• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AmishEskimoNinja
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2013

123 A-max vs. 123 SST

123 gr A-maxes have been hard to find lately and I'm almost out. I've got a box of 123 gr SST's I'm thinking about breaking into. I know this bullet is intended for hunting, but how does its accuracy compare to the A-max? Are the loads equivalent for the two?
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Let me know, when you find out. I've been shooting the Amax exclusively for over a year, but recently bought a couple boxes of SSTs, back a couple of months ago.

My sources tell me that they are nearly equivalent, but I can't say that for myself.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Hornady revamped their manufacturing processes with the AMP jackets right before they started cranking out 123gr A-MAX for the 6.5 Grendel. They applied the updated manufacturing processes to their hunting projectile lines, to include the SST.

That has shown itself with the 123gr SST's, and I think the ogive shape helps with accuracy as well. It's probably one of the best dual-use bullets on the market, for both hunting and target work from 6.5mm rifles and carbines.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2014, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Im kind of irritated that it looks like they are SST all the way now. My rifle shoots lights out with the Amax and if you look on Hornadys web site the ballistic coefficient for the Amax is higher than the SST. I dont really want to lose some of the flight capability just because i have to switch to another bullet. But i guess eventually ill have to or either reload. I just like to get with what bullet works and stay with it.

Comment

I think the Ogive is a little bigger on the SST isn't it? I personally have used the Amax for everything and never used SST's, instead I went to Barnes for 120gr TTSX's because I couldn't find SST's at the time. I love Barnes but damn they hurt to buy.

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
            ...if you look on Hornadys web site the ballistic coefficient for the Amax is higher than the SST. I dont really want to lose some of the flight capability just because i have to switch to another bullet.
            BC for both is listed as the same (.510).

123gr A-max: http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5mm-....del-LBC-Lapua/

123gr SST: http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5mm-....del-LBC-Lapua/

I think the bullets probably start out as the same shape in production, but adding the cannelure changes the SST slightly. The ogive is perhaps squeezed slightly forward, and pressure (along with MV) with otherwise identical loads seems slightly higher with the SST.

I've shot both bullets out to 600 yards. The SST has ~0.1-mil more drop (~2") when dialing up to 600 from a 200-yard zero using the same powder charge. (That's just one click difference on my scope's elevation turret.)

Accuracy is about the same for both using handloads. (A-max might have a slight edge, but the difference is negligible.)

I haven't shot factory SST, but wouldn't hesitate to shoot it exclusively if it was safe and accurate in my rifle.
            Last edited by Drifter; 04-20-2014, 03:29 PM.
            Drifter

Comment

• Slappy
              Warrior
              • Feb 2014

Have not shot anything other than 123SSTs out of my rifle, if it works why change it. My opinion is kiss. BANG BANG!!

Comment

Thats weird it does show the same ballistic coefficient now. It didnt use to when they first released it which is why i never bought any. They just sit on the shelf around here when i see em. I guess ill try them out.

Comment

Probably mixed them up with the 129gr SST, which has a lower BC.

Comment

• acourvil
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2013

The AMAX and SST both shoot well for me; there might even be a slight edge for the SST.

Comment

Working...
                    X