• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Prairie Dog Hunt?

There is a chance I'm going prairie dog hunting in Wyoming and I'd like to use a 6.5 Grendel. My question is which bullets to use from my stash. I have a several hundred 85 grain Sierra HP, 107 grain SMK, 100 grain Sierra Varmint, 90 grain TNT, 100 grain & 120 grain Nosler BT. I also have several hundred 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter and several hundred 123 grain Nosler CC.

I'm tempted to load the 85 grain Sierra Varmint but looking at the Ballistic charts I don't see a lot of difference in the 85 to 100 grain varmint bullets out to 400 yards. I figure the wind will be an issue and I don't know if I should load the 123 grain Nosler CC. I have several hundred Nosler CC I got as 2nd's and over runs.

The other question is whether I'm wasting my Nosler CC or SMK on prairie dogs because I won't be able to see my hits. Will the target bullets be through and through at 300 to 400 hundred yards. As you can tell I've never shot prairie dogs. My buddy would probably say I'm over thinking it and I won't hit anything any way.

I'm taking my 223 AR-15 and have plenty of 50-55 grain varmint ammo but I'd like to use my 6.5 Grendel.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

I prefer the heavier bullets myself, even when I use my .223 I shoot 77 grain Match Kings. They aren't as spectacular at 150 or 200 yards as the light weight explosive bullets, but I can hit more out at 300 yards and beyond. Occasionally there will be though and through hits and they even make it down the hole but most usually it is decisive.
    Bob

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Thanks Bob, I'll probably take some of my 69 SMK for my 223 AR since it 1:9 twist. I know the 123 Nosler CC shoot good out of my 6.5 Grendel. I may take some of both and probably have to zero out there. I'm about 350' ASL at home and were going to be around 7000' ASL where we're going.

Comment

I shoot a 5.56 also for prairie dogs. I have a 1:7 twist and shoot 75 gr Noslers. We do 2 days and go through 300 - 500 rounds. The first year my buddy went, I bet he shot 800 rounds. That would cost a pretty penny with a Grendel. We shoot 300 to 800 meters regularly, depending on where we hunt we may get out to 1000 meters. At that distance we can pick out a fat one that is standing up tall.

I've thought about taking the Grendel, but I carry a backup rifle for the same ammo just in case. So far we've never had a problem that couldnt be fixed in the field. We always end up with a ton of gear for 2 days. On a really good day, I have pulled out the backup until we got a primary cleared.

After all that shooting, cleaning a second or third rifle becomes a consideration!
        Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2014, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Clean less - shoot more!

I used to be (until fairly recently) quite obsessive about cleaning after each outing. I finally realized it was essentially costing me not only the time spend doing so, but also the first 5 or 6 rounds it took to refoul the barrel and steady the groups again. I now consider a shot of Brake Cleaner on the BCG and bolt sufficient, and I go for at least 350 - 400 rounds without scrubbing the bore. No, I can't make myself let a barrel go beyond that, but there is hope.

Now, having a backup rifle makes tremendous sense, especially since you normally need to set a hot barrel aside to cool. Having one in the same caliber is particularly advantageous if you don't have space available for the additional ammo. Me, I like the ability to shoot on the cheap out to 500 yards with 55 gr VMax, and then use the .264 LBC or .308 beyond that, with 123 Amax or 168 Amax, respectively.

I don't foresee very many issues in the field that couldn't be remedied by either a bit of lube or even a bolt exchange. I carry a complete spare BCG and bolt for each AR caliber I bring, for just such an event.

Flyboy - where do you do your p'dogging? For the last couple of years, the p-dogs around here have been decimated by plague and exuberant ranchers with poison. I'm curious if your populations are still healthy.
          Last edited by NugginFutz; 07-11-2014, 12:35 AM.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

We go to Lubbock, Tx. I've found the same thing with land owners poisoning them. There used to be options in Southern Oklahoma, all around West Texas. Now the only options I can find locally are Lubbock and just across the line into New Mexico. When I say local, I mean a 6 hour drive, Im in the Dallas area.

The populations are pretty healthy, they had some good rain finally. We've cancelled a couple of trips due to the drought and heat over the years. They were there, but just wouldn't come out of the hole. The place we hunted the last 3 years saw two different sets up pups each year, an early bunch and a late bunch. They seem to be doing well.

I'll need to load some Grendel ammo for PD hunting, I dont want to use those expensive Barnes rounds for that! I have a spare bolt for 5.56 and .264 LBC. That would cover a backup, bcgs are interchangeable. That's a good idea. My buddy and I both usually carry an armorers bag and full spares kits. Get a little more time on the Grendel besides hogs and deer.

Comment

• deadeyerick
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2013

I just booked a PD hunt for next year in South Dakota. I went to Wyoming 15 years straight. I am going to concentrate on 1000 yard plus, and will use me Precision Firearms Grendel with 123 grain Lapuas. I will also bring my 220 Swift, and Savage in 223. Maybe an AR with 69 gr SMK

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I just got back from my Praire Dog trip to Wy, we were on a 7200 foot plateau and had a great time. I ended up shooting a little over 100 rounds of Nosler 123 grain CC reloads using 31.0 grains CFE 223 and CCI 450's in AA brass. Great fun but spent a good bit of time sight seeing instead of shooting PD's.

We did quite a bit of target shooting and I hit an 18" wide T shaped steel target set up at 880 yards in an 8 MPH wind. I hit the target 5 out of 5 shots shooting off a bench using a bipod and rear bag. The 5 shot group measured 10" between the furthest hits.

The Praire Dogs hadn't been shot at much so I used a Savage 17 HMR the most. The rifle had a sweet 17 scope and it was no challenge to hit the critters out to 200 yards with this combo and Hornady 17 grain HMR ammo.

This was a great trip and beautiful state.

Comment

• Lonehill
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2013

Definitely want at least two rifles. You get in a really good spot and things are going to heat up. Went to northern New Mexico on elk hunt and spent the heat of the day P'dogging. Used my R-15 .223 to mop up mounds in close and out to 350. Then set it aside to cool and opened up with the .22-250 popping standing dogs out to 500. Pretty stiff wind out that far, was holding 18" to the side and got two back to back at 490 something. It's addictive and you end up sending a lot more rounds downrange than you think you are. Had heat waves coming of the barrel miraging the scope. My buddy is a hell of a shot and was hitting them pretty regular at 200 with a .22lr ! Can't wait to go try it again

Comment

Working...
                  X