Warrior
    • Nov 2011

319 lilja test day failure

Attached Files
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Not bad...

Are you sure you set the shoulder back enough on your brass?...I had that issue early on in my Grendel reloading.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Pretty dang good for rapid fire at 200! But live and learn, huh?

John
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Kikn
        Warrior
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
        Not bad...

Are you sure you set the shoulder back enough on your brass?...I had that issue early on in my Grendel reloading.
        Its hard to say. I sized and put primers in so long ago. I did grab a few and put them in the 65 Grendel ammunition guage. And they fit in easily.

I don't have any gauges to measure with. I'll have to wait until I get back home before I can measure any thing.

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
        Pretty dang good for rapid fire at 200! But live and learn, huh?

John
        Im happy with the results.

It seems like you never stop learning even when you try and resist.... lol
        Last edited by Kikn; 03-22-2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Did you size based upon a different rifle?...I always make a dummy round (no primer or powder) and chamber to check for correct sizing and bullet depth...a comparator gauge is always a nice to have
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Bummer! I have had days like that too, but your last group made up for a lot of the hassle!

Have you looked at the possibility of using a chamber gauge that will let you see how things come together in your chamber?

I got one from Bulberry Barrel Works to go with the Encore they put together for me: http://www.bullberry.com/reloading_supplies.html .

Their price is $65.00 and the gauge is cut with a minimum spec Manson reamer, so it should be good for SAAMI-compliant chambers. Of course the ideal thing is for your barrel maker to cut one using the same reamer as was used for your chamber, but using a tight gauge gives one a bit of margin.

Comment

• Kikn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
              Did you size based upon a different rifle?...I always make a dummy round (no primer or powder) and chamber to check for correct sizing and bullet depth...a comparator gauge is always a nice to have
              It was trimmed for my other 16" barrel. But it is well within SAMMI spec.

Before I started to reload I had made a dummy round up and spent a good hour or two trying to get the right bullet depth correct with both rounds. I used a black marker method to get my OAL.

I do have an OAL gauge that I bought but I need to buy or make a shell for it for the 6.5 been. Before I can use it.

Comment

• Kikn
                Warrior
                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                Bummer! I have had days like that too, but your last group made up for a lot of the hassle!

Have you looked at the possibility of using a chamber gauge that will let you see how things come together in your chamber?

I got one from Bulberry Barrel Works to go with the Encore they put together for me: http://www.bullberry.com/reloading_supplies.html .

Their price is $65.00 and the gauge is cut with a minimum spec Manson reamer, so it should be good for SAAMI-compliant chambers. Of course the ideal thing is for your barrel maker to cut one using the same reamer as was used for your chamber, but using a tight gauge gives one a bit of margin.

I bought one of these a few years back when I decided to start reloading.
                shopalexanderarms.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, shopalexanderarms.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

That bulberry may be better than what I have tbough .

Although I don't test every piece with it I usually test a few starting out and if all is well I keep going with my reloading.

Comment

The gauge came in a week ago, and I have looked at how the Hornady 123 gr SST ammunition fits. The base is flush with the gauge when the shoulder contacts the chamber's shoulder. One can also see where the shoulder touches and where the ogive 'kind of' meets the free-bore / throat.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2013

That title made my heart drop haha

Comment

• Kikn
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                      The gauge came in a week ago, and I have looked at how the Hornady 123 gr SST ammunition fits. The base is flush with the gauge when the shoulder contacts the chamber's shoulder. One can also see where the shoulder touches and where the ogive 'kind of' meets the free-bore / throat.

So it has part of it cut out like the photo?

Comment

• Kikn
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Adam Lilja View Post
                        That title made my heart drop haha
                        LoL... my failure not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
                          So it has part of it cut out like the photo?
                          Yup!

Apologies for no pix yet.

Comment

• Kikn
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2011

Well I am officially confused...or maybe just tired.

I checked the rounds that I made with the AA ammunition gauge and they all fit in easily. I had set the bullet in a little deeper to see if anything changed and it still won't load. I set it deeper and still not going into battery.

So I pull out my other upper just for giggles and the rounds load in easily. Even with the longer seated bullets (to a certain extent).

Just won't load into the new barrel but factory ammo is just fine.I guess I'll take the once fires brass and try again at a later time and just use this already loaded ammo for development in my older 16" upper.

Comment

• rasp65
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

Kikn The only problem with the bullberry gauge is if there is any difference between it and your chamber it won't tell you anything reliable. Custom builders will sometimes make these out of the barrel end and cut it with the very same reamer as on the barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X