Side Charged Upper Guide - Many great options to choose!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilharcher
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

Updated with Pics. I'm limited to only 10 attachments per post, so will need to post additional pics to post #2.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

I recently bought into my first side charge upper, made by New Frontier Armory. I did a side by side comparison to a MEGA Billet upper (non-side charge however same design).

Mega TOP NFA BOTTOM

Mega TOP NFA BOTTOM - notice asymetric shape of NFA to support the rail system design of the side charge handle

Mega TOP NFA BOTTOM

So I did the install over the weekend and noticed the following:

1) It is possible to mate the upper and lower together without capturing the rear door in a closed position. I would assume this would be bad as you'd have gas blowback into the shooter's face. When you pin lower to upper you must be aware to pinch down the rear flap and bring the halves together so that it holds the door down by the top of the buffer tube. Once it is pinched down (captured) it looks like it won't be coming out.

2) The side charge rail doesn't fully clear the standard mil spec lower buffer tube. So if you are running a forged lower you may have a clearance issue. I am running a polymer lower so the side charge rail cut a nice straight line into my lower, no problems or worries with finish because it is polymer!

Total cost of the NFA upper with specialty cam pin was 225.00 shipped.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

UPDATE -

Here are photos of the rear flap, one with door not pinned down the other correctly installed and pinched by lower receiver

Here is the clearance issue with my AR15 New Frontier Lower (Polymer) and the New Frontier Armory Billet Upper Receiver

Range Report -

No cycling or performance issues - Spent brass contacts the side of the receiver and leaves that gold imprint on the receiver that you normally find on most brass deflectors. Side charger is a positive action (no slop) with no added resistance compared to a normal charging handle.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

And a new discovery, I installed my scope to my preferred eye relief - zeroed it in. Came home to clean the gun and I cannot remove my BCG. The rear flap contacts the lower rear objective of the scope and the gas key won't clear the rear flap~!~

Comment

• ThatRandomGuy
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2013

Hunt,

Thanks for all the info reports! My friend/suitemate at college was thinking about getting this or the joebob one that's virtually identical. He's more a red dot guy so the scope clearance shouldn't be an issue for him, but that scratch from the charging motion might be. A question he has is whether with the door held open it would be possible to insert a "backup" standard charging handle? I feel like the special cam pin might prohibit one from working even if it fit, but I figured I'd ask for him.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

No way no how on the backup charging handle as the cam pin catch of the side charger rides the entire length within the channel designed for standard CH. See photo a few posts up comparing a non-side charge upper to the NFA.

Yes I am hopeful that my information will alleviate other consumers the nightmare of scratches anodized or coated lowers getting marred by the side charge rail.

I am a cheap SOB so polymers is all I have and run and if they get gouged I just smile and call it a character mark for my "Tool".

HTXH

Comment

• ThatRandomGuy
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2013

I somehow saw the picture and failed to notice that the first time. Thanks again, like I said I figured the cam would get in the way. I am kinda curious as to if there are any lowers that would be saved from the scratches, since some (like the mega) have non-circular extension designs and varying widths between manufactures.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

Also the New Frontier doesn't have the internal notch for the charging handle to enter the channel to hold it, so again another issue on that piece.

Comment

• arnie
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2013

I prefer the Cross Hill side charger upper .Easier to operate from the right side when laying prone or on a bench .I put a bolt release that operates from the right so my right hand does every thing .

Comment

• hydrotech
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

anyone have any new items to add to the list? I'd like to see an updated list as this post is older.

Comment

• customcutter
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

I was hoping this was a new thread as well. I bought a "slick side" upper and am planning on "machining" my own.

Comment

• Allen
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2014

Alexander Arms has a side charger upper too. That's what mine is.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

I want a side charger that closes up the charging handle slot at the rear of the receiver. Reduce gas face! Which brand/model is best for that?
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                              I want a side charger that closes up the charging handle slot at the rear of the receiver. Reduce gas face! Which brand/model is best for that?
                              JP and Spartan. I have a design that does that, but has a much lower profile cocking handle. The biggest concern is debris ingestion, which the AR15 T handle is better at than any other assault rifle design I have seen.

The AK is one of the worst for debris ingestion. That receiver and cover allow way too many things to get in there, and is one of the most dead trigger susceptible designs out there.

I've always loved the cocking handle location on the FAL, as well as the MP44.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                                Administrator
                                • Feb 2011

I agree that for a righty it makes sense to have a non-reciprocating cocking handle mounted left and forward. But I'm a minimalist and willing to make a compromise for the sake of simplicity, realizing I charge my rifle from the bolt-hold open position 10 times more than I do from a fresh mag.

So I want a right-side, reciprocating charging handle receiver, with the receiver rear completely eliminating the now-redundant rear charging handle and leaving only a slot for the gas key, which is plugged until opened for maintenance. Letting the charging handle serve as the brass deflector AND forward assist also smooths the receiver right side, not to mention reducing parts count.

Anybody make this? Probably not. Another thing to add to my list of Stuff To Invent.
                                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                                X