• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bauer861
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2014

Binos and Scope

I am considering adding a set of Steiner Binoculars - Nighthunter Xtreme 8x56 and a Steiner Rifle Scope Nighthunter Xtreme 3-15x56 to my AA 6.5 Grendel 20" Advanced Weapon System rifle.

I am currently in Germany and looking to bring rifle over and use it for some hunting here.

Does anyone have any experience especially at night for boar.

Any alternatives I should consider?
  • lilharcher
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

If you have the intention of hunting with your rifle, I strongly advise against a 56mm objective......too heavy and bulky. To keep the weight down, I suggest a 42 or 44mm (preferred), and 50mm max (probably still too bulky and heavy). Just my $0.02.

Comment

• explorecaves

Double check the hunting rules there.... quick google search came up with this:

There are no caliber restrictions for shooting although 12, 16 and 20 bore shot are the norm. Automatic or semi-automatic weapons with space for more than two cartridges in the magazine are not permitted for hunting in Germany.

Comment

• lilharcher
        Warrior
        • Feb 2013

explorecaves, I could be wrong but his post seems to say that he is interested in bringing the rifle from Germany to the US (Virginia) for the use of hunting.

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by Bauer861 View Post
          I am currently in Germany and looking to bring rifle over (from the states) and use it for some hunting here (in Germany).
          This statement says otherwise (red text is my interpretation)....

Comment

56 mm scopes are the norm in Germany for night hunting, they aren't to big or bulky, at least some are compact and light. I have the 3-12X56 Zeiss HT rail mount with #60 lighted reticle and ASV -2 ballistic turrets. I bought it in Europe after using one at night with no lights on boar. I have it on my Blaser R8 professional success in 9.3X62 and it is a hog killing machine. I use the Zeiss for high stand and an Aimpoint H1 for driven hunts, those 286 grain Lapua Megas just hammer the hogs.
            Bob

Comment

• lilharcher
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

Could be right, as I obviously interpreted the opposite. But yours makes sense

Comment

• Bauer861
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2014

explorecaves is correct. I would be bringing the weapon to Germany. Also correct that there are magazine restrictions and one could get a smaller mag to use for this purpose. I just finished my German hunting course in March. Lots of differences from US courses. 10 week course included shooting proficiency for rifle, shotgun, and pistol. The requirements are not caliber specific for game but energy specific. 1000 J to 2000 J minimum depending on the game. Weapons also must be proofed, although there are some exceptions. I have some options on scopes and discounts available here in Germany from my hunting course.
                May not get the chance to bring it back with me when I visit the states in May, but I am just anxious to get this weapon in my hands and see what it does. Might just have to buy another gun in Germany I can bring home and scope it. I do have a 50 in a Leupold but want a good nighttime scope were NV and other options aren't legal.

Comment

• explorecaves

I think your best bet would be to get another gun (likely a bolt gun) in Germany. Mainly because I do not know of a magazine that is available that would limit your rounds to the specified total. You would have to modify an existing mag.... and I do not know the legalities in Germany regarding mag capacities in general.

Comment

Buy a Benelli R1, They shoot fast and have very good pointability (Not a word, I know) I used one in Germany for a Boar hunt while on leave, yes the German hunting test is rough for most people, mostly because of the moving targets, I used a Zeiss Scope but it was very low power (Maybe a 2-8) cant remember exactly the power. worked very well

Comment

Working...
                    X