Any Feedback yet on Precision Firearms 129gr LR Nossler ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Feedback yet on Precision Firearms 129gr LR Nossler ammo?

The nossler 129gr ammo from Precision Firearms has been out for a couple of month now. It should be a great bullet. And Precision Firearms is a great company to deal with. Has anyone tried the 129gr Nossler LR ammo from them yet? I'm starting to stock up for next hunting season.

I haven't tried this ammo, but I have shot the 129gr LRAB out of my 6.5x55 and got no love, the regular old 140 AB shoots better at 600 yards our of my Blaser R8. A little less than 3" groups with the regular 140 AB and 18" groups with the 129 LRAB. I haven't done full load development and there may be a specific jump length or something it likes, but so far, I'm not impressed.
    Bob

Comment

• Sojorboy
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

My Grendel loves the 120 Nosler BT loaded by PF
      Here's a picture of a 5 shot group at 100 yards
      Attached Files

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Sojorboy View Post
        My Grendel loves the 120 Nosler BT loaded by PF
        Here's a picture of a 5 shot group at 100 yards
        Great group. What upper are you running?
        Does he tell you what powder and how much he used on them? ..can't wait to see it at 200 and 300 yards.

Comment

• acourvil
          Warrior
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
          The nossler 129gr ammo from Precision Firearms has been out for a couple of month now. It should be a great bullet. And Precision Firearms is a great company to deal with. Has anyone tried the 129gr Nossler LR ammo from them yet? I'm starting to stock up for next hunting season.
          I picked up a box but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I should get some trigger time in this week and next weekend.

Comment

• acourvil
            Warrior
            • Dec 2013

I got a chance to shoot these a little this weekend. The results were good enough that I want to work with them a bit more.

Using a 22" JP barrel, the ave fps was 2335, a little slower than I was hoping for, but they shot sub-MOA at 100 yards.

I also shot steel at 665 and 860 yards, and had no trouble getting consistent hits at either distance with the 129g Accubond LRs. I needed 19 MOA elevation at 670 and 29-1/2 MOA at 860 (this was at 2k elevation, mid 70s temp. Didn't check humidity, but I'm guessing it was probably 30-50%. This compares to 17 MOA and 27-1/2 MOA respectively for 123g Scenars (123 AMAX and SSTs are in the same range +/- an MOA).

Overall, I think they look very promising, especially if the representation of good expansion down to 1200fps is validated. For strictly target shooting, they would need to be a bit faster (and maybe drop a bit in price) to move ahead of the 123g offerings, at least in my 22" barrel.

Comment

Working...
            X