing there are a lot of hunters in VA.

Comment

• explorecaves

I know in Missouri, they are saying you have to cull 60% just to stay even with the population….

Comment

• Hattrick
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2014

Good job Man! Lets hear a little about the shot? Pass thru? broadside? head Shot?

Comment

• 81police
            Warrior
            • Feb 2013

In our part of Texas feral hogs truly in the 400-500lbs+ range are anamolies. Article says hog may have been 6-8 years old, that's certainly a very mature boar indeed.

What a great boar, stubby legs, broad shoulders, and some fine pearls sticking out his face!

Thanks for posting
            Last edited by 81police; 03-13-2014, 02:20 AM.
            John 11:25-26

Comment

• justified
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2011

Hey Stan, you're just down the road. I saw the story. It looked like he had a night vision sight on the rifle.

I used to live in GA and they killed a much bigger hog about 20 miles from my house. http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=1017

-Dave

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

That's only ~20 miles from me (although on the other side of a river). No hogs in my area (yet).
                Drifter

Comment

• wheelguner
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2011

Hear is a link to Wiki on a GA hog they called Hogzilla:

We do seem to grow em big here. Every time I think pigs I remember my first GA pig hunt. I was on a fishing trip on a friends farm in Mitchel County, GA when a friend of my host stopped by and asked if we wanted to help him kill some pigs. I didn't have a rifle with me and he said no problem, he had a loaner. It was a really nice looking M1 Carbine and I took the spot he pointed out and settled down with my back against a pine about a foot in diameter and covered up with my poncho liner to wait. Just about 30 min before full dark a good sized red and a BIG black came ambling along through the corn field that had been recently turned over. The red stopped and started rooting at about 75yds and the black came to about 50yds and started rooting. I waited until he was just turned a bit away and eased that carbine up and took aim thinking this was a big boy and I had a great shot.......click. That seemed to me the loudest sound in the world. Lots of things happened in a short time. The pig came at me in rush, I slung that damned carbine and managed to grab a limb and set a personal best for tree climbing. I stopped climbing at the first branch that I thought would hold me and watched that pig debark that tree as far as he could reach. My host came along in his truck, the pig departed and said host and my best friend were enjoying themselves way too much. Learned a lot from that....never, never, never hunt with a borrowed gun that I haven't fired. Pigs are VERY fast and ill tempered. I can still shinney up a tree then like I did as a kid. Once back on the ground and looking at the limb that I grabbed there was no way I could reach that limb unless powered by adrenalin and the sounds coming from that pig. Figured the horde could use a chuckle.

Comment

• bluebird
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2013

Nice Hog!

Comment

Working...
                    X