How to get started hog hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get started hog hunting

I live in Minnesota ( no wild hogs that I know of ).

I would like to get into hog hunting.

Is there an inexpensive way to get started? In other words can I do it without a guide.

Public lands vs land owners who want to get rid of a few pigs ?

What states are best for such type of hunting ?

What time of year is hunting open or best chance of success ?

Night hunting vs daytime or twilight hunting ? I don't want to invest in night vision gear just yet if I don't have to.

Any chance of hooking up with some experienced hog hunters for a little on the job training ?
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

First you will need to figure out where you want to go to kill said hogs, your best bet is to find somewhere with farm land and some farmers who want said pigs eliminated then just pull the trigger
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
      First you will need to figure out where you want to go to kill said hogs, your best bet is to find somewhere with farm land and some farmers who want said pigs eliminated then just pull the trigger
      On the hogs, not the farmers….

Comment

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
        I wish it were that easy. You'd think more farmers would let people on their land but it's not that simple. I've had to slowly build relationships with landowners to get to where I am (I have 6 or 7 nice places to hunt) but they all have rules against me bringing people with me.

Honestly your best bet is to find an inexpensive hog hunt on a lease.

Comment

I thought it would be easier as well. From the sound of it, farmers are begging to get rid of them but I don't think this is the case.

I thought I could find good information online, but again the majority of what I find are guided hunting sites.

mongoosesnipe - that is the reason for my post is to find where I want to go hunting.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Its tough to self guide in areas you don't know. Your chance of success plummets simply because you don't know little things like that hidden gully or spot where they always water.

The guide services in Texas are first rate and tie up huge chunks of ground so that they don't hunt the same place over and over and train the pigs.

I plan on hunting Texas some day, hopefully from a chopper!

Variable, can I borrow your full auto Grendel? Lol

Comment

• Adam Lilja
              Warrior
              • Dec 2013

Google Earth is a great tool for pre-scouting terrain before self guiding. Helps me a lot.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Adam Lilja View Post
                Google Earth is a great tool for pre-scouting terrain before self guiding. Helps me a lot.
                Its a great tool, but almost all land in Texas is privately owned and that's not shown. It helps a lot in Montana and Idaho and Washington where big chunks are public, not so much in Texas.

Comment

• Kikn
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2011

Like pigops said here in Texas you have to have a relationship of sorts with land owner. I'm fortunate enough to have a few places I can go and I assure you it took some convincing to even get to bring wine of my friends along.

Problem with guided hunts especially in areas that are hunted frequently is the pigs turning nocturnal and not going to the feeders. And no hunt is guaranteed as heads have large ranges and move frequently.

And on most public land its bow, crossbow, or shotgun slug only (not rifled)

I've noticed this year most pigs killed weren't at a feeder it was out scouting and stalking. There has been enough rain thus year and there us still some food on the ground. There is no reason for them to risk going to a feeder unless they are just to young to know better.

With that being said. Food on the ground is drying up and spring is starting a bit late. This time of year is good for feeders and late summer is good for hunting water.

But like bwaites said and if I made the trek to Texas and had some coin I'd be in a helicopter...

With that being said there are lots of people that split the cost of a heli hunt ... maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to try and get a group rate if you want to save money.

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

I look at the military bases I work on and Washington DC, Capitol, White house, Pentagon and everything is on Google Earth. Never knew those ranchers could block the satellites in Texas. I know there hats are big but that is good coverage..

Here is Austin TX, you can zoom in on anything. https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2838.../data=!3m1!1e3
                    Last edited by Tedward; 03-27-2014, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• Slappy
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2014

Up in Minnesota the closest place for you is in Eastern Iowa they have feral hogs now from reports I have read. Other than that you are on your own up there. Down here in Texas start you searches and make some calls and try to find someone you are comfortable with and in your price range and plan a hunt for more than one or 2 days. Virginia, Kentucky, Georgia and also Florida have many hogs too. Maybe just maybe someone on here has the connections and if you are lucky they might invite you along. Good luck,, and if you find one that some owner wants to eliminate some hogs let me know also! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Slappy
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2014

This is just one and cost many thousands of dollars. You have to attend an all day course (because you are in a flying machine with a weapon), pass a very well searched background check too and there is a minimum hourly rate and so on and so on. Last time I looked for 10 hunters it cost many thousands of dollars. They do advertise free hunts down here but even at that they will cost you 5 to 600 and that is not including any travel, food and guide services, cleaning fees (if you do not clean your own) and do not forget the tips those alone per day will run up the bill right fast and in a hurry. Things are not getting any cheaper. BANG BANG!!

Comment

Thanks guys - this is all very helpful. Reassuring that I'm not alone in the struggle to find hunting grounds. I will intensify the search.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                            I look at the military bases I work on and Washington DC, Capitol, White house, Pentagon and everything is on Google Earth. Never knew those ranchers could block the satellites in Texas. I know there hats are big but that is good coverage..

Here is Austin TX, you can zoom in on anything. https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2838.../data=!3m1!1e3
                            Once again your reading comprehension is a little faulty!

Seeing the map doesn't help if you can't see the property lines and don't know who owns it, even if you can figure out where the lines are. Almost all land in Texas is private property!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                              Once again your reading comprehension is a little faulty!

Seeing the map doesn't help if you can't see the property lines and don't know who owns it, even if you can figure out where the lines are. Almost all land in Texas is private property!
                              Quite often, I've made use of BLM maps, as they outline the private lands. Handy here, since there is quite a bit more BLM, than private. Keeps me from crossing into private land and risking legal issues. Obviously, though, that still doesn't help with identifying the land owner, or how to contact them, which I am sure suits most of them.
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X