PDW trunk gun quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunslinger

so you say you want an AR that is good for personal defense and will go through a barrier, in this case I can think of nothing better than the .50 beowulf, I know it may seem a little overkill, but I see it like this, there is a big difference between self defense and hunting, its not like your trying to save the meat of a perpatrator. Ammo may not be real easy to get but you should be able to buy or reload plenty for your needs. If I were buying or building an AR for personal defense this would be my go- to caliber, but that is just me. If I am protector me and or my family I want a one shot stop.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunslinger View Post
      so you say you want an AR that is good for personal defense and will go through a barrier, in this case I can think of nothing better than the .50 beowulf, I know it may seem a little overkill, but I see it like this, there is a big difference between self defense and hunting, its not like your trying to save the meat of a perpatrator. Ammo may not be real easy to get but you should be able to buy or reload plenty for your needs. If I were buying or building an AR for personal defense this would be my go- to caliber, but that is just me. If I am protector me and or my family I want a one shot stop.
      Definitely a one shot stop, at least as much as can be expected. BUT....have to be careful with penetration!

Most of the Beowulf ammo will go right through any body, including a bear, at close range.

Comment

Yes, In an urban environment, you don't want to be launching projectiles through your intended target(s) and then off into innocents. 5.56 FMJ's and M855 usually sail right through vehicles, in my experience, even front-to-back. Maybe ballistic tips would be a good idea for a car gun, but you also have to think about windshield penetration, often after penetrating from within your windshield if you are nose-to-nose with another vehicle filled with imminent threats.

Whatever I'm shooting, I won't be relying on one round to do the trick, as the first round usually breaks the ice in a rapid string into my aiming point on the smallest point of the target being engaged. This is where I lean towards magazine capacity and controllability, so I can keep rounds within a 2-6" circle under rapid fire, depending on the distances. For me, 5.56 from a well-built AR fills the bill right now. I know of no other 5.56 carbine that can match the speed and controllability of an AR for these types of scenarios.

I would say the most important aspect of this discussion is training, not necessarily weapons selection. Due to the NFA laws, it is more difficult to obtain the properly-profiled SBR's appropriate for this type of work. I will also say that if you have to shoot from within your vehicle without ear pro in, you WILL suffer significant hearing loss. There will also be dangerous levels of glass particulate dust that is hazardous to breathe.

If you can't afford to participate in professional training events where shooting from within vehicles is conducted, you can practice from a simple arrangement of chairs on the range. Use barricades to simulate the dash, and imagine where passengers, windows and pillars will be, constraining your fields of fire. Then practice shooting from a seated position to your left and right, as if shooting from the driver's and passenger side windows. I also suggest incorporating those who you drive with frequently to participate in this training. You can also practice dry in your vehicle in the garage, with the garage door closed as to not spook any neighbors.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned from the FBI Miami Shootout when it comes to car guns, shooting from within vehicles, retention of eyeglasses, pistols falling on the floor in vehicle impact and getting lost, range habits gone horribly wrong in life-or-death shootings, mag or cylinder capacity, back-up guns, malf's, reloading under fire, shooting and moving, using cars as weapons, communication, and so forth. The SBR Mini-14 with folding stock and coupled 30rd mags proved to be the most formidable weapon in that encounter, especially in the hands of a better-trained fighter, regardless of the well-honed marksmanship skills of the FBI agents.

The use of vehicles as weapons by the FBI gave them a major advantage in the initial stage of the encounter, constraining Platt and Matix to a limited area of maneuver, after disabling their vehicle and trapping it between two other parked cars. Once Platt started firing effectively on the agents from within the car with the Mini-14, he turned the tables on them, even though they had totally surrounded him and Matix, who had been effectively disabled with a basal skull fracture from a +P+ .38 Special.

There are way more things to think about than gun play and vehicle handling/dynamic driving, while training for these encounters is restricted to extremely-small Government, LE, and Military circles. Learning to be aggressive while keeping a cool head is the basis to start from, when preparing for a scenario where a car gun will come into play. One of the first drills is to learn how to maneuver your vehicle out of the kill zone, often while driving in reverse with many sharp turns without hitting obstacles, as your passenger places rapid strings of fire effectively into the threats. There are only a handful of people in the world that train on these skill sets.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Anyone who thinks you won't need it here needs to read this and pay attention!

