Side Charged Upper Guide - Many great options to choose!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwh
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

It sounds like you are describing the Cross Hill receiver that has a plug that screws into the back of the receiver.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

RWH, good lead! You nailed it. You win 50 points!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• hydrotech
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        JP and Spartan. I have a design that does that, but has a much lower profile cocking handle. The biggest concern is debris ingestion, which the AR15 T handle is better at than any other assault rifle design I have seen.

The AK is one of the worst for debris ingestion. That receiver and cover allow way too many things to get in there, and is one of the most dead trigger susceptible designs out there.

I've always loved the cocking handle location on the FAL, as well as the MP44.
        Does that mean that you like the side charging uppers that still use the T-shaped charging handle as a backup? rather than the ones that eliminate it?

Comment

• hydrotech
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I have ordered a criterion barrel and bolt from precision. I am thinking of saving a little extra money up and getting a side charge upper. The precision firearms upper is not listed on the list. Is it a non-reciprocating? I have been looking at the precision firearms and the Gibbz side charge uppers. Anyone have both or have any comments on them?

Comment

• Dpr64
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

looks like several of these companies have gone by the wayside... I am interested in one of the ambidextrous side chargers that are reciprocating and have a removable bolt handle on each side (left side charge, right side eject) AND without the rear charging handle slot.
            Does this exist anymore or ??

Comment

• Rickc
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

If you can get one the DPMS low pro heavy wall side charger builds a great precision rifle

CMT tactical ls another good one

Last edited by Rickc; 05-01-2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Dpr64, have you looked at the joebob's sidecharging upper it's not exact key like you are wanting but is close, it's what I'm going to use on my 22 inch build.

Comment

• Dpr64
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2016

Those are nice but I was looking for one with the reciprocating handle on the left side and the ejection port on the right (crosshill, Lar, etc) but without the rear charging handle slot, jammed shell button, and the deflector bump.. The darn crosshill tech one would have been just about perfect I think..

Comment

• karmavore
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2017

Find the perfect AR-15 Stripped Upper Receivers for your next build! Available in both billet and forged options, shop and save today with Bear Creek Arsenal!

BCA hs pretty good deals on side chargers. I got mine last week and it's very beefy.

Comment

• Schrambo
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by karmavore View Post
                      https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-receivers

BCA hs pretty good deals on side chargers. I got mine last week and it's very beefy.
                      I agree, great price and beefy... It'll be on my next build, I'll post feedback then...

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2011

We have a side charge system too.

We've done it again! Heavy Walled Upper Receiver precision machined from 7075 T6 Billet Aluminum. Much stiffer and stronger than a Forged Upper. Very close attention to detail is evident in this upper. Each Unit is serial numbered to help with quality control and responsibly of our machine Techs and goes through a comprehensive 25 Step Quality inspection. Each unit is engraved with 7075 so there is no question as to material used. The bore through center is Roller Burnished to create a Super Smooth surface for the carrier system. Notice relief cuts along rail to help prevent damage to rail when mounting accessories (no more white lines along edge of rail). Bolt catch area is enlarged to allow for use of ambi or extended bolt releases. INCLUDES Super Match carrier (no Bolt). No Forward Assist. Not needed with Right Side Reciprocating charging handle. No Shell Deflector or Port Cover Our Carrier modified to work with the side charge. M4 Feed Ramps Still accepts top standard charging handle for back-up. Feel fre...

Machined from 7075 T6 Billet
                        "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• Motorhead
                          Unwashed
                          • Sep 2016

I used an ar stoner side charging upper on my grendel which is a heavy long range gun. It is reciprocating right side only. It appears overly built and petty heavy. My gun shoots great but I'm not sure i gain anything other than being a little different. Luckily the standard uppers and side charging seem to be pretty close in price. My next one will be an sbr black out and will probably be t handle like my other battle rifles. I like having options though and playing with my black legos.

Comment

• Ditcher
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

I'm not a big fan of reciprocating charging handles. But thats just me.
                            I have had 3 side chargers that I built. The first one I did I used ASA side charger and love it. The quality is very good.
                            You can buy it with or with out the modified carrier. I think you can send in you're own carrier and they will notch it for you. I think the cost is 25.00. The folding handle is nice as well. The cons to this one is 1. It is expensive not the most expensive one out there but expensive. 2. You do have to have the bolt Modified. A small notch cut into the carrier. 3. The charging handle sits close to the bolt release. If the charging handle is back and you forget to move the handle forward and you hit the bolt release it will bit you're finger. Easy fix if you use the phase 5 level made for side chargers.

The other one I build I used a Matrix arms side charger. For the cost I like this one. Doesn't require no modification to the carrier. Has the dust cover and fwd assist which many do not have both. (tho i can't care much for the fwd assist)
                            I would say this one seals up good like a rear charger cause it has a plate that covers up the gap and has a spring built in to return the charging handle fwd. Charging handle wont bit your finger with release the bolt. Far as cons go I would say the machine work isn't near as good as the ASA or look as good as it does. Few more parts to this one.

3rd one I build was a NFA 9mm side charger. Machine work was good. Has the metal plate the covers the gap when the charging handle is fwd but it extends past the receiver when the handle is back. I would almost compare it to the Matrix arms side charger minus the dust cover, fwd assist and how the charging handle guide plate is made.
                            I ended up selling this one but now I kind of wish I kept it. lol

I will probably use the ASA for my 16" grendel build.

Comment

• jonny rotton
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2015

i just ordered a quality arms ambi upper that comes with two bolts. one ejects left the other right. i am right handed but have to shoot lefty because of a blind right eye.
                              i will shoot lefty, eject to the left, and have the bolt handle on the right. i am going to put in the 12" faxon barrel if/when i get it.

Comment

• js8588
                                Warrior
                                • Jul 2017

New BCG option (need to swap out the bolt, but for the price, who cares?)
                                Cobratac Parts for Barrels, Gas block, BCG, Dots, Scope, Optic, Iron sight, Handguard, Upper & lowers, Brakes, Carriers, Stocks, LPK's, Buffers

Comment

Working...
                                X