BHW .264 LBC took only a month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BHW .264 LBC took only a month

Ordered a custom made 26" BB .264 LBC from Black Hole on March 4. It showed up last week. Here it is mocked up so I can preview the configuration. My first 6.5mm. Have two 5.56's. Both carbines.

Here's some pron for you. The Barska is just on there because it has a quick release. It's going to get a 20x42mm SWF SS.

Comment

• lilharcher
      Warrior
      • Feb 2013

What are the advantages of 26" vs. say a 22" or 24"?? Bench only for that guy huh??

Comment

Bench and BLM land, yes. I don't hunt. As for 26", Lothar Walther was also offering one via Competition Shooting, but I got run around quite a bit by them all last year, so I cancelled after most of 2013 went by. Was looking for max velocity at 1000 yards. I'm sure there's going to be other opinions. The nice thing is, if the Chrony tells me it's got too much friction, I can always cut it down.

Comment

• Tedward
          Banned
          • Feb 2013

Looks like a nice long barrel for sure and should work for its purpose. Is it a 12" Nordic Components HG with a DPMS Slick Side Upper? Or is that a 15" HG? Barrel goes out of the picture so maybe you need a wide angle lens

Look forward to the Chrony. Would like to see if you get any added speeds for the 26" barrel. I think being a LCB 264, you will be able to get full length mag bullets in there and still be off the lands then. Also looks Fluted, did you leave 2" at the end not fluted so if you do decide to cut it down you don't cut into the flutes?

I'll be looking for followup reports, and can you post some OAL and measurments to the Ogive ("CBtO" Case Back to Ogive).

Thanks for sharing....

Comment

Did you get the type 1 or type 2 chamber.
            I heard the type 2 takes longer.

Comment

DPMS and Nordic, yes. Duh-ohh!!! On the fluting. So no. It's almost to the end. Guess it's staying as a 26". Will do on the stats. I've got a lot to learn about this cartridge, so, looking forward to the forums guidance.

Comment

Well, not in this case. I sent them a type 2 I bought from AA months ago, right when they became available again. Jason at BHW wrote me right before cutting it and offered to swap to type 1 for free. His argument was that a type 1 bolt is easier to replace. I didn't really care so I went with the type 1 swap. But as far as I understand, BHW making a type 2 would take the same time.

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

I noticed the end of the barrel later, the picture was cut from my view yesterday.
                  There are a few guys here that have barrels longer then 24" with bolt guns so there must be an advantage if your bench shooting.

It will be a shooter on those long distance call's...."Reach Out and Touch Something"
                  Last edited by Tedward; 04-12-2014, 03:49 AM.

Comment

If you go to this link above, you should be able to see my original pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by mws View Post
                      Well, not in this case. I sent them a type 2 I bought from AA months ago, right when they became available again. Jason at BHW wrote me right before cutting it and offered to swap to type 1 for free. His argument was that a type 1 bolt is easier to replace. I didn't really care so I went with the type 1 swap. But as far as I understand, BHW making a type 2 would take the same time.
                      I hope my type 2 light profile 16 inch with mid length gas and black pebble finish comes within a month.
                      They said 10 to 12 weeks.
                      I looking forward to trying a 264 LBC BHW barrel.
                      I hear they're very accurate.

Comment

I like the chrome or nickel plated receiver extension, where did you get that?

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Comment

Heh heh, that extension is a sandblasted formerly black finish, down to bare aluminum and then wire wheeled. The Troy stock on the carbine already has enough battle rattle without me thinning the extension surface out even more-- but I did. So, while it looks cool, the Troy Battle Ax stock is looser than ever. I wanted some continuity between the extension and the stainless barrel. To be honest, the lower on the .264 that has the DPMS hard chrome parts, used to be on that carbine as well, so there was a whole matte silver motif going on.

Comment

• usmc1371
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2011

I'm going to order a bbl from bhw next month. Looking on a 16" with mid length gas and type 2 chamber. Hopefully it comes in sooner than later.

Comment

close to final config. Went out and broke it in with the SWF SS 20x42 mounted like this. Found I needed a riser, so I need to install that and check alignment/lap it again, next.

Comment

Working...
                              X