Building 8 rifles for fun, what should I build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building 8 rifles for fun, what should I build?

Im thinking of building the lowers out that I bought last year into rifles. I already have
    18" Grendel (Satern custom profile)
    10" 5.56 Pistol/SIG Brace
    10" 300AAC Pistol/Sig Brace
    20" 5.56 with Kreiger Fluted/Cryo'd barrel .920"
    16" 5.56 M4 Replica down to Aimpoint M68
    16" 5.56 M4 style barrel

been kicking around the following ideas
    16" 300AAC
    24" 6.5 Grendel
    16" 458 SOCOM
    22LR (cheaper to buy a M&P15-22 I'm told)
    16-18" 204 Ruger
    6mm in 223 case (Forgot what they call it, haven't really looked)
    Ares Belt fed upper
    16" slide fire dedicated rifle
    20" M16A1 replica
    20" M16A4 replica
    7.62x39
    7.62x40 WT
    Biathlon rifle without the gas system (British style)
    Piston Rifle
    6.8 SPC (Had one but sold it before I shot it)

also looking at different handguards:
    Noveske NSR
    AP Custom
    Seekins
    Wilson Combat
    Fortis REV (Already have but not using right now)
    DPMS 3g rail

Different parts I wouldnt mind trying:
    Piston system (Adams or others)
    different stocks, different grips
    Billet uppers (would like to try some)
    JP heat sinks
    JP side cocker
    Vortex 1-4 optic

Any recommendations, I'm getting bored and want to start some new projects now that hunting is over for the year, (Maxed out Turkey's last week with 2 Osceolas, hogs are getting harder to find hunts, deer are done for the year)
    Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2014, 10:25 PM.

Build 1- 300AAC Carbine (Guest Rifle)

Lower: Anderson
    Upper: PSA
    Hand Guard:
    Stock:
    Grip:
    BCG:
    Barrel: 16" HBAR profile 300AAC
    Optics:
    Accessories:
    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2014, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Build 2 Lightweight Grendel

Lower: Anderson
      Upper:
      Hand Guard: Fortis Rev
      Stock:
      Grip:
      BCG:
      Barrel:
      Optics: 3-9 Redfield or Leupold Mark AR II
      Accessories: Single point Sling, QD, Fortis Foregrip, BCM Charging Handle
      Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2014, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I posted the above to kinda show the Progress and the decisions made, I'll Change the info once each is built

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Unless you're looking for a bench gun I wouldn't go longer than a 20". I've got a 24" with a bull barrel I lugged around through the brush last deer season. It was almost like hauling around a longer SAW. Having a 16" Grendel will be a God send.

I'd be really interested in your take on running a 10" Grendel pistol with you have the 10" 5.56 and 300 blackout. I've also been interesting in trying out the Vortex 1-4x. I've been looking for one at the right price to put on my .223 wylde and compare it with my TA31F ACOG. I'd also like to get an HHS I to compare next to them.

I've been thinking building a 5.45 to have a cheapish blaster. That might be something to look at.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Buster
            Warrior
            • Mar 2012

I have 7.62x39 16" with an Eotech on it that REALLY fun to shoot and REALLY cheap to shoot.
            Oh yeah, my 15 rd Grendel mags cycle the 7.62x39 ammo REALLY well.
            It's so much fun to shoot, I'm using my Build Box to do a 20" 7.62x39.

*Side note: My wife was cleaning house the other day and asked if she could throw away my empty Build Box. "Hell No Woman! Time to build out a 20" 7.62x39."
            I couldn't hear her mumbled response as she walked away, but it was something along the lines of; "Jesus Christ, the floor in this house is going to collapse."
            Me: "What did you say?"
            Her: "I love you!"

Maybe I need to make a trip to Home Depot for foundation support...

Comment

• Kikn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2011

I didn't see .50 Beowulf on your list one of the reasons I bought one was because the bolt from my Grendel was interchangeable with the wulf.

Comment

I can "help" you out here...

I wouldn't waste the time with anything op-rod driven. For modern handguards, you really might want to consider the BCM KMR.

You might also consider a SOPMOD II clone, as well as an SPR Mod 0 Clone.

Comment

Comment

my Grendel was supposed to by my MK12 clone, I had the barrel cut to profile with a "Sample " in our Armory, I measured it for a 12th Model OPS inc. I had a PRI handguard for it but it was too heavy to tote around, love the idea of a NODAK lower and a A1 Clone. I have triangle grips already. I wasn't aware of the Wulf's bolt was interchangeability with the Grendel. I had a 50 in our vehicle for most of my last deployment but never fired the thing, it had regular M4 style handguards on it and a Magpul stock someone put on it. but I only had 20 rounds of Ammo for it so it was useless, I figured Id use it at a TCP or something, never did but carried it around once while waiting for a detainee. Thought the 50 had a mag problem, thats why i thought the 458 would work better because of bullet selection and mags. Want a good cerakote build, all mine look alike.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2014, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• explorecaves

.458 SOCOM
                      20" M16A1 replica
                      20" M16A4 replica
                      Ares Belt fed upper (because 'Murica)

Not on the list, but should be (IMHO)
                      6.5 Grendel Pistol
                      50 Beowolf
                      9mm carbine

Comment

not sure about pistol but 9mm and 50 would be good, every time I look at 9mm it takes me to 40 which makes me think why not 10mm, damn it would be nice bet that thing would do some fast shooting on hogs. I'm out for that 10 hog kill in a pack, got 6 and it was a rush, shooting as fast as I could, two of us have gotten 8 but want 2 guys, 10 hogs down speed. 223 doesnt really get it, so I use a 300 Pistol/Sig Brace with a Geisselle trigger and an Aimpoint, maybe a Cmore would drop some time or if I use a pistol caliber AR.

the Ares belt fed would be great with a RDIAS but I hear it wont keep up, something about the delinker not being spring loaded or something (Really haven't looked much because it damn expensive) I think the short barrel in a Grendel will make me want to shoot fast which will keep my kids from going to college.

Comment

Joker, every now and then the title of a thread brings out the obnoxious child in me.
                          -So, there is a "What should I build?" thread on a site dedicated to the Grendel. Hmmm..... maybe Grendels?

I am actually proud of our members because they did not come up with 8 different configurations in 6.5 Grendel!

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Ares belt fed would be a fun toy but expensive. I would only invest in one if I had a registered full auto lower. Full auto Ares would be fun over dose, semi auto, big yawn. I only use a Adam Arms piston on a short barreled upper that is suppressed. They worked perfectly for me but they are a lot heavier and recoil more than the DI system. Since we now have reliable DI adjustable gas blocks I have more or less abandoned the gas piston. I would go for the 7.62X40 or 6.8spc over the 7.62X39 in any AR rifle. I noticed you don't have a 16" Grendel which is my favorite barrel length in that caliber, for my use. A dedicated suppressed short barreled 300 Black out would be a great build to think about. Retro builds are cool for some but I grew up with them so a retro build to me would be a flint lock.

Comment

How about an ultra light Grendel build? Handy for haulin' around hunts.

Comment

Working...
                              X