• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmc1371
    Warrior
    • Aug 2011

looking for 16 in grendel barrel

I am currently looking for a 16 in barrel for my next build. Does anyone know of one on stock? I don't want a m4 profile.
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

What profile do you want, hand lapped/chrome lined of the shelf, and how much are you willing to spend?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

BHW is very good quality, although it is a .264 LBC chamber. Nothing wrong with that though, mine shoots lights out and I did not have to wait more than 2 months for it. It shoots everything I put in it without problems. I kept the 18" Grendel barrel from Brownells, everything checked out fine, although it is just a bit snug with Hornady ammo, but I have a friend reload 100 grn TTSX Barnes bullets in Lapua brass with TAC, we don't hunt with Hornady ammo. No one around here likes the bullets.

Originally posted by usmc1371 View Post
      I am currently looking for a 16 in barrel for my next build. Does anyone know of one on stock? I don't want a m4 profile.

Comment

• usmc1371
        Warrior
        • Aug 2011

Looking towards a heavy medium profile with a mid-length gas system.

Comment

• usmc1371
          Warrior
          • Aug 2011

With a 5/8-24 thread at the muzzle.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Lilja is carrying them now, give them a call.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• usmc1371
              Warrior
              • Aug 2011

That's good to know. Thanks.

Comment

• usmc1371
                Warrior
                • Aug 2011

BHW has what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link.

Comment

If you want the type 2 chamber that uses Grendel bolts you might want to call them.
                  Type 1 uses 7.62x39 bolts and is what they'll chamber the barrel for if type 2 isn't specified.
                  I like the type 2 bolt.
                  I think it has a better,stronger design for the thicker 65grendel rims.

Comment

• usmc1371
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2011

That I didn't know. I'll remember that when I order it. It happened that I have a spare bolt.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

45r is correct. They have been headspacing for the Type I's as their standard run, as of sometime late last year. A phone call, prior to placing your order, will ensure you get the type you want. Andy and crew are quite accommodating and responsive, in my experience. If GLShooter is around, I'm sure he'll chime in with the straight poop, as well.

ETA: While you're selecting your tube, you might also want to look at their fluting. Some of it is quite interesting and reasonable pricing, as well.
                      Last edited by NugginFutz; 04-13-2014, 05:16 AM.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

I have one I've been testing that I will be selling, has fewer than 100 rounds through it. I need to run about 50 more rounds to finish up testing, then I'll sell for a nice discount if you are interested.

I specc'ed a Grendel bolt, and it comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          I have one I've been testing that I will be selling, has fewer than 100 rounds through it. I need to run about 50 more rounds to finish up testing, then I'll sell for a nice discount if you are interested.

I specc'ed a Grendel bolt, and it comes with it.
                          Can you say what you like or not like about your BHW barrel.
                          I've never owned a poly barrel.
                          I hear they can be shot a lot without need of cleaning and they seal well not deforming the bullet as much as conventional rifling.
                          Some companies like HK have switched to poly rifling.
                          I've haven't heard why but the their reputation for building high quality,well engineered rifles is considered to be excellent by many.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                            45r is correct. They have been headspacing for the Type I's as their standard run, as of sometime late last year. A phone call, prior to placing your order, will ensure you get the type you want. Andy and crew are quite accommodating and responsive, in my experience. If GLShooter is around, I'm sure he'll chime in with the straight poop, as well.

ETA: While you're selecting your tube, you might also want to look at their fluting. Some of it is quite interesting and reasonable pricing, as well.
                            As stated the TYPE I is defaulted with a 7.62 bolt. They will do the TYPE II on request at no extra charge using the Grendel bolt. Across the board the barrels are the smoothest I have ever seen/used. Copper fouling is virtually non-existent. Shooting hot 20's over 250 rounds returned nothing on my 20 LBC. I have not observed any accuracy degradation on long shooting sessions.

I'll post up a couple targets tomorrow. Delivery times are stated as 10-12 weeks but have been running less. We are shooting the Nosler 123's with phenomenal accuracy. The fluting choices are neat as pockets and the new blackened and satin finishes aee ni t only good looking thay are hard and very wear resistant.

More later.

Greg
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2014, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 45r View Post
                              Can you say what you like or not like about your BHW barrel.
                              I've never owned a poly barrel.
                              I hear they can be shot a lot without need of cleaning and they seal well not deforming the bullet as much as conventional rifling.
                              Some companies like HK have switched to poly rifling.
                              I've haven't heard why but the their reputation for building high quality,well engineered rifles is considered to be excellent by many.
                              Very easy to clean, maybe the easiest barrel I've ever worked with. The conventional chamber requires a little more work to find a good load, meaing one that shoots sub MOA, but it is doable. I found one within 50 rounds. Mine uses an actual Grendel bolt.

I had no copper fouling from the start.

Comment

Working...
                              X