• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmsims21
    Warrior
    • Nov 2012

Dry Fire Device - Patent Pending

My Dry Fire Device is now officially patent pending.

The device speeds up dry fire practice. Instead of breaking your shooting position to rack the charging handle, you just push the lever with your index finger of your shooting hand to re-cock the hammer.
    I have it shown with the upper off, but it works with the upper on and the bolt removed.
    I do have some ideas for add-ons and to make it automatic.

To assemble, just open the upper, pull out the bolt (you can leave the charging handle in), slide the device in through the top of the magwell until the mag catch locks in, close the upper back up, and you are ready.

I will be getting 100 of them made in a within a month or two. The price should be around $45 + shipping. Hopefully I can make a little money and get a non-provisional patent, then sell the rights to it.

Please ask questions and give your thoughts.
    I design custom automation equipment for a living. I have people say machines I have designed are horrible. Sometimes they don't know I designed it and sometimes they do.
    All of that to say, I have thick skin, so feel free to give constructive criticism.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dmsims21; 04-18-2014, 05:03 AM. Reason: Original lacked detail.
    www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device
  • dmsims21
    Warrior
    • Nov 2012

I do need a better name for it.
    Any ideas for a better name?

Comment

• dmsims21
      Warrior
      • Nov 2012

I realized I didn't explain what it does.
      The device speeds up dry fire practice. Instead of breaking your shooting position to rack the charging handle, you just push the lever with your index finger of your shooting hand to re-cock the hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
        I do need a better name for it.
        Any ideas for a better name?
        How about "Trigger Trainer"? First thing that came into my head.

Comment

• rasp65
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Looks interesting call it DMS DF D-Vice

Comment

• dmsims21
            Warrior
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
            Looks interesting call it DMS DF D-Vice
            Probably my favorite name so far.

Comment

• dmsims21
              Warrior
              • Nov 2012

Bump

Comment

• Butterbean
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

Trigger Time or DMS Trigger Time.....and I want one.
                Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Probably my favorite name so far.
                  No, no, no, no.... It's a "Tactical" DMS DF D-Vice! you gotta add the tactical man!

People will never just buy a useful item otherwise. And don't forget to flood the gun rags with multiple adds.

Then later come out with a multicam colored special addition one that's held by a REAL NAVY SEAL in a photograph, and label that one the "Tier 1 Tactical DMS DF D-Vice"...... Then you'll have sales to people who don't even know what it does.
                  Last edited by Variable; 04-20-2014, 05:40 AM.
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Butterbean View Post
                    Trigger Time or DMS Trigger Time.....and I want one.
                    When you said "Trigger Time" that reminded me of "Trigger Man" from GI Joe's Calvin Episode.LOL

Robot Chicken's GI Joe Episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3dg9VURMU

Comment

I have some notes and design points I can share, I did some work on this before, Mine used a rachet device that allowed 10 dryfires then needed to be reset or infinite times, your choice. I also had a mock up that worked and reset fine, it also allowed it to be printed with a 3d printer. I'll look for the files if you have a printer, I had 3 prototypes made but stopped because it was going to be too expensive to sell and make money, think unit price was only going to allow a profit of 3.50 or so.

Comment

• dmsims21
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2012

Joker31, send whatever you have. My Idea can only get better.
                        I understand about being too expensive. I tried to keep mine as simple as possible.
                        It has 3 plastics parts, 4 screws and a spring. Eventually the parts can be injection molded. That will bring the cost down a lot.
                        For now, I have a local machine shop making the parts with CNC. I got a good price by buying 100 units.

Comment

• dmsims21
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2012

I just sent the final drawings for the first 100 units to the machinist.
                          I will keep this thread posted on the status.

Is Paypal the best way to handle payment? Eventually I will need to set up a website, but I don't want to fool with that now.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I just sent the final drawings for the first 100 units to the machinist.
                            I will keep this thread posted on the status.

Is Paypal the best way to handle payment? Eventually I will need to set up a website, but I don't want to fool with that now.
                            The problem with paypal is their anti-gun stance. I'm not sure how that works lately with accessories, but it might be dicey. A lot of guys on Arf and other websites specify "discrete" paypal (gift or otherwise, with NO mention of firearms in the transaction), but you still have a chance of them jacking your money that way. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about it than me will chime in soon.

I know papypal is the 800 pound gorilla on the block, but hopefully there is a way to do it safely without any chance of getting messed with.

Good luck, and I hope you sell a bunch of them.

Comment

• dmsims21
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2012

Good news. The machine shop is going to start next week. It should not take more than a week to finish.

Does anyone have any experience with an EBay store?
                              Maybe I should sell them on GunBroker.

Comment

Working...
                              X