• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tedward
    Banned
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by poli View Post
    My post primarily was about being a bit disappointed with the groups and asking for advice on trigger. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll look into TriggerWork.
    I have had 2 done by him and for the money they are really a good deal. I tried the sping deal with some light weight JP Trigger Springs and that got me into trouble when I went to use the same lower on my .223 Wylde. Lite primer strikes, speed hammers and so on. So I called the trigger guy, issue resolved and did 2 triggers since I was shipping and it would cost the same there and back. Both are very crisp.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Tedward
      Long Range is what he was talking about?

I don't think he was talking about long range.

Sorry for interfearing with your thread poli...But the Rocky Mountain Squad doesn't like it if you talk about someone in there region.
      All the same, Ted - let me know how your groups are doing. Please. My reading deficiencies aside, LRRPF52 was offering some pretty sound advice on natural Point of Aim. Useful information for anyone serious about shooting respectable groups. Condemning a technique only because you disagree with the messenger is folly.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

I deleted several of the posts in this thread for having nothing to do with the OP, and not conforming to a family-friendly forum. Somehow it deviated into inappropriate topics that don't convey the level of maturity that one would expect from adults.

If anybody is wondering about what I do when shooting for groups, I have described it before. "Going to sleep on the gun" means regulating your natural body functions to a slower pace so that there is less opportunity for your circulatory and nervous systems to impart shooter error onto the gun. Olympic shooters will practice on a heart monitor if you have any doubts about the science behind it, but it's an approach that helps me shoot groups better.

If you disagree with it, don't like, think it's unsound, make an intelligent case with supporting information, and drive on. We're not going to have a forum where grown men act like children and devolve into nonsensical discussions that have nothing to do with the OP.

If you have advice on how to help the OP improve his groups, and you have experience making accurate rifles, or ringing out accuracy potential from rifles with proven techniques, now would be a good time to share those experiences. That's what the forum is for, to help fellow shooters out.

Comment

• poli
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2014

Buying a trigger from TriggerWorks will cost about $45; on the other hand, a Geissele SSA-E (which I've noticed many forum members own) sells for $230 at Midway. My question: is the Geissele trigger so much better than the one customized by an experienced gunsmith to justify the difference in price? We're looking at a trigger that is 5 times more expensive! Like everything else, there is a price/value ratio and many times this is inflated by factors other than the features of the product (I also know that value is "in the eyes of the beholder"). Is there anything else in between these two extremes that might work? My final goal is to get a trigger that is light and crisp for target shooting but that could also work in hunting situations.
          Last edited by poli; 04-02-2014, 05:26 AM.

Comment

For the type of trigger you're talking about, looking at the hunting aspect, will you ever be wearing gloves, and how thick will the trigger finger pad be on those gloves when shooting in the Winter? Reason I ask is that it is a big consideration for us when I go hunting in Finland in the winter. To get around that, if we're hunting from a static position, my Finn friends use thick shooting mats and sleeping bags to stay warm in the arctic conditions.

When I used that technique, I was able to actually leave my gloves entirely off for the beginning of the evening, then as temps dropped, I donned my Nomex and hunter's mittens.

A standard trigger polished will significantly improve the trigger feel to a point where you might not see a difference on the target between it and one of the higher end triggers, but the Geissele's allow you to ring accuracy potential out of the AR15 with less physical and mental effort, and in a faster fundamentals sequence.

The Geissele will also keep its surfaces longer than a standard trigger will, because of the materials and methods Geissele uses. This really caters to the hi-power shooter and shooter who is spending a lot of time on the range burning through thousands of rounds in a season to stay competitive. You get a very long-lasting, super crisp break trigger from Geissele, with a full power hammer spring that won't light strike your primers, especially in colder temps.

For what you describe as your main intent, you would be ok with the trigger job, or step up to a JP single stage trigger with set screw adjustments for the initial take up and overtravel. I have all 3 types of triggers discussed herein, as well as a tuned Rock River 2-stage. I have:

Geissele SSA in my .260 Rem AR10
            JP Single Stage tuned and installed by me in my 16" Grendel
            RRA Tuned ( I think by Bill Springfield, or another go-to guy for hi-power. )
            Several poor man's trigger jobs I have done myself on my beater guns.

I prefer the top 3 triggers, and like different ones for different things. I polish the face of every rack-grade trigger, without changing the angle or screwing with the edge of the trigger nose just as a general approach to doing work on the fire control group for the AR15. Nobody likes gritty tool marks on their trigger-to-hammer engagement.

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Buying a trigger from TriggerWorks will cost about $45; on the other hand, a Geissele SSA-E (which I've noticed many forum members own) sells for $230 at Midway. My question: is the Geissele trigger so much better than the one customized by an experienced gunsmith to justify the difference in price? We're looking at a trigger that is 5 times more expensive! Like everything else, there is a price/value ratio and many times this is inflated by factors other than the features of the product (I also know that value is "in the eyes of the beholder"). Is there anything else in between these two extremes that might work? My final goal is to get a trigger that is light and crisp for target shooting but that could also work in hunting situations.
              The Geissele triggers are all MP Tested so you pay extra for that. If you want the same thing and the trigger is not a life or death situation, you can save some money and get a G2S if you want a Geissele. Read there note, same trigger, just MP spot checked.

Also his wifes company sells polished triggers off the shelf. ALG triggers. Still a heavier pull but polished professionally.
              http://www.midwayusa.com/product/469...ProductFinding

A few less expensive approaches.But Trigger Works is a place to go if you already have a trigger.

Comment

• poli
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2014

Thank you all for your input. I ended up ordering the G2S - thank you Tedward for the links.

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

Thank you all for your input. I ended up ordering the G2S - thank you Tedward for the links.
                  Good deal, let me know how it works out, I might be picking one up too. Also thinking of an ALG for my son to just see if it is any different than the reworked one from TW.

Post some pic's back here once you get it set up and shot some groups. I'll be watching....

Comment

Working...
                  X