• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheDroz66
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2013

Need help on first Build

I am finally starting on my first build and right off the bat I have a question. First I have 20" Lilja 704 profile barrel and a seekins IRMT-3 upper. They will not go together - very tight. Just wondering if I need to put the barrel in the freezer and warm the upper up. Is this the best option or is there a better way?
  • TheDroz66
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2013

Got it to fit. upper in the oven at 200 for 7-8 min and the barrel in the freezer for an hour and they slid together perfectly!!

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? Good job. You've clearly been doing your research.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• TheDroz66
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2013

Yes, and thanks. Hopefully will have time to finish tonight and will post pics when done.

Comment

• cbe1962
          Warrior
          • Sep 2012

Good to hear it is coming together for you. Look forward to the pics.

Comment

not sure how your going to get it apart if you have to, Im assuming it was very tight. I heard the Seekins uppers are tight, I want to try one soon for one of my next builds.

Comment

• TheDroz66
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
              not sure how your going to get it apart if you have to, Im assuming it was very tight. I heard the Seekins uppers are tight, I want to try one soon for one of my next builds.
              I have been wondering the same thing. I hope I never need to take it apart. Within second of putting them together I could not move the barrel at all. I am sure someone here has had to take apart an upper and barrel that were incredibly tight!?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

I've read several cases of people using hairdryers with great success to do the deed.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Bill A said Kroil, low heat and a lot of patience.

Comment

• TheDroz66
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2013

Good to know! Thanks!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                      Bill A said Kroil, low heat and a lot of patience.
                      I believe the Kroil (or other penetrating oils) is for releasing a loctited assembly, such as free float tube, or a barrel that was bedded with loctite. I don't believe thedroz66 used (or needed) any loctite on this barrel and upper. In a case such as this, heating the upper and removing the barrel, before it warms, should be all that is required. Penetrating oil couldn't hurt, I suppose.
                      Last edited by NugginFutz; 04-17-2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I use kroil for a ton of stuff too, started with using it to help lap chambers with JB paste

Comment

Working...
                        X