Comment

One of the biggest misconceptions about Law Enforcement is that their job is to protect you. It is not. It cannot be, given the basic limitations of physics. Their job is to protect the sense of societal order in municipalities, counties, States, and Nations. They are barely equipped to protect themselves in most cases, and most officers don't receive enough training to do even that.

When you are in the middle of a life-or-death scenario that usually comes up on people in a surprising fashion, 911 is minutes away, and response times to violent crimes reported as being perpetrated by multiple suspects don't exactly increase the response times. What person or persons want to rush to their own possible death, whether wearing a uniform or not...

Somewhere along the way, people have surrendered their personal responsibility to assert and defend their own lives and security to unseen, unqualified, absent entities that simply don't exist. The sooner you realize that YOU'RE IT, the more engaged you should become in maintaining a healthy personal protection posture.

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Due to the NFA laws, it is more difficult to obtain the properly-profiled SBR's appropriate for this type of work.
              LR52 - If no restrictions, what would you suggest?

What is the possibility of getting both my wife and I registered on an SBR? I'd like her to have access, even when I'm not around.
              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

That would be best served by the SBR belonging to a "NFA Trust" that includes the two of you. That way you don't get snared by one of you being in possession of NFA that isn't registered to them..... It's a lengthy explanation (that I can't answer all of today--in a hurry) but you'll find info on the NFA related boards (subguns.com, silencertalk.com, etc.) HTH

ETA: Found a second chance to throw something in.LOL

Here: http://blog.princelaw.com/2009/1/12/...sked-questions

Pop some popcorn and pull up a comfy chair before starting to learn how to untangle the delightful world of NFA regulation.
                Last edited by Variable; 08-06-2011, 03:30 PM. Reason: add link...
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Variable,

That's an interesting suggestion, as I imagine both people could be co-owners/trustees of the trust. Good idea.

Bjorn,

For reliability, an 11.5" or 12.5" AR is hard to beat with the short AR's, as long as the barrel is made by a reputable manufacturer with the know-how on gas port diameter. Things start to get sketchy from there as you get into the 10" barrels, but some apparently are reliable with the right gas ports, gas system and recoiling parts balance, and ammunition. I can't recall having any malf's with all the 11.5" guns I've owned or used, and I have owned 3 different ones in the past. The only time I've seen malf's with a good 11.5" gun was with Russian ammo. The 10" guns are much louder as well, so I prefer to have some type of can or muzzle device on them that deals with sound, effectively increasing the barrel length to what an 11.5" or 16" would be.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2011, 01:49 AM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Any recommendations on manufacturers with know how on short ARs?

What about integral barrel/suppressor?

Comment

• BjornF16
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

I'm now working with a lawyer for NFA trust...(seems like a cottage industry...do these guys support NFA to increase their business?)

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                        Any recommendations on manufacturers with know how on short ARs?
                        My vote would be COLT. They know more about the platform and how to make a shorty run than about anyone. They've been doing it since the beginning. I have a Colt 6933 that runs flawlessly, and were I to grab another one, I'd get one again. The only other thing I'd want would be their Monolithic if it was available in an 11.5" barrel.

What about integral barrel/suppressor?
                        Personally I wouldn't get an integral. I'd hate to pay for a really good can and then have it permanently married to only one upper.

I haven't paid much attention to the can market lately (I already have 6, so I need to take a break!LOL). I have an older style AAC M4-2000 that I really like, but I also have an AAC 762-SD can that I really love as well. The 762-SD is a .30 cal. can, so it works on about anything .30 cal. Or smaller. I use it on 7.62, 6.5 Grendel, and 5.56. It works real well on all three. It's larger in size than a 5.56 can, but it still works well on the 5.56 platform, and has less blow back because of the larger volume. Food for thought anyway...

