How To Gain Access To Private Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Gain Access To Private Land

This is a post about how 2 of us in the hoard are getting access hunt on a ranch in Florida. It started for me when I used my GI Bill to get a degree as a Physician Assistant. Then I moved out of the big cities and into a small town where there is at least some land around. After a few years a patient of mine mentioned that he was running hog hunts on his ranch and gave me his card. I called a month later and used my Grendel It cost me maybe $200. Afterword we talked for a while and I noticed he drank beer. I called and did it again a month before deer season and brought him a 6pack of exotic beer. He said "no cost for you doc" and invited me for a deer hunting weekend. And I was respectful of his property and brought donuts OJ and of course a different exotic beer and I showed enthusiasm for the hunting. And then he called me when his wife or kids got sick and I help where I could. And I got invited to turkey and dove hunts- so I went right out and bought a shotgun and showed up every time and never got a turkey but socialized with the family and brought exotic beer and got invited to family birthdays and weddings and I brought my family over too. Then early this year I mentioned on this forum that I hunted on the Cracker Trail and the only member who had any idea what I was talking about was Custom Cutter. We corresponded a few times on the PMs and I found that CC was a turkey hunter that had to go out of state for turkey hunting. So since I am a complete failure at turkey hunting I invited him over to see the ranch and meat the rancher. Everyone liked each other, (CC gave the rancher a handmade present) so I got permission to bring customcutter out to call turkeys for me. CC was respectful, safe and a hard hunter, just the kind of guy you want to hunt with. I got my first "real" turkey last weekend (excuse the picture, it flopped into the water after being shot). I conclude the rancher got an experienced turkey hunter that will guide a novice. Customcutter got a new place to hunt and I got a guided turkey hunt.
    -------------------------------------
    [IMG[/IMG]
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Cool, thanks for sharing your story. Nice turkey, I hope it was good.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Good story and congratulations on the turkey!

Comment

• usmc1371
        Warrior
        • Aug 2011

Good job.

Comment

• jawbone
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

great story! thanks for the share.

Comment

• customcutter

Clark, congrats on the bird. Hope you enjoy it. Did you get pics of the knife yet? I took pics during the process but didn't have time to take a "finished" picture. If you get it, go ahead and post it up or send it to me and I will. You need to finish the story with the 16 deer that came through in 4 groups in less than 15 minutes, while I was calling the birds in. The deer were an incredible site, it was hard to beleive they came in that close, looking for the turkey. Our host and the rest of the guys were great, we really had to "rough it". Lobsters and everything else!

Comment

No I havn't gotten those pictures from the rancher of that hand made knife you presented him with. Twas a thing of beauty. I will post if/when I get it. And yes those deer at 25 feet were way cool. I guess I forgot to tell the horde that not only were we hunting someones private land, we were put up in a room with hot showeres and cold A/C. and we got fed . Lobster tails and pulled pork and ribs and roast beef and greens. All we brought were donuts. OH And someone put 3 cases of free beer in the walk in cooler which the land owner and I worked on after you left. .. Like you said its better to have friends then enemies... Any way customcutter, check your pm and we will see if anything can b done about that deer problem he has.

Comment

• customcutter

Just checked, don't see any PM's. I hope I hear from Brian, I really want to get a custom box call his dad makes, and one of his custom aluminum pot calls. I still can't believe how much that guy sounds like a real turkey. He should be on tour or in some of the national calling contest.

Comment

HM2,

Congratulations on the thunder chicken! Amazing what manners and being a respectful guest can bring you!

Mmmm. Beer.

Comment

Look again Costomcutter, If nothing still, call me between 6 and 9 pm weekdays.

Comment

Working...
                    X