• May 2011

write up on my indy hunt

96gr vmax meets coyote.

welcome feedback
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Nice write-up.

Okay, what am I missing. You seem pleased that the entry and exit wounds are clean, especially the exit with no blowup. I understand about being fur-friendly, but I would expect VMAX to be more apt to come apart and more apt for a blowup as you called it, especially at that velocity. Given the bullet construction, I would have expected a large exit wound. Is this not the case with VMAX?
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• babaganoush
      Warrior
      • Jan 2013

I suspect, double naught, that it is a function of velocity. Last year, a coyote I took with the 87gr VMax, shot from my .243 Win, resulted in significantly greater blow out on the exit wound. The song dog was crossing a large bosque, left to right, at about 100 yards. I hit her solidly on the shoulder, and dropped her DRT. Entry would looked like TOTT's, but the exit was out the far shoulder, and the size of a golfball. MV on the 243 was about 3600 fps.

I don't know what tissues TOTT's 95 went through, but my 87 grain went through a lots of muscle. Dog weighed around 30 lbs.
      "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
        Warrior
        • May 2011

i have killed 3 with this round now, one had no exit, maybe 75 yds head on shot, the 2nd was again about 75yds head one lots of blood and hair, but lost the dog (went into a deep, deep den) so I cant say how that one performed, and this one.
        trying for more tonight : )

Comment

• babaganoush
          Warrior
          • Jan 2013

Sounds like the VMax is doing exactly what it is supposed to. Good job, and good luck. I wish I had the circumstances to go out on weeknights to enjoy a bit of R&R.
          "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

I suspect, double naught, that it is a function of velocity
            I dunno. It should be violently expanding even at low velocities according to Hornady. I would have expected a larger hole and not being all that fur-friendly.

•Mfg Item Num: 22601
            •Bullet Type: V-Max
            •Caliber: 6.5mm (.264 diameter)
            •Weight: 95 gr
            •Quantity: 100 per box
            •The dramatic fragmentation of the V-MAX bullet comes from a combination of the copper jacket, specially designed core and polymer tip.
            •The industry's leading varmint bullet with polymer tip and streamlined design results in ultra flat trajectories.
            •The match grade jacket design provides maximum accuracy at all ranges as well as explosive expansion, even at low velocities.
            •V-MAX bullets are available in factory-loaded Varmint Express and Superformance Varmint ammo.

Comment

• babaganoush
              Warrior
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
              I dunno. It should be violently expanding even at low velocities according to Hornady. I would have expected a larger hole and not being all that fur-friendly.
              In no way do I disagree, dns. I would have expected more, based on my own experiences. I've found these things quite devastating on rabbit, prairie dog and coyote. The OP did note, however, that this one was a single instance, whereas his other experiences would seem to be more in line with the expected behavior of the VMax.

I mentioned tissues in my original post as a means of other possible explanation. Finally, this would not be the only case where a bullet has not behaved in an expected fashion. I've personally seen some ice-picking through soft tissue, but only at much longer range (800-900 yards), with the corresponding drop in velocities.
              Last edited by babaganoush; 04-15-2014, 08:51 PM.

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• tackdriver
                Warrior
                • Feb 2013

Maybe I am missing something but I thinks the"function of velocity" tools is speaking of is not low velocity but high velocity(50 yd shot) and the bullet just punching a hole.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                  Warrior
                  • May 2011

that is one reason I want to do these "studies" a friend of mine uses .243 and was using a "match bullet" it has left some pretty big holes, hoping to get as many kills as I can : ) to get a good cross section of bullet performance. I have also dropped some with my .223 with the vmax and have seen some pretty big holes, trying a bit heavier bullet now, and also trying a 77gr match bullet in one rifle, but haven't been able to connect with it yet. I also had a customer get a coyote a couple of weeks ago with the 123gr amax, it opened her up pretty good and he reported a large entrance hole as well which is odd. (clear shot btw.)
                  hopefully my testing will help people make a good choice in bullet for predator and deer hunting.
                  for deer in the Grendel I have killed one with one of sneakys 105 IB's, a 100gr TTSX and a 123gr Amax, all performed great, but its a different goal with a deer.
                  so far I am liking the 95gr vmax, jsut need to get some more fur down to get a better cross section of how it acts.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Given your results so far, I would remove the statement from your write-up that you find the round to be fur-friendly. You don't have the data to back of the statement and your results so far are pretty ambiguous. Please don't take offense, but you did say that you welcomed feedback.

Comment

Working...
                    X