6.5 grendel upper build list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 grendel upper build list?

Anyone have one handy? Best place to find grendel parts?

I am thinking I can build an 18" upper for less than AA $792 price tag. What say the forum?
  • Tedward
    Banned
    • Feb 2013

You will probable be able to put one together for less than $792 but after you factor in tools and shipping from 10 places, you will go over that amount.

Also you will decide to go with a different upper, Billet possibly, Cooler hand guard (cha'ching $$), barrel that can go from $300 to $600 on top of the fluting options (mo$$), comp (since it will possibly be 9/16-24 and are hard to find) still more money for a nice one, Nib carrier just because, 9310 bolt (possible Nib to match the carrier) and don't forget a charge handle(BCM or some more expensive like an ambi Rainer Arms), gas block (adjustable too?? $$) and so on. Oh and the.....keeps going...

One thing if you build your own or buy a custom one is your getting more than a stock upper. Also you won't have extra hand guards, uppers and black carriers left over. If you buy then upgrade, all you end up with in the long run is a barrel. Also I doubt you will spend less than $792 on a build.

So if you want a bare bones upper, $800 is what you will spend at least.
    Last edited by Tedward; 04-07-2014, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• RakkasanDad
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2014

Got around $700 in mine. I had to shop around and wait for some deals on some of my parts though. But I did splurge on a Precision bolt carrier and a Precision break. After you factor in the time and waiting, the complete upper price of $800 isn't that bad. But if you like putting one together and don't mind waiting on a few things you might save a few bucks. It just depends on how long you want to wait to get one together. My 2 cents. Either way remember "It's a Grendel!", so it's all good.
      NRA Life Member and Proud Army Dad!!

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

If your sole goal is an economical upper then yes you can build one cheaper if you remain disciplined to your objective. It's real easy to start splurging. That being said you can certainly build one cheaper that'll work well for you, but it won't be to the quality of an AA upper.

If you intend to use 90% the same components as the AA upper, you'll end up spending the same you would have if you bought one from AA, plus or minus 5%-10%. That being said, if you enjoy working with your hands there's something incredible rewarding about building your own rifle.

If you know exactly what you want and you're just going to eventually modify the AA upper into a completely different upper, just build your own now exactly how you want end. You'll spend significantly more money now, but you'll save money in the long run.
        Last edited by cory; 04-08-2014, 02:18 AM.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The assumption is that the AA complete upper is merely a collection of readily available, rack-grade parts on the market, with the exception of the barrel and bolt.

After breaking down several AA complete upper receiver groups, I have learned that they are nothing of the sort.

For starters, the upper receiver has a square face to it before it is anodized with a correct Type III hard coat anodizing, and is made from 7075 T6 aircraft grade aluminum. The barrel extension tunnels seem to run on the snug/tight side, which is what you want for accuracy.

I've been looking over the recent offerings of 9310 Grendel bolts, and the AA 9310 bolt is a very high quality component with over a decade of continuous testing and satisfied customer use. AA is acutely aware of the TDP for the M4/AR15, what works well, and what is needed to make the Grendel work well.

AA has been doing testing with different barrel lengths, twist rates, assembly methods, gas port diameters, gas system lengths, buffer weights, and other critical operating system components since at least 2003, and there is a lot of research & development that goes into their products, as opposed to many shops that simply source components, assemble them, and put their name on them.

If you were to try to duplicate the institutional knowledge in the components that go into an AA upper, just by purchasing them if you could find them, you would easily exceed $1000 for just the complete upper, no tools. AA doesn't cut corners on parts, and has critical parts made to their exact specifications that are inspected before they are even considered for assembly.

I jumped into this cartridge with an AA barrel/bolt combo back in 2009, and figured I knew how to put an upper together after dealing with AR15's since the 1980's. The reality is that I would have saved myself a lot of time and money had I just purchased a complete upper.

Comment

Working...
          X