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I'm now working with a lawyer for NFA trust...(seems like a cottage industry...do these guys support NFA to increase their business?)
                          That I don't know.LOL. Unfortunately trusts weren't en vogue when I started buying stamps, so all of my stuff is papered only to me. Were I just starting now, I'd most likely go the trust route as well.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            Variable,

That's an interesting suggestion, as I imagine both people could be co-owners/trustees of the trust. Good idea.

Bjorn,

For reliability, an 11.5" or 12.5" AR is hard to beat with the short AR's, as long as the barrel is made by a reputable manufacturer with the know-ho on gas port diameter. Things start to get sketchy from there as you get into the 10" barrels, but some apparently are reliable with the right gas ports, gas system and recoiling parts balance, and ammunition. I can't recall having any malf's with all the 11.5" guns I've owned or used, and I have owned 3 different ones in the past. The only time I've seen malf's with a good 11.5" gun was with Russian ammo. The 10" guns are much louder as well, so I prefer to have some type of can or muzzle device on them that deals with sound, effectively increasing the barrel length to what an 11.5" or 16" would be.
                            Same here. I'd stick to the 11.5" uppers. I have one 7.5" upper, but it's only a novelty to me. I mainly use it with a .22lr adapter, and it only sees 5.56 to blow the lead out.

I have an AA 10.5" in the Grendel that runs like a raped ape, so there are exceptions, but other than that I'm an 11.5" guy as well.

For obnoxious blast, I'd have to give the ribbon to my 10.5" 6.5 Grendel!!! I fired it in an enclosed stand exactly ONCE. I'll never do that unsuppressed again!!! With the AAC can it's a pussy cat though.

I'm interested in Templar's new can too, so when I get some toy funds back I may pursue one of those, depending on the stats. I'd like to build a light weight Grendel with AA's G10 forend. A titanium can might be sweet for that.

Comment

I'll be doing a 723 or 727-style KISS carbine in the near future, and I'm planning on doing a FSB pocket cut on one of the old tubular rifle-length guards that were emerging in that early-90's era with certain folks. With a reflex can over the 14.5" pipes, it looks like an MP5SD kinda, and allows more forward mounting of your light so you don't get muzzle shadow like on a carbine handguard gun.

I was able to get some A2 "blem" uppers from LAR for like $48 per, so that will push me in the 727 direction of course. I still haven't decided if I'll SBR and do a regular can, or have a reflex made out of Ti.

My last can was an Ase Utra CQB-QD that attached to a standard A2 or A1 flash suppressor, but I didn't really like that design so much relying on alignment of a rack-grade thread job, and the added weight of the QD mech. I think direct thread-on is much more practical, and definitely lighter.

For a car gun, the benefits of a suppressor can't be overstated enough, but I will want it as short as possible. I have noticed that 7.62 weapons suppressed can be made much quieter than a 5.56, which still has a piercing crack not present in some of the better .30 cal cans.

Variable, is the Grendel more in the same boat as the 7.62 with regards to suppressed report?

Comment

• Variable
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                                Variable, is the Grendel more in the same boat as the 7.62 with regards to suppressed report?
                                Kind of embarrassing, but I don't know. I don't have any 308 semi platforms anymore, and we don't have them at work either, so I can't really make an honest comparison. I dumped all of my semi 308s a long time ago, and only have an old Remmy PSS bolt gun left. I never really paid that much attention to the ballistic crack between different cartridges. When I ever get around to shooting the Remmy again, I'll try to compare them (with my poorly calibrated mk1 "earball" anyway.LOL). I don't expect it would be fair to put a bolt gun against a semi, but maybe I can aurally edit out the action noise somehow. I should probably get another 308 at some time, but with the toy fund currently near empty, it'll be a while.

I expect you are probably right. I don't know if raw velocity plays a part in it or not. Sorry I couldn't be of better help though.

FWIW, the 5.56 rounds do seem a little "crisper"/"sharper", but I have no idea how that would pan out on a meter. If sound pressure levels were equal, and they were just higher in pitch, I'd bet they probably fall off faster at distance. I couldn't responsibly say for sure though.

Comment

Working...
                